Avoiding a mental breakdown and dismissing myself from projects

manlymatt83

Lifer
Oct 14, 2005
I'll be the first to admit something: I'm overwhelmed.

I've got so much going on, I've never been so stressed in my entire life. In all honestly, my body is actually showing signs of stress that I never knew could happen.

It all started when my friends invited me to join their facebook application development - I said yes, we made one, la la la, and it worked great! They went off to write another one, and sold it for $20,000 - so of course, I'm still inspired to keep going and building more and more applications.

Then, my friend starts his own company in South Jersey, and asks me to join in to do their website. They are a ticket broker. I design the site, and I get 10% of all sales they make on the website ... I haven't agreed to this yet, but I'm so far engulfed, I feel like I should.

Then I start my own business, which is my #1 priority. At this point, it's my baby.

Plus my full time job.

Plus all the other tiny things...

Plus...

You get the idea.

Honestly, I am so ready to just pull out of the facebook application development, even though I've seen some of these guys make real money, because there's no guarantee. And pull out of the ticketmaster immitators, and pull out of the other projects, and just focus on my girlfriend, my full time job, my personal company (which is my baby, even if it doesn't make a lot of money yet), and destressing myself.

What have other people done in this situation? The way I see it, it's not the amount of projects I'm doing that's stressful, it's the amount of individual entities I'm working with - and the overlap of projects. I almost just want to stop it all except for the few things listed above. (my personal company and my full time job).

Comments? Serious, please.

mooglemania85

Diamond Member
May 3, 2007
Originally posted by: mjuszczak
What have other people done in this situation?

Comments? Serious, please.

Stop posting/wasting time on internet forums. STOP you're bitching and think about something like, I don't know, this

Oh, and MYSPACE IS --------------------------------------------------------------------->

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
Pics of your gf will assist me, a complete stranger, in telling you how to conduct your personal and professional life.

oiprocs

Diamond Member
Jun 20, 2001
As far as I can see, you're working TWO full time jobs. A girlfriend counts as a full time job for me, hence why I think you're killing yourself.

You're right about the de-stressing; those guys appreciate your input and obviously you must be doing good work, but at the same time you gotta remember that if you don't look out for yourself, no one else will, including any SO's.

Here's another thing I don't get: your company, your baby, isn't up to full speed, yet you're not investing as much time as you can into it, even though you make it sound like it's part of a top 3 priority list. How can you expect it to get off the ground and start making some serious cash if you're putting time into these side projects that will net your friends more return than it will you?

Girlfriend, full time job, and company. Drop everything else. Just be straight up honest, that way they won't think you're shady or anything. Say you've got way too much on your plate, you feel like sh!t, you've gotta take care of your personal life before you end up losing your mind and/or your life. Not to say that you aren't unique, but I'm sure if they look hard enough they can find someone to pick up where you left off.

Seriously man. Stress is terrible. Life is wayyyyy to short to not be happy at least most of the time. Take those 3 things, concentrate on them fully and nothing else, and learn to take it easy. If you don't change things now, you're just going to keep digging that hole of yours.

pstylesss

Platinum Member
Mar 21, 2007
In 10 years, where do you see yourself? Still working on this facebook group or running a successful business with a girlfriend and a job?

My advice would be drop this other crap and keep your business, your girlfriend, and your full time job. Remember to schedule your own time.

manlymatt83

Lifer
Oct 14, 2005
Originally posted by: Oiprocs
As far as I can see, you're working TWO full time jobs. A girlfriend counts as a full time job for me, hence why I think you're killing yourself.

You're right about the de-stressing; those guys appreciate your input and obviously you must be doing good work, but at the same time you gotta remember that if you don't look out for yourself, no one else will, including any SO's.

Here's another thing I don't get: your company, your baby, isn't up to full speed, yet you're not investing as much time as you can into it, even though you make it sound like it's part of a top 3 priority list. How can you expect it to get off the ground and start making some serious cash if you're putting time into these side projects that will net your friends more return than it will you?

Girlfriend, full time job, and company. Drop everything else. Just be straight up honest, that way they won't think you're shady or anything. Say you've got way too much on your plate, you feel like sh!t, you've gotta take care of your personal life before you end up losing your mind and/or your life. Not to say that you aren't unique, but I'm sure if they look hard enough they can find someone to pick up where you left off.

Seriously man. Stress is terrible. Life is wayyyyy to short to not be happy at least most of the time. Take those 3 things, concentrate on them fully and nothing else, and learn to take it easy. If you don't change things now, you're just going to keep digging that hole of yours.

The best piece of advice anyone could have given me. Thank you.

Tiamat

Lifer
Nov 25, 2003
Originally posted by: mjuszczak
Originally posted by: Oiprocs

The best piece of advice anyone could have given me. Thank you.

Yup, drop all those tiny side projects, they are just weighing you down. Your company, your full time salaried job, and your SO are enough for you and are the three main things that will deliver something for long term.

TruePaige

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2006
Deep calming breathes, hombre. =)

Oh and I wouldn't of gave you that call either if I had seen this thread first. >.>

Sorry!

I can sympathize..

-Full Time Job
-Part Time Job
-LMS Application Development

=)

Xavier434

Lifer
Oct 14, 2002
Too much work and no play. Cut out some of that stuff and remember that your life is temporary and it is actually worth living it under less stress.

Cdubneeddeal

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2003
I feel your pain OP. My job is very demanding and I find myself putting my family, friends, and my health last before my job and I get nothing in huge return from my employer. It's almost come to the point where I can't focus on sex anymore because my mind is going 100mph due to the stress. I know, TMI, but stress can do havoc on personal lives.

Like what was stated above, the family, business, full time job, all in that order IMO.

IceBergSLiM

Lifer
Jul 11, 2000
If anything drop the girlfriend.(she is a fulltime job you aren't getting paid for) She isn't making you money. Get that money man.

Xavier434

Lifer
Oct 14, 2002
Originally posted by: IcebergSlim
If anything drop the girlfriend.(she is a fulltime job you aren't getting paid for) She isn't making you money. Get that money man.

You value money way too much.

IceBergSLiM

Lifer
Jul 11, 2000
Originally posted by: Xavier434

Only someone without money would say that.

Xavier434

Lifer
Oct 14, 2002

I have more than enough to make me very happy. I always have.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001

Or someone with a lot of it.

thepd7

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2005
I would say drop the full time job to be honest with you, that is if you can make any resemblence of a living from the other stuff. I think you would be a lot happier.

olds

Elite Member
Mar 3, 2000
If you look up Emo in the dictionary, will you find a pic of mjuszczak?

Jun 19, 2004
Originally posted by: alkemyst

Or someone with a lot of it.

Yes, because Warren Buffet, Bill Gates, and Donald trump SURELY don't value their money.....:roll:

I suppose this is the part where you tell us you don't value money that much because you have boat loads of it right???

Jun 19, 2004
Originally posted by: oldsmoboat
If you look up Emo in the dictionary, will you find a pic of mjuszczak?

Better yet if mjuszczak went emo and slit his wrists in a forrest, would anyone care?