Average MLB player out earns star NFL player in their lifetimes

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...nfl-star-but-mlb-gave-him-120m-minus-the-pain

Jeff Samardzija and Calvin Johnson were both college football receivers.
Johnson was ranked #1, samardzija was #2 in 2006, both their senior year.

Johnson was picked 2nd overall in the 2007 NFL draft.
samardzija was persuaded by the Cubs to be a pitcher for $10M, which was better than NFL bottom half (#16-32) 1st round draft $ at that time.

Johnson went to his first of six NFL Pro Bowls in 2010.
samardzija is 59-76 with a 4.08 ERA so far. (Could this be considered below avg in MLB??)

Johnson retired in 2016 due to injuries, earning $100M in his career.
samardzija will clear $123M at the end of his current contract, which ends in 2020.

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
If I worked for the NFL I would be seriously worried. I don't see how they survive without massive changes to the game.

The price the players pay is becoming too obvious for even the general public to ignore.

Viper GTS

kt

Diamond Member
Apr 1, 2000
What's the problem?

Multi-millionaires worried about how they are going to maintain their lifestyle after retiring @ 30 year old. Please, someone start a GoFundMe page for these poor guys.

SearchMaster

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2002
Yeah but those 16 games (and practices) are MUCH more grueling than the 162 baseball games.

It is unfortunate that NFL players are so disposable but that's the nature of the beast. The one thing that the NFL has in its favor versus MLB is that you kinda know where you stand. You're either in the league making good money, or you're getting nothing. MLB has that weird in-between stage of minor league baseball where you make almost nothing, sometimes for several years, before you have a chance at making any significant income.

cbrunny

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 2007
It isn't a secret though. Football players know the risks. Its not like there are actual humans alive that think that cracking your heads and bodies together for a living is going to lead to good things. These guys are making their own decisions to play in the league for the amounts of money they receive.

Simply put, there's no story here.

Reactions: FeuerFrei

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
There is a substantial case to be made that until very recently the NFL was going out of their way to hide what they knew about CTE from the public. Yes intelligent people are going to look at it and say 'this can't be good for you' but most people never realized just how bad it really is, even at a non-pro level. And the NFL had an active hand in keeping it that way.

Viper GTS

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
NFL - 16 games
MLB - 162 games

162 games of mostly standing around scratching your butt and chewing tobacco.

Plus the OP mentioned a pitcher, and pitchers don't play every game. Not that there isn't still a big difference in game numbers, the intensity of those games vary considerably. The physical toll of baseball is not the same as football

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
Plus the OP mentioned a pitcher, and pitchers don't play every game.
yeah. pitchers only play once every 5 games, I think.
162/5= 32.

so he has to play twice as many games as a football player.
but w/o the toll to the body.

heck, even if you play all 162 games for all other positions, there's probably less toll than 16games of a football player.
well, maybe except catcher.

also, samardzija was sent down to the minor leagues a few times early in his career yet still making the $10M because his contract was guaranteed $. :eek:

Jimzz

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2012
For me its not the money but I bet Jeff Samardzija will not have memory issues, be able to walk, and talk just fine at 60+ years of age. I wonder if Calvin Johnson will be as lucky.

Hell 10million plus good health > 100million and like many former NFL players.

WaTaGuMp

Lifer
May 10, 2001
Do the baseball players end up with 25 kids and baby mama's to pay for after their careers are over like so many NFL players?

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
OP is wrong - Calvin Johnson did not retire "because of injuries". He retired because he knows if he continued to play his body was going to have a risk of potential permanent damage done and he didn't want to be old and crippled.

Joe Theismann retired because of injuries. His leg got broken in half and he could never play again.

There's a difference.

Majes

Golden Member
Apr 8, 2008
I've played a good bit of both sports. I could play baseball every single day with absolutely zero issues. Now, if I pitched, generally I would need 3-4 days for my arm to recover. I also never played catcher which basically wrecks your knees.
But football? 3-4 days recovery minimum from a good football game. That's without any specific injuries, just generally muscle soreness.

This article gives some reasoning on why MLB players make more than other sports...
http://ftw.usatoday.com/2014/11/giancarlo-stanton-contract-mlb-money-nba-nfl

Reactions: NoTine42

spacejamz

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003
does roster size make a difference in the average? how do NBA and NHL players stack up?

cbrunny

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 2007
Revenue between sports matters more than number of games. If the MLB earns more money than the NFL, well, that should say all anyone needs.