Aw great, another story about how cops are gun happy

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

bigvince

Banned
Aug 25, 2000
rmijer

DAMN RIGHT ya better learn how to handle some steal cause it's gonna be the quick and the dead!;)

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
rmeijer

How does "shooting in self defense against someone believed to be armed" equate to "kill indiscrimately if they are scared?" Or are you just using some of those liberal scare tactics?

bigvince

Banned
Aug 25, 2000
accualy bober thats not true

cops are trained to injure and mame not kill. of course when it comes down to it and they got somebody gunin' for them that $hit goes right out the window.

Czar

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

<< What happens when folks are scared of cops and cops are scared of regular citizens...? >>

So true, this is what is happeneing in america

Soybomb

Diamond Member
Jun 30, 2000
What? Cops are too trained to kill with their shots. You don't see them out at the range aiming for the legs of a cardboard cutout. You make a central mass shot and drop the perp. Seriously think about it when you guys say he should have &quot;dodged.&quot; This isn't the matrix here people. If you pull a gun on a cop, you better be ready to dodge yourself. If you hop out of your car when you get pulled over for speeding, you'll get a gun drawn on you most likely. If you have a gun or anything that might pass for one with you, you're probably gonna be shot.

Yes cops can shoot at who ever they want. Its up to the jury to evaluate if he should truly have been fearing for his life or not. The crappy example someone gave with assault by an intellimouse shows that yeah you could shoot me when i have a mouse in my hand. But the jury is probably going to put you away. You might disagree with what the cop did, but most cops would have, and should have done the exact same thing.

nEoTeChMaN

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I asked that question because I have several friends in the Police Force in Charlotte, NC and they have told me their experiences in shooting someone's leg or arm. Killing someone is the Last option.

randomlinh

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
linh.wordpress.com
ah, good point (to my comment earlier).

But this call was because it was a party.. meaning it was loud I assume? Why would a cop need to sneak around, especially in a high class neighborhood? shouldn't he just have gone to the door?

rmeijer

Oct 3, 2000

<<<How does &quot;shooting in self defense against someone believed to be armed&quot; equate to &quot;kill indiscrimately if they are scared?&quot; Or are you just using some of those liberal scare tactics? >>>

I would recommend not trying to think of the world as black and white (i.e. 'Liberal'==bad, 'Conservative'==good). Try, instead, to envision the type of society you want and the role that citizens and law enforcers should play in maintaining a peaceful law-abiding society (assuming, of course, that is your goal). Subscribing to narrow ideologies tend to be counter-productive.

I personally think that having everyone own guns, shooting folks who they believe are armed with a weapon (defined loosely) is a nifty formula for disaster. I see a society of fearful individuals who will more likely shoot than say hi. And for certain groups of individuals in our society, they already do fear for just this reason.

I know that certain folks disagree with that statement. That is what scares me.

Lalakai

Golden Member
Nov 30, 1999
after growing up in a police family and having a father that retired after 30+ years, it's very discouraging to see the young age of many police these days. Their training emphasizes survival and control versus assistance and enforcement. For a 6 year veteran to be a patrol sargent is not good; they lack the seasoning and experience to know the difference between a life threatening situation and something that can be diffused with another 1 second of consideration.

For those of you who consider the police to act too hastily, have you ever been in those situations???? It's not fun; that one second can seem to drag into eternity when you might die the next second. There is no easy answer but there are many good places to start: pay the police what it's worth to risk your life every day (very discouraging to have a factory worker punching parts on an assembly line who makes more money then a police officer), don't play jokes on the police by pointing toy guns at them to make your friends laugh, have enough police so that we can see them on a daily basis interacting with the public as they were meant to (assist and enforce).

,..............do you know a police officer by 1st name?????

Cosmo

Nov 23, 1999
I don't understand how many of you people say that cops should be and are trained to kill any threat to them.

This must be an exclusive american thing. Emptying your entire clip into someone. I have actually never heard of this ever taking place in Europe. (I'm sure it could have but these kind of stories are pouring in from america).

And some of the police force in many european countries are quite grim looking (like the spanish guys for example).

I know for a fact that killing someone is not the way that most european officers are trained to handle possible threats. Stopping someone without killing them by shooting a limb or one or two shots to the torso is a definite possibility.

If emptying your entire clip into someone is your preferred response to any perceived threat I think something is very wrong.

Sword

Mar 20, 2000
Soybomb wote :

What? Cops are too trained to kill with their shots. You don't see them out at the range aiming for the legs of a cardboard cutout. You make a central mass shot and drop the perp. Seriously think about it when you guys say he should have &quot;dodged.&quot; This isn't the matrix here people. If you pull a gun on a cop, you better be ready to dodge yourself. If you hop out of your car when you get pulled over for speeding, you'll get a gun drawn on you most likely. If you have a gun or anything that might pass for one with you, you're probably gonna be shot.

Yes cops can shoot at who ever they want. Its up to the jury to evaluate if he should truly have been fearing for his life or not. The crappy example someone gave with assault by an intellimouse shows that yeah you could shoot me when i have a mouse in my hand. But the jury is probably going to put you away. You might disagree with what the cop did, but most cops would have, and should have done the exact same thing.

