AVG not updating

Codyz28

Sep 11, 2003
I have AVG 6.0 free edition. I downloaded a rather large update for it yesterday, and ever since, I get an error when I click update. The error says I dont have an internet connection even though I am connected. Sometimes the error comes up and sometimes it doesnt. Was wondering if anyone else gets this error?

"An automatic connection to the internet could not be established. Please manualy establish a connection to download your Update files (this can be done by launching your internet browser)."

erikistired

Diamond Member
Sep 27, 2000
avg free 7.0 seems to be out of beta, might try updating. i know they were going to discontinue support for 6.0 once 7.0 was released.

erikistired

Diamond Member
Sep 27, 2000
yup, notice the file name is avg70free_ which would indicate to me it's the new 7.0 version, also the beta page for 7.0 is gone. it should be fine for xp sp2 if 6.0 was, and it's been beta testing for a bit now, so it should be good to go. i haven't tried it yet (i'm on my wife's laptop feeding the youngin) but as soon as i get a moment i'll load it on my machine.

Codyz28

Sep 11, 2003
I downloaded it. I think it fixed my problem :) Looks like AVG has a support forum now. Unless they have always had it and I never knew about it.

1Cheap2Crazy

Golden Member
Jun 15, 2002
I'm going to do a clean install of this new version. Does anyone know if I need a Serial Number to plug in?

1Cheap2Crazy

Golden Member
Jun 15, 2002
Originally posted by: 1Cheap2Crazy
I'm going to do a clean install of this new version. Does anyone know if I need a Serial Number to plug in?

You don't need the serial number. It must be stored in the registry.