AVG Internet Security any good?

thegisguy

Jan 15, 2008
I've been running a copy of Norton Corporate ED 11, I got while going to college. It's getting pretty long in the tooth. I also run Kerio firewall and a couple of anti-spyware programs like Spybot search and destroy.

To simplify things an all in one suite would be nice. My question, is AVG and good. Or am I better off with Norton 360 v2, or Kaspersky® Internet Security 2009?

Thanks in advance.

bsobel

Moderator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Dec 9, 2001
Originally posted by: thegisguy
I've been running a copy of Norton Corporate ED 11, I got while going to college. It's getting pretty long in the tooth. I also run Kerio firewall and a couple of anti-spyware programs like Spybot search and destroy.

To simplify things an all in one suite would be nice. My question, is AVG and good. Or am I better off with Norton 360 v2, or Kaspersky® Internet Security 2009?

Thanks in advance.

NIS 2009 unless you want the rest of the N360 features

thegisguy

Jan 15, 2008
I looked at NIS 2009, and figured for the $20 difference in cost it would be worth the money for the file backup. So I take it you think Norton > AVG or Kaspersky?

bsobel

Moderator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Dec 9, 2001
Originally posted by: thegisguy
I looked at NIS 2009, and figured for the $20 difference in cost it would be worth the money for the file backup. So I take it you think Norton > AVG or Kaspersky?

Yes, but I do work for Symantec (so factor that in). Honestly the 2009 releases are the best releases from us probably ever, I have no issues strongly recommending them (I didnt recommend other versions to put it in perspective)

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
I've heard much good about this release of Norton. Honestly, I'd choose almost anything over AVG. They didn't particularly impress me a couple of years ago, and they've only gotten worse. Personally I use Antivir free edition, and if I had to buy A/V it would most likely be Antivir Premium. I still have a bad taste in my mouth from past Symantec products, but for the right price I'd give them another chance due to all the positive comments I've heard.

thegisguy

Jan 15, 2008
Two quick questions. First is with a 1 year license to Norton 360, what exactly stops after 1 year? Can I keep getting virus updates after 1 year? or does the firwall and everything so working? and what's the differance between the upgrade and regular versions? other then price...