"Average GPU Pricing Quadruples in a Year as Market Hits $12.1 Billion" - Tom's Hardware

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Now it will take some time for the price the producers are willing to accept to decrease as more rational/traditional buyers say "I'm not spending that much on a video card". I'm very much one of those consumers........I can wait as long as it takes.
And as far as mining to pay for your GPU (casual gamer and part-time miner), with EIP-1559 coming up in early Aug, and "The Merge" scheduled for a year or two out, the ROI on a scalper-priced card looks really bleak.

So I applaud those like you, "holding out" for MSRP-priced GPUs. Or at least significantly cheaper.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
I'm very much one of those consumers........I can wait as long as it takes.

You see thats the issue here...

We have no end in sight from the looks of it.
The LHR cards aren't really going to help.
Its like game makers and DRM.
Its only going to filter out the little guys who probably only mine to recoop the cost of that single GPU, and not the multi gazalion gpu hash farmers.
I really didn't have anything against small scale miners.
Its not a bad idea to buy a 3070 and mine on it when your not playing games, and recoop partial if not all cost on the card, then have to step down to a 3060.

The second is how Etherium goes, in the new update.
If all these cards move over to a new token, and by some chance that token gets inflated (ravencoin) then were going for round 2 and possibly even 3, and the entire 3000 series from nvidia will be something more of a vaporware as im sure availablity will be scare of them to last 4000 series, and possibly even up to 5000.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
The second is how Etherium goes, in the new update.
If all these cards move over to a new token, and by some chance that token gets inflated (ravencoin) then were going for round 2 and possibly even 3, and the entire 3000 series from nvidia will be something more of a vaporware as im sure availablity will be scare of them to last 4000 series, and possibly even up to 5000.
Well, I'll tell you, at least on YT, the miners seem to hope and are "betting" on that, that mining will continue and flourish, in the next few years, even if there is a bearish period -> best time for miners to buy up EVEN MORE GPUs, to prepare for eventual run up again, mining rush / shortage 3.0.

Me, I'm basically at capacity for power / heat / space in my tiny apt.

Reactions: Leeea

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
And as far as mining to pay for your GPU (casual gamer and part-time miner), with EIP-1559 coming up in early Aug, and "The Merge" scheduled for a year or two out, the ROI on a scalper-priced card looks really bleak.

So I applaud those like you, "holding out" for MSRP-priced GPUs. Or at least significantly cheaper.
It's not just GPUs for me.

My initial plans before the whole Covid thing hit was to upgrade my Ryzen 2700X to a heavily discounted Ryzen 3000 series once the 5000 series hit. But inventory disappeared and prices actually increased to higher levels than they were selling for (I remember the 3700X had hit $250 at point).

So I'm still sitting here with the 2700X, just biding my time until I see something that says "I've got to buy it at that price". :p

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
"I've got to buy it at that price"

Im screaming at how cheap it is... its refurb tho, and its by woot, so its like lottery.
But woot is just amazon return / can not RTM and need to sell to make room stuff, so if something is wrong, you can return it fairly easily.

But again, refurb... OLED.... refurb... sigh.... no..... if it was only that price for a new.

And yes the CX is the 120hz 4k, with HDMI 2.1

Reactions: UsandThem
Feb 4, 2009

Im screaming at how cheap it is... its refurb tho, and its by woot, so its like lottery.
But woot is just amazon return / can not RTM and need to sell to make room stuff, so if something is wrong, you can return it fairly easily.

But again, refurb... OLED.... refurb... sigh.... no..... if it was only that price for a new.

And yes the CX is the 120hz 4k, with HDMI 2.1

I’d hold off on a TV purchase and it comes with the warning I am not an expert.
There is a new broadcasting standard coming soon-ish, I think it is ATC-3. Basically better resolution as in 8k will be possible however I doubt any broadcast TV will do that. Better sound because more info can be transmitted in the signal and overall better reception.
You will need a TV with the new receiver in it and I suspect the first few batches will suck.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
There is a new broadcasting standard coming soon-ish, I think it is ATC-3. Basically better resolution as in 8k will be possible however I doubt any broadcast TV will do that. Better sound because more info can be transmitted in the signal and overall better reception.
I would be happy with some Reed-Solomon Forward Error Correction in the data-stream, such that channels that don't come in "perfect" don't break up into a game of MPEG-tetris.

Think of PAR2 blocks used for Usenet binaries... the math is there to do this sort of thing.

Feb 4, 2009
I would be happy with some Reed-Solomon Forward Error Correction in the data-stream, such that channels that don't come in "perfect" don't break up into a game of MPEG-tetris.

Think of PAR2 blocks used for Usenet binaries... the math is there to do this sort of thing.

ATSC 3.0 uses Orthogonal Frequency Division Multiplex (OFDM) modulation as opposed to the 8VSB modulation used by ATSC 1.0. We won’t get too far into the weeds with that. We’ll just say that OFDM has the reputation of being more spectrally efficient and less susceptible to multi-path interference (which can cause ATSC 1.0 signals break up, or not be received at all).

Reactions: Leeea and Mopetar