That is why i fear the american dream.... WAKE UP GUYS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

When you are DEAD you ARE DEAD !!!!! The jury may disculp you BUT YOU ARE DEAD, IT IS too late.

So if I see you with a mouse in your hand and I kill you, then maybe ill go to jail but YOU WILL BE DEAD.

That is the main point here. The death is not acceptable. In my opinion police officer are trained and have a salary for risking their life. IF THEY DONT WANT IT THEN THEY SHOULD LEAVE THEIR JOB.

Capn

Platinum Member
Jun 27, 2000
&quot;So true, this is what is happeneing in america&quot;

Thanks man. I had no idea about this. I've only lived here my entire life and yet some know-nothing from a backwater island in the middle of the atlantic can tell me how it is in America? My suggestion, don't swallow everything you see on the news. The US is a vast country, and these kinds of cases are the exception not the norm. I'm sure you can understand my view if I start babbling on about how it is in Iceland, even when I haven't been there.

GreekGod

Oct 22, 2000
What the Fark is wrong with you people. Shoot the Perp before the Perp shoots you?????

This board continues to scare me...

hans007

Lifer
Feb 1, 2000
this is so dumb. I mean normally you'll probably get your ass shot if you point a gun at a cop. But the guy was at a costume party with people in costume as cops. Normally if i were at a costume party, i'd assume there aren't any real copst there. The fact that the cop shot the guy &quot;multiple times&quot; was excessive.

eia430

Sep 7, 2000
Gun happy cops.... hmm a holloween party not too hard for someone (the person shot) to mistake the real cop for just another costume and pull a good natured prank. There must be some requirement for cops to be trigger happy because there's just too many of these &quot;accidental&quot; shootings from trigger happy pigs, er cops. It's stories like these that makes you sort of giggle when you read a story about a cop being shot to death.

desy

Diamond Member
Jan 13, 2000
Normally I'm all for police doing whatever it takes to protect themselves but I also want them to use their brains.
Lets see Haloween party? Guy in costume? I was at a party once where a guy who was a Cowboy had a real unloaded .357 as part of his costume in California We lifted the gun off him when he went to the bathroom and after about 30 min he came back looking for it, that was a little spooky.
back to topic some common sense should have prevailed but this sounds like one of these 0 tolerance type of deals. Lets see MAYBE the guy assumed the cop was in costume too ?? He should have done a better assesment of the situation before he pulled his gun, period.. .

Ulfwald

Moderator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
May 27, 2000
Update on that report

The &quot;gun&quot; in question was made out of hard grey rubber and was a replica of a desert eagle 357 semi automatic.

I don't know about any of you, but if I were in that situation, I would have dropped the &quot;perp&quot; like a bad habit. If it's a question of him or me, it will always be him!

Sword

Mar 20, 2000
ulfwald wrote :

Update on that report

The &quot;gun&quot; in question was made out of hard grey rubber and was a replica of a desert eagle 357 semi automatic.

I don't know about any of you, but if I were in that situation, I would have dropped the &quot;perp&quot; like a bad habit. If it's a question of him or me, it will always be him!

Ulfwald, are you a cop ? It is not a question of it would be him not me. I agree that if it was me, i am not a COP, maybe I would have shot 1 or 2 times...

BUT, as a COP, you have to THINK different ! YOUR task is to protect and serve the public!

As a cop, you DONT HAVE to protect and serve YOURSELF...

So I agree with most people here, that are not policeman, that maybe I would shot at the guy in a similar situation...BUT A POLICE OFFICER SHOULD NOT SHOOT at everybody for the only reason they fear for their life....

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Sword

Shooting someone with a gun is protecting the public. How was the cop to know that he wasn't going to shoot some of the other guests. Should he have waited until several people were lying dead before deciding to draw and fire?

MetalTaz

Oct 24, 2000
If a cop is in the street and a guy pulls out a gun at him, he should shoot!

If a cop is in a bank and a guy with a mask pulls out a gun at him, he shoots!

that's normal he was trained for that !!!

if a cop shows up at a privat halloween party a 1h00 AM and a guy that is probably drunk pulls out a gun at him (&quot; i wonder were the other guest's on the floor affraid of the guy ?&quot;), he should thing twice befor shooting, He should have had trainning for that to !!!!!

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
You people don't seem to understand. The cop could be dead before he has the time to think twice.

Since we now know that this really was a gun as far as the cop knew, he had no choice.

MetalTaz

Oct 24, 2000
BoberFett, how many times did you read about a cop that got shot in a halloween party ?
ok now how many times di you read about an innocent guy that got killed by a cop ?
A cop is trained to evaluate the situation, not to shout and ask question later !
if the cop look in for the windows why didn't see the guy wan't a threat !!!
nobody in the party seemed to care if the guy had a gun or not, and by the way

It was a halloween party

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Uh, dipsh!t, a lot of cops are killed, probably far more than innocents being killed by cops.

Why does the fact that it's a halloween party make it OK to point something that looks like a gun at a cop? Damn, he shouldn't be pointing it at anybody.