Awful coil whine! AsRock 800GM-LE FX

alexruiz

Platinum Member
Sep 21, 2001
I just put together a system using this mobo, and it has a coil whine that is beyond unbearable. At first I thought it was the cpu cooler, replaced it with another one, same whine. I then thought it was the hard drive, still same result.

After finally getting my ear close to the sources, it is the motherboard. I remember reading something about nail polish on the whinny coil. Is it true? I know RMA or exchange is the easiest path, but I like to avoid taking the system apart if 5-10 minutes with a bottle of nail polish or something similar can do the trick.

Need suggestions.

Thanks

dma0991

Platinum Member
Mar 17, 2011
The chokes on that motherboard are solid, there is no exposed area like older or cheaper chokes where the nail polish method would work. Making the nail polish work on this motherboard would mean cracking open the external shell of the choke which isn't an easy thing to do without damaging or voiding the warranty. You're voiding the warranty on a brand new board, I'd rather RMA it.

C1

Platinum Member
Feb 21, 2008
Ensure that it is not the PSU which is a common source/complaint for such problem. If you can, use your finger or a wooden dowel (ie, nonconductor) to press on each of the various (MB) components in attempt to identify the sound source. (Sometimes a wooden dowel is useful; with dowel against the ear, move it to the various components on the MB for source location/identification as the dowel readily conducts the sound.)

If the noise is able to be damped with the finger or by pressing on it with the dowel, then possibly application of some type of flexible bondo such as rubber cement, "Shoe Goo" or even better "stick caulk" or "Glue Dots" have a chance of damping the vibration. I like the ones mentioned because they are technically removable.

In any event, good luck.

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
You sure you dont have something plugged in with reverse polarity? This is a case where you need to take the comptuer completely apart and test it with just bare essentials. Power, RAM, CPU. Touch the power switch connector poles and it should turn on. You should get a BIOS beep code for keyboard and mouse. This eliminates the possibility of all other peripheral items causing the problems.

Remember even the wiring on the case can be bad. Also many motherboards have pezio speakers on the motherboard to create the BIOS beep codes. If the motherboard is bad maybe send it back unless it is a really low dollar item. If I had a bad motherboard, I would send it back and maybe not purchase another one from that manufacturer or at least avoid that model.

Make sure this is not something like fan vibration or a loos screw that fell down or something odd like a wire rubbing a fan.

It would not be the first time that some electronic manufacturer used the wrong size capaciter or electrical component. Samsung has been guilty of this when making TV's.

Last edited: