Awesome Games from the past year or two?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Willoughbyva

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2001
Well, I am just trying to get into gaming. TombRaider Anniversary is pretty decent if you like that sort of thing. Great looking game and it runs great on my system.

Perry

NYHoustonman

Platinum Member
Dec 8, 2002
Originally posted by: TBSN
Oh, i totally forgot about the new Splinter Cell's. The first one was one of my favorite games (not as good as metal gear solid though). Does anyone know if the problems with g80 and SC: double agent have been resolved?

Yep, that was fixed a while back - by driver revision if I remember correctly.

TBSN

Nov 12, 2006
ok cool. Too bad they never released a StarForce-free version of SC: Chaos Theory, even though they did stop using that copy protection. I really want to play it, but SF is really scary...

What about BF2/2142? Are they any good, and which one is better?

toughwimp11

May 8, 2005
what is starforce? I'm guessing its a copy protection thing but why would that mean you dont buy the game?

TBSN

Nov 12, 2006
It is copy protection, but it f*cks up your computer. It's bad enough that I would rather not put it on my computer, even if the game is really good. Pretty disappointing...

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
It is copy protection, but it f*cks up your computer. It's bad enough that I would rather not put it on my computer, even if the game is really good. Pretty disappointing...

i've had several games with star force and so has a friend of mine. we've never run into any problems.

my guess is that people that had problems with it pirated the game or something.

jzodda

Apr 12, 2000
I am in the same boat as the OP. My rig had not been updated since spring 2004 when I added a radeon X800 to the rig I built Nov 0f 2003. I put together the rig in my sig at the start of May 07 and am catching up. Here is what I went with and some of these can be found cheaper now as they are not new any more.

1. Oblivion+Shivering isles expansion+kights of 9 plugin. Also added many (bout 50) great mods like Quarls Texture pack 3 and OOO1.32 and MMM3.0 to make the game more interesting and look better. On ultra high detail levels with the Texture packs the game looks better then any out there imo.

2. Medieval 2: RTS game that looks great and is like Rome Total War in style.

3. C&C 3: addicting as usual

4. Stalker: Looks great and is fun FPS game

5. Neverwinter Nights 2: Haven't tried it yet but heard good things and it was on sale :)

6. FEAR: good FPS game

7. Supreme Commander: I have it (came with CPU), heard great things but have not tried it yet

8. Company of Heroes: Don't have it, but this one is on my wishlist

Schadenfroh

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2003
Originally posted by: toughwimp11
what is starforce? I'm guessing its a copy protection thing but why would that mean you dont buy the game?

Text
the StarForce 3.0 drivers are often linked to system instability and computer crashes.

the StarForce 3.0 drivers can cause optical drives to fail

There are also several cases of optical drive speeds being slowed down until they reach PIO mode.

On January 30, 2006, Boing Boing, a popular weblog, labeled StarForce as malware, alleging several problems associated with the protection system, including disk drive performance degradation, weakening of operating system security and stability. CNET also ran a similar story

StarForce 3.0 (all version known until August 2006) creates a real security problem when installed. The access control list of the drivers are set such that any user, including those without administrative rights, are allowed to change the association with the executable. Exploitation is simple: The user changes it to point at any arbitrarily chosen executable, which is executed with full system privileges on next reboot. This can be verified with the security tool "srvcheck2", which detects such potentially insecure driver configurations.

In March 2006, the hacker group RELOADED completely reverse-engineered StarForce 3.0, releasing a vast array of documentation about how StarForce works in the system and unveiling how several resource-hogging procedures were implemented by StarForce, such as emulated virtual machine functions and opcodes.

CP5670

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
ok cool. Too bad they never released a StarForce-free version of SC: Chaos Theory, even though they did stop using that copy protection. I really want to play it, but SF is really scary...

Well, Ubi stopped using it and instead switched to...Securom 7. :roll: I think that's even worse than Starforce because of the difficulty in removing it from your system. Starforce is at least easy to get rid of.

aCynic2

Apr 28, 2007
<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: colonel
I played Far cry , awesome . I m playing now Fear... and Doom III</end quote></div>

FEAR is totally awesome. It's definitely a different sort of FPS.

1. It's very story driven, even beyond anything you may have experienced with other FPSs.
2. Your opponents can act pretty intelligently.
3. There are some serious FX in the game. It's very bloody and violent and there is the language factor. It definitely earned its M rating.
4. No more of that stupid grenade launcher nonsense. I hated those things. I never used them in a SP game or MP server. I wanted more control than that thing gave.

Superrock

Oct 28, 2000
I don't have any patience for games anymore. If I can't understand it in 30 minutes I grow bored and play something I do understand.

Oblivion- I wish this game was simplier. It's very complicated and I don't like having to walk all over town to find things.

Titan Quest- Honestly I thought this game was kinda boring. I thought I'd like this game because I loved Diablo 2 but I guess I got sick of Diablo.

Warcraft 3- There are things I like about it and things I don't like about it. This is probably the closest thing to Starcraft 2(other than Starcraft 1) out right now. I would suggest trying this out even though it's about 3-4 years old.

Supreme Commander- I've heard good things about this but I haven't quite learned how to play yet. The tutorial is pretty bland.

Counterstrike Source- This seems exaclty like CS1 with better graphics.

Overlord seems like a simple, fun game I wanna try soon.

I got Psychonaunts because it was on sale. It seems pretty cool so far but it seems more like a console, third person perspective game than a computer game.