Avira Version 10 Update

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ockky

Jul 29, 2004
Does anyone else get popups from Avira advertising their own products during startup? I only use Avira on my Netbook so I don't really care that much but I can see it becoming annoying.

The popup only occurs when Avira is updating it's virus database. So, if you haven't turned your rig on in a couple of days, yah, it'll happen first thing when you bootup. Otherwise, it'll happen at it's scheduled time. All of this is configurable if i remember correctly.

Also, i used to disable the popup, but quite when i updated to Version 9. I would say on an annoyance scale of 1-100, 100 being 'going off of my mind annoyance', i give the popup a 3/100.

Nizology

Oct 13, 2004
Does anyone recommend installing the Antivir Rootkit Detection component? It's unchecked in the installation by default. Just wondering.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Is there a reason to use this instead of MSE?

I prefer Avira. I had a couple small issues with MSE, and you can't disable MSE from the tray(or at all?). Avira's virus detections are a bit better, but MSE scans for some nuisance type malware too. It comes down to which feature set, configuration you prefer; The performance is fairly close between them.

JechtShot

Feb 18, 2007
I did an update (no uninstall) on 4 different computers and don't get the notification popping up on any of them.

Might of just been me then. I went to the modify route during installation and selected Upgrade. The stupid popup was still there even after reboots and everything. For some reason I prefer Avira on my Windows XP SP3 and MSE on Windows 7 (dual booting). Just personal preference though :D.