Avengers: Endgame - April 2019. OFFICIAL CONFIRMED UPDATED! Tickets on sale!

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Sonikku

Lifer
Jun 23, 2005
I liked it a lot more than Infinity because the first hour wasn't big flashy special slug fests but more down to earth soap opera dealing with shared trauma and loss. I was stunned when it said 5 years later. I was also mildly shocked seeing Thanos die in the first five minutes of the movie, even though you knew he was coming back for the third act. Only thing I don't understand is how it is they can say they can't just kill baby thanos as time travel can't change the past but 2012 Thanos is able to leave his timeline and die in the future. Wouldn't that invalidate the future created by Infinity Thanos as he would cease to exist and by extension fail to cause the destruction that lead to time hopping in Endgame?

Reactions: Exterous

Sonikku

Lifer
Jun 23, 2005
I really like it ... thought it was a lot better then Infinity War.

Only regret is that I saw Captain Marvel right AFTER seeing it.
Me too. I saw it at the drive in that plays double features. I asked if they could do Marvel first and Endgame second but they said that Disney obligates them to play Endgame first. Lame.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
I liked it a lot more than Infinity because the first hour wasn't big flashy special slug fests but more down to earth soap opera dealing with shared trauma and loss. I was stunned when it said 5 years later. I was also mildly shocked seeing Thanos die in the first five minutes of the movie, even though you knew he was coming back for the third act. Only thing I don't understand is how it is they can say they can't just kill baby thanos as time travel can't change the past but 2012 Thanos is able to leave his timeline and die in the future. Wouldn't that invalidate the future created by Infinity Thanos as he would cease to exist and by extension fail to cause the destruction that lead to time hopping in Endgame?

Killing 2014 Thanos in 2023 spawned off a separate dimension where all post-2014 events that occurred due to Thanos did not happen. It has no effect on what happened prior to 2023 in the MCU's universe. The best way to sum up the rule that was established in the movie is... "you cannot change the past". Having any large effect on the past (such as removing an infinity stone) would create a separate dimension (alternate timeline). The Russos even stated that Steve Rogers living in the past with Peggy Carter meant that he lived in a separate timeline, and had to warp back at the end.

They also stated that returning the soul stone to Vormir does not return the soul of the one who sacrificed themselves to get it in the first place. The sacrificed soul remains in the soul stone.

Reactions: Sonikku

Skel

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2001

Movie gave up and threw out it's own rules. Don't try to figure it out.

Killing 2014 Thanos in 2023 spawned off a separate dimension where all post-2014 events that occurred due to Thanos did not happen. It has no effect on what happened prior to 2023 in the MCU's universe. The best way to sum up the rule that was established in the movie is... "you cannot change the past". Having any large effect on the past (such as removing an infinity stone) would create a separate dimension (alternate timeline). The Russos even stated that Steve Rogers living in the past with Peggy Carter meant that he lived in a separate timeline, and had to warp back at the end.

They also stated that returning the soul stone to Vormir does not return the soul of the one who sacrificed themselves to get it in the first place. The sacrificed soul remains in the soul stone.

I get amused at the Russos trying to retroactively fix their movie. If this is what happened then why have the whole convo with the ancient one? The fact they bothered to set up the rules in the first place, on top of them pounding it in by making sure the heroes put everyone back 5 years later as not to disturb the timeline only highlights the fact they didn't do what they're now trying to claim. They gave up and just 'screw it, have them all fight in CGI glory'.

And if people still haven't seen the movie weeks later and come into this thread, then they get to see spoilers.

Sonikku

Lifer
Jun 23, 2005

I see. I must have missed the part about separate dimensions in the movie. I have another question now though; Did all the people snapped back age five years or are all those that remained now five years older than their family members that were returned?

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001

Haha, if someone had any issues, I'd just give 'em a quick rundown of the character: "Silent yet sassy. Hand beams. Goofy mohawk." :p

I see. I must have missed the part about separate dimensions in the movie. I have another question now though; Did all the people snapped back age five years or are all those that remained now five years older than their family members that were returned?

I assume that they're all the age they were when snapped. It is kind of odd because it means all the people in the upcoming Spider-Man movie were all snapped. It would be interesting if they addressed that and removed a character or two due to them having graduated during the five year period.

Skel

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2001

That's because they didn't talk about it happening. In fact they went the exact opposite direction and had a scene where Banner told the ancient one that they would fix it so the timelines/dimensions wouldn't happen. In fact the whole idea that they were bringing the snap victims back five years later was so they didn't split everything.

They also yadda yaddaed the whole how does it work with the victims coming back 5 years later. Maybe they'll go over it in Spider-Man, or other movies to follow, but I can't help but feel that them bringing everyone back 5 years later only would compound the issues. Imagine coming back to life one day and discovering your wife had moved on with someone else.. as it was 5 years for her.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
Best $7.75 I ever spent on a movie! Entertainment value3 was off the hook!
I also ejoyed seeing Scarlett witch for a brief moment going one on one with Thanos!
It appeared that Scarlett could have taken down Thanos by herself!
Any holes that there was in the plot didn`t bother me! I got my moneys worth and then some!!

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
That's because they didn't talk about it happening. In fact they went the exact opposite direction and had a scene where Banner told the ancient one that they would fix it so the timelines/dimensions wouldn't happen. In fact the whole idea that they were bringing the snap victims back five years later was so they didn't split everything.

