Award BIOS flash diskette

F117NightHawk

Aug 18, 2001
When making a BIOS flash diskette, it's necessary to copy system files to the diskette and make it bootable, correct? Also should the BIOS flash files be in a folder on the diskette or can they be in the root folder?

JustStarting

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2000
Yes- system files should be extracted onto the floppy. I'd leave the flash files in the root directory.

lucky9

Sep 6, 2003
boot.com has something that they call a basic flashing boot disk that has nothing on it that you don't download in it. i used that disk for a BIOS flash of my TX100Ultra IDE card. worked great.:D

Buz2b

Diamond Member
Jun 2, 2001
F117NightHawk,
The same info was given to you over in your original thread. As was explained, download the basic boot disk and copy it to the floppy. Copy the flash utility to the disk, along with the .bin file. The flash utility will tell you on the download page whether to unzip or not. All go straight onto the floppy. That and other info as to the exact procedure on flashing your board were in the info and link given to you in that thread.

F117NightHawk

Aug 18, 2001
Oh OK. I already unzipped everything. I put the unzipped stuff on the disk. I just wanted to doublecheck that I did it right.

Buz2b

Diamond Member
Jun 2, 2001
Originally posted by: F117NightHawk
Oh OK. I already unzipped everything. I put the unzipped stuff on the disk. I just wanted to doublecheck that I did it right.

You can do a sort of "mock trial" with the disk if you want. Reboot the system and go into the BIOS and select the floppy as the first boot device. Insert the floppy and exit, saving the changes. The system should boot to the floppy, eventually getting to the A prompt. Type in the name of your flash utility (for example A:/flash560) and click enter. You should get to the flash utility screen where it will ask you for the .bin or flash file. You don't have to do anything else from here because you haven't done anything to the system yet. You can exit from here just by restarting your system and removing the floppy. This way you can "get your feet wet without actually going through with the flash.
If you read on the flash procedure page you could also type in the flash utility followed by the bin file and start the flash from there. Or just type in the flash utility by itself and it will come up and ask for the .bin file on the next screen. Either way will work.