Aw great, another story about how cops are gun happy

Czar

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/entertainment/newsid_998000/998415.stm

Police kill actor at party

An American actor has been shot by a police officer at a Hollywood Hallowe'en party after he pointed a fake gun at him.

Anthony Dwain Lee was shot several times by Officer Tarriel Hooper, who had been called, along with a second officer, to the Beverly Hills mansion after neighbours complained of noise.

Lee, 39, appeared in the 1997 movie Liar Liar, starring Jim Carrey and on several television programmes, including NYPD Blue and ER.

The shooting took place in the early hours of Saturday morning at a crowded party of costumed guests, many of them actors and other entertainment industry professionals, according to the Los Angeles Times newspaper.

The Los Angeles police department said that when Lee saw the officers he pulled what looked like a handgun and pointed it at Officer Hooper.

The officer, fearing for his life, fired several shots from his service pistol, wounding Lee, who died later of his injuries.

Officer Charlotte Broughton, a spokeswoman for the LAPD, said many of the party-goers were in costume.

I´m not even going to comment on this

Vikaden

Golden Member
Apr 10, 2000
next time dont point a fsckin gun at a police officer, fake or not, its a gauranteed way to get your ass shot.

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
They don't say what the object is, if it looked like a gun there's no reason for the officers but to believe it's anything other than a lethal weapon. Deadly force might have been necessary in their opinion.

bigvince

Banned
Aug 25, 2000
well if it was a gun...

what kind of an idiot points a gun (real or not) or gun like object at a cop! that is just plain old stupid...:disgust:

DAM

Diamond Member
Jan 10, 2000
vikaden: read the story buddy, its a halloween party, ppl are in custome according to the news a couple of ppl were dressed as cops too, i read somewhere else that he was the cop was not in uniform. second, what the hell was the cop doing snooping around windows, theres a front door, use it!!!

talk about the wrong cop at the right party.

dam(fake it)

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
As sad & unfortunate as it is, it's not a result of being "gun happy." Pointing a gun, or something that resembles a gun, at a cop is an excellent way to get shot.

Viper GTS

Czar

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
OK read the story.

One guest told the Times that some of the guests were dressed as police officers.
So he could not be sure if that was a cop or not, most likely not a cop.

Party-goer, Robert Hull, told the Times: "It was a shock that an officer would shoot at such a party.

"This was an exclusive party with security. Some of these people are making six figures, and this officer saw a toy gun at a Hallowe'en costume party and opened fire."

"It's devastating... Why did they shoot someone at a Hallowe'en party?"

LAPD spokeswoman Charlotte Broughton said: "He [Hooper] had no way of knowing it was fake even though people were in costume.

Just a comment, nothing else.

And now the big part

The police department and District Attorney's office are both investigating the shooting.

The shooting adds to the growing problems for the LAPD, which has been rocked with scandal in recent months with allegations of brutality and corruption.

Seventy officers are currently under investigation and 100 convictions have been overturned.

Other officers have been charged with filing false police reports, planting evidence and perjury.

Vikaden

Golden Member
Apr 10, 2000
OK DAM let me put it this way, if I was the cop and saw pull something resembling a gun, I would have shot him without any hesitation or reservation. Is that clear enough?

whateverdude

Oct 6, 2000
first off, the cop shouldnt have been peeping in the window. he shouldve gone to the door like he was supposed to and none of this would've happened...

second, was the guy wearing a costume? if so, then the cop shouldve seen that.

just another trigger happy cop IMO. he saw a black guy pull a gun and freaked out. instead of shooting right away, he couldve ducked out of the way. its not like he was out in the open.

yakko

Lifer
Apr 18, 2000
It is a shame he got shot but that is what happens when you pull a gun real or not on a cop.

Czar

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Strange though how the cops in america kill people, they allways shoot like the soldiers in starship troopers, shoot till it stops moving. Thats excesive.

cxim

Golden Member
Dec 18, 1999
Czar,

Ok so you don't like guns & cops... stay In Iceland.. you are starting to act like Dabuttheadbanshee.

DAM

Diamond Member
Jan 10, 2000
Vikaden: will you shoot that person before or after you identify yourself as a cop? or you would just shoot without letting anyone know who you are?

dam()

Vikaden

Golden Member
Apr 10, 2000
That would be the one thing I would do different from the other cop, I would have went through the front door and announced my presence and who and what I was.

DAM

Diamond Member
Jan 10, 2000
funny that one little thing that you would have done different would have made the difference between life and death.

dam()

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
It's rather simple. If someone points a gun at you, you have no way of knowing whether it's real or fake, loaded or unloaded from a distance. He can pull the trigger and leave you dead before you can even get any words out of your mouth.

whateverdude

Oct 6, 2000
this shoot first ask questions later mentality of our police is out of control. did he even come close to thinking "its halloween time, it maybe a costume party"? no, he just saw blackman + gun and shot.

403Forbidden

Banned
May 4, 2000
That cop was just mad he didn't get invited to the party. So he goes
sneaking around peeking into windows. Sad.

If the investigation reveals that the cop disregarded circumstances (i.e. everyone the party was wearing costumes), then hopefully the DA charges the hell out of that cop and lets bubba at the state pen violate his behind hahahahah

DAM

Diamond Member
Jan 10, 2000
BobberFet: i really think you are missing the fact that the cop was snooping around through a window and never id himself. i understand that the cop could have paniced and didnt get a chance to say one word, however the cop should have been at the front door all along not sneaking around like a thieve.

dam()

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
whateverdude

Should the cop have waited until he had a gaping chest wound before firing?

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
This is a tragedy. From what I have read the cop was in his right to do what he did. He looked up saw a guy with a gun threw a window. Sure, its a halloween party, but there is no rule that people can't bring real guns to halloween parties, and what sort of idiot has a gun as part of his costume anyway. It was stupid to be waving the gun in the vicinity of a police officer - it did not mean the person deserved to die. That is the tragic part, but some people here are failing to realize that if somebody does have a gun out - as this cop thought the guy did - saying "put your hands up" doesn't work as well as it does in the movies. A split second can mean life or death and when a possible criminal has his gun out most cops won't have the chance to do anything but try and fire.

czar that is because cops - anywhere, and I'm sure iceland included - are trained to shoot until the target is dead. They aren't told to aim for the gun or shoot his knees out. If you are going to fire you kill, thats how it is done.

whateverdude what are you talking about cop should not have been peeping through the window? He was walking into the building and looked up...he wasn't "peeping". If that is peeping I peep at people as they drive by.

Lets be reasonable people. Unless that cop is a blatant racist and looking for any excuse to kill a black man, he probably felt genuine fear for his life or somebody else's and acted as he did. LA isn't the safest place (rich person's party or not). *just read cop was black so there goes racist part*

DAM

Diamond Member
Jan 10, 2000
whateverdude: i really dont think this is a racial issue, the cop who shot the actor was also black.

dam()

yakko

Lifer
Apr 18, 2000

<< no, he just saw blackman + gun and shot. >>

whateverdude,

So you would make this statement if the cop was white?

Czar

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
So if this is like this. Every cop, on duty or not, can shoot anyone wherever he is and under whatever situations he is in, just as long as he &quot;feels his life being in danger&quot;. So each cop has a licence to kill if he feels like it.

403Forbidden

Banned
May 4, 2000
According to the LAPD,

Black man + gun = dead man

White man + gun = law abiding citizen practicing his 2nd amendment right.