They also yadda yaddaed the whole how does it work with the victims coming back 5 years later. Maybe they'll go over it in Spider-Man, or other movies to follow, but I can't help but feel that them bringing everyone back 5 years later only would compound the issues. Imagine coming back to life one day and discovering your wife had moved on with someone else.. as it was 5 years for her.
Somewhere in the movie and again I think it was Banner or Stark who stated it was 5 years into the past but in there deminsion it would be like 5 seconds!!

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004
I wonder how many of the newly returned 50% are going to die because food production and distribution shrank by 50% and even if a bunch of farm animals returned it’s going to take some time to get it all sorted out.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
I wonder how many of the newly returned 50% are going to die because food production and distribution shrank by 50% and even if a bunch of farm animals returned it’s going to take some time to get it all sorted out.
It`s just a movie get over it!!1 sheese……..not everything needs to be correct!

Skel

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2001
Somewhere in the movie and again I think it was Banner or Stark who stated it was 5 years into the past but in there deminsion it would be like 5 seconds!!

Aren't you talking about how time would pass? Might be 5 years, but to the people not time traveling it would be 5 seconds.

Sonikku

Lifer
Jun 23, 2005
Avengers: post Game

1qMprqE.jpg

Last edited:

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008

I wonder about all the people who disappeared part-way through hazardous tasks. Flying passenger jets, driving trucks, even just cooking. How many fires broke out due to things left on the stove? How many Amazon Prime orders failed to arrive due to the delivery driver disappearing?

And what a legal mess there would be - would life insurance pay out for a magical vanishing? Would they demand it back again when you reappear? Having lost 5 years, would your pension kick in at your chronological age or your personal age?

And all those who came back to find their loved ones moved on, remarried, or dead from grief...and all their stuff sold off in car boot sales...And with 5 years of overdue library-book fines, gym membership fees, and of course those Amazon prime subscriptions...I doubt many companies are going to waive the 5 years of back-charges just because you were magically vanished by a lunatic god. Oh no, they'll be hounding you with payment demands from the moment you drop back into the space-time continuum.

The end of the movie didn't address the real issues, I think. The amount of paperwork to sort out after the returns would be overwhelming.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
I wonder about all the people who disappeared part-way through hazardous tasks?

I'm sure this issue was at or near the top of Ant-Mans list!

Funny I saw Ant-Man & Wasp right before Endgame and it wasn't until the post credit scene in that movie that Thanos's "snap" really hit home and I became emotionally involved.

blankslate

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2008
I also ejoyed seeing Scarlett witch for a brief moment going one on one with Thanos!
It appeared that Scarlett could have taken down Thanos by herself!

In the comics she is one of the most powerful mutants in existence and actually one of the most powerful superheroes.

And I like that it was hinted at by Scarlet Witch actually scaring Thanos in a way that most MCU characters didn't.

Sonikku

Lifer
Jun 23, 2005
In the comics she is one of the most powerful mutants in existence and actually one of the most powerful superheroes.

And I like that it was hinted at by Scarlet Witch actually scaring Thanos in a way that most MCU characters didn't.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008

Actually, that relates to one of the negative things about superhero stuff (which I find, with the movies, I can overlook and not let bother me, simply because they are so entertaining as a spectacles). Namely that there doesn't seem to be much consistency or logic to it all. Characters seem to vary in their relative power and performance against each other depending on the needs of the plot.

One reason why I've always found Superman to be such an extremely dull character is that he's so generically overpowered. Marvel characters, to this neophyte who never really read the comics, seem to be a little more interesting precisely because of being limited and specific in their powers. Hence I dunno about this 'Captain Marvel' character! Sounds worrying like Marvel's answer to superman.

Marvel are also funnier than DC, I have concluded. I still smile at that "I know this guy, he's a friend from work" line in Thor Ragnarok.

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006

I had the exact same thought while watching the movie - but not to the extent pmv took it

JujuFish

Lifer
Feb 3, 2005
That's because they didn't talk about it happening. In fact they went the exact opposite direction and had a scene where Banner told the ancient one that they would fix it so the timelines/dimensions wouldn't happen.

No. The Ancient One wasn't going to give Banner the stone because she didn't want her reality changed for someone else's reality, so Banner explained that they would bring the stones back at the point they took them, to fix her reality.

Skel

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2001
No. The Ancient One wasn't going to give Banner the stone because she didn't want her reality changed for someone else's reality, so Banner explained that they would bring the stones back at the point they took them, to fix her reality.

I'd have to go watch it again, but they spent the entire setup of the 'time heist' repeatedly saying they needed to preserve the timeline. Not once did they say they were OK with splitting things as it would risk issues in their own timeline. I remember Banner saying that the AC's issue of it splintering off wasn't an issue because they were going to fix it all by putting it all back. Not going, we're going to splinter off, but don't worry we'll bring your stone back to your timeline. She just wasn't convinced that they could do it, and wasn't willing to risk the stone on them until she heard that Strange said it was their only hope. Hell, keeping the timeline intact and not splintering it off is the whole reason for bringing everyone back 5 years later... I have a really hard time with everyone trying to explain away the movie's giving up the last third of the movie. It's all fine to whoever if that's what they want to believe, but not once in the movie did they explain any of this. This is all tacked on afterwards in attempts to cover the fact the movie had plot holes big enough to have a parade in.