Aw great, another story about how cops are gun happy

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

JasonG

Oct 9, 1999
Why even bother arguing with Boberfett.

Obviously, he can't conceive of a cop doing anything wrong.

Cops can fire at anyone, anytime and it's apparently OK with him.

Maybe when it is a friend or family member of his, he will care that someone was killed by a cop.

Oh, but I guess his family and friends (and himself) are specially protected from cops bullets.

That cop could have killed more than just that guy easily by firing into a crowded party.

Cops are paid to protect the public, not kill them.

This kind of thing just makes the public more afraid of cops and the public is who cops are supposed to serve and protect.

Jason

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

<< Why even bother arguing with Boberfett. >>

Likewise.

<< Obviously, he can't conceive of a cop doing anything wrong.

Cops can fire at anyone, anytime and it's apparently OK with him.
>>

Cops can do wrong, and do. But this cop didn't. As far as firing at anyone, anytime, did this cop start shooting the other guests at the party? No, only the one that was waving a gun around.

<< Maybe when it is a friend or family member of his, he will care that someone was killed by a cop.

Oh, but I guess his family and friends (and himself) are specially protected from cops bullets.
>>

My friends and family aren't stupid enough to point guns at cops.

<< That cop could have killed more than just that guy easily by firing into a crowded party. >>

Well, that's possible. But it didn't happen so it's immaterial.

<< Cops are paid to protect the public, not kill them. >>

As I said before, he did protect the public here. How did he know this guy wasn't going to starting shooting the other party-goers. He was pointing a gun at people after all.

<< This kind of thing just makes the public more afraid of cops and the public is who cops are supposed to serve and protect. >>

The only people this should scare are those that point guns at people. If that includes you, then I wouldn't be too sad to see you shot down.

The moral of this story is don't point guns at people unless you want to get shot. It's that simple.

MetalTaz

Oct 24, 2000
Uh, dipsh!t, a lot of cops are killed, probably far more than innocents being killed by cops
BoberFett I didn't want to offend you i was trying to say my opinion. if that offended you I'm truly sorry !!

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
No offense taken, sorry to curse at you. This sort of thing really gets me riled up though. I've thought about going into law enforcement, and the crap that they take just isn't fair. Every little move they make is scrutinized to the point where it makes it nearly impossible for them to do their job.

A neighbor of mine had a brother who was a cop that was killed in the line of duty.

<< January 29, 1996, Brian Klinefelter, 24 , of the St. Joseph Minnesota police department, was found shot to death by a Sterns county deputy responding to his back-up call. Officer Klinefelter had identified a vehicle with three white males suspected of an armed robbery at the freeway liquor store in Albany around 9:00 p.m. that evening. Klinefelter radioed that the vehicle had no license plate. At approximately 9:15, a Sterns county deputy responding to officer Klinefelter's back-up call, found him lying on county road 75 of a gunshot wound. at approximately 10 p.m., two of the suspects were arrested, and the third was shot to death by a Benton county officer. Officer Klinefelter had just two years of police service, but was awarded officer of the year in '95. He is survived by his wife Cindy, three-month old daughter Caitlin and his parents. >>

And some people have the nerve to say that a cop shouldn't defend himself with deadly force. That just pisses me off.

JasonG

It must be easy to rest your case when you never had one to begin with.

Ulfwald

Moderator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
May 27, 2000
I was never a cop, but High risk security in DT Atlanta, and we were cnostantly placed in situations where we had to draw down on people. The one time I hesitated to draw, I got shot. That ended any dreams I had of becoming a cop. Now I sit behind a computer, with a partially disabled hand. I still pack heat, still realize it is a LAST resort issue, but like I said, if I am in any situation where I think he/she is about to shoot at me, then I am going to shoot first.

My decision is a split second decision, made on the fight or flight survival instinct, and last i checked, I still cannot out run or dodge bullets. So I choose to shoot instead.

Think about this,

It is dark, someone begins to point an object at you that, in your best judgement, resembles a gun. there is no orange tip that identifies it as a toy, what do you do, wait to see if there is a BANG, or do you draw down, assume a defensive posture, and shoot, thus possibly saving your life, and many others?

Your choice, Tried by 12 or carried by 6.