Avigdor Lieberman's settlement bars Russian-Israeli families from buying homes

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
Fern, how can you say, "I don't see where Avigdor Lieberman has any connection to this, other than merely happening to live there."

Earth to Fern, A. Lieberman is the Israeli foreign minister, and as such represents the present Israeli government. A. Lieberman also controls a number of settler parties who have quite a number of seats in the Israeli Parliament, and if A. Lieberman with draws his support from Netanyuhu, the Netanyuhu government will fall.

In short, Fern, you are either being deliberately dishonest or ignorant in trying to imply A. Lieberman is just some garden variety Israeli citizen with no political power.
And because a Parliamentary democracy form of Government is very different from our US system of democratic governance, Lieberman has the political power to bring down the entire Israeli government at his mere whim. Which makes Lieberman a very dangerous rascal and not a garden variety nut.

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
Fern, how can you say, "I don't see where Avigdor Lieberman has any connection to this, other than merely happening to live there."

Earth to Fern, A. Lieberman is the Israeli foreign minister, and as such represents the present Israeli government. A. Lieberman also controls a number of settler parties who have quite a number of seats in the Israeli Parliament, and if A. Lieberman with draws his support from Netanyuhu, the Netanyuhu government will fall.

-snip-

Cool, so you know he is.

But WTH does this HOA vote have to do with him, beyond the mere fact he lives there?

Is he an officer of the HOA?

Did he vote for it?

Jeebus, this article doesn't have a quote from him about it.

Was he even freaking aware of this this vote? Or was he kinda busy with all the responsibilites you mention him having?

I see no connection, and nothing in your post addresses that simple fact.

Fern

kylebisme

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2000
I don't see where Avigdor Lieberman has any connection to this, other than merely happening to live there.

This is about some mere HOA?
It's more like a city council thing, though the "city" is a West Bank settlement, notable for the fact that it's where the Israeli Foreign Minister, Avigdor Lieberman, lives. Also, one can find plenty of inflammatory comments from Avigdor Lieberman himself, if you care to look.

Finally, I would say that 'Yes" this is an example of "democracy". In fact a perfect example of democracy and why our Founding fathers didn't want that form of government and instead chose our more deliberative form.
Our founders established a democratic republic with a constitution to protect individual rights from mob rule, and which referred to simply as "a democracy" in modern terms, and which Israel is nothing of the sort. Rather, Israel is an ethnocracy which disingenuously claims to be a democracy.

Last edited:

woolfe9999

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2005
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

First, Loki, you have to find that apartment complex in the Bronx, and then you would also see American law coming into play stopping those evictions.

But still, Loki, you have a poor analogy, if we allowed such mass evictions in the US, the fault and international blame would attach to the USA, when we have mass evictions going on in Israel and Israeli law allows it, the international blame and condemnation quite properly attaches to Israel.

Who said Israeli law allows this? What do you know or claim to know about Israeli law in regards to housing discrimination based on ethnicity and/or religion?

- wolf

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
Who said Israeli law allows this? What do you know or claim to know about Israeli law in regards to housing discrimination based on ethnicity and/or religion?
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What an incredibly inane comment woolfe, anyone who is even semi informed about Israel laws and policies understands that Israel is nothing but an apartheid State. And Israel holds within their borders, some 30% of their entire population as totally third class citizens in the very land of their birth.

Go ahead woolfe, try to compare that Israeli policy to what the USA did to the American Indians and our Afro American slave populations. Where that analogy fails is at the establishment of the UN in 1946, and the very UN doctrine that created the State of Israel in 1948 says gaining land by right of conquest is totally invalid.

Post 1948, the USA and the rest of the world are certainly not perfect, but we are all working on being better. As for Israel, they are totally depraved and getting worse by the day.

kylebisme

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2000
Philip Weiss sums up the situation well:

So let me see if I have this right:

Palestinians can't move back to their homes in Israel.

Palestinians can't drive on Israeli (Jewish) roads in the Occupied Territories.

Palestinians without the right cards can't go into East Jerusalem.

Gazans are not being allowed to live in the West Bank.

Non-Jewish Israelis can't move to certain parts of the West Bank.

I can move to Israel or East Jerusalem or the West Bank tomorrow, no problemo.

Wake up, liberal Americans.
It's understandable that raving bigots defend Israeli policy, as they would surely like to engage in the same discrimination here in the US. However, the fact that many Americans who consider themselves liberals defend Israeli bigotry makes no sense at all. I'm not even a liberal myself, but Israel's ethnographic policies goes against my libertarian values too, and for self-proclaimed liberals to suggest supporting Israel is consistent with their alleged values is flagrant hypocrisy.

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Most home owner associations are run by Nazi's that think they can rule over other people. It is all based on keeping out the riff raff. Cant fly a flag, cant cut down a tree, all the houses must look alike, no freedom found here.

kylebisme

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2000
Again, its not a HOA of any sort, but rather the settlement equivalent to city council. Anyway, for another resent example of the anti-democratic nature of Israel, yet another Jewish woman was recently arrested for practising Judaism in a way which Israel deems only legal for men.

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
What a strange thread this has been. Maybe its time to grant the Fern and Piasabird point, just because A. Lieberman is a first class bigot by any stretch of the imagination, its still 404 link not found, Lieberman may have no role in the original the topic instance.

But the latest Kylebisme link about Jewish segregation of the sexes in worship is just another joker in the deck. Because without revealing my religious practices or the lack of them, what right do I or anyone else have to tell Jews how to practice their own religion? Jews have basically clung to the same religious practices for 4000 years or more, even though they now and always have had certain internecine arguments on which Jews are holier than others. And as someone who grew up in a partly Jewish environment, us children just had no time to waste on religious bigotry bullshit. Catholic had their baggage, Jews had their baggage, all religions had their quaint and curious customs. But in terms of Jewish religious discrimination against females, its counterbalanced by the fact that Jewish decent is strictly on the female side. If your Mother is a gentile, you basically are not a Jew.