Avengers: Endgame - April 2019. OFFICIAL CONFIRMED UPDATED! Tickets on sale!

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

NoTine42

Golden Member
Sep 30, 2013
I honestly would have loved to see Steve return the soul stone to Vormir. Bit of an awkward reunion with Johann Schmidt.
it may have been amusing that Red skull was thinking he was finally free of his duty guiding others to the Soul Stone only to get it back.

nOOky

Platinum Member
Aug 17, 2004
After hearing so many people whine about Captain Marvel ruining the movie by defeating Thanos, it did not happen. Actually I was hoping that she would be the heroine of the movie, after all everyone else had failed. Think Superman in the Justice League movie, it would have worked for me. In the end she likely could have simply taken the gauntlet from him, but it wasn't the ending the fans wanted. To me it would have been more satisfying for her to take it, and hand it to someone else to use, making her the badass, yet letting someone else perform the snap. Ahead of the movie my theory was that she would be engaged in combat with him, reach over and take the Tessaract out of the gauntlet, and her power would increase so much that she could pound her fist through the ballsack of his chin and kill him. At the very least they should have shown a torrent of flerkin being released upon the battlefield, engaging Thanos' army. I also like the Thanos character, he's a badass's badass imho.

Last edited:

NoTine42

Golden Member
Sep 30, 2013
REALLY WHO GIVES A HOOT ABOUT THIS SH....
A lot:
https://www.cnbc.com/2019/04/28/ave...ecords-with-1point2-billion-global-debut.html

• In just five days, “Avengers: Endgame” hauled in more than $1.2 billion at the global box office.
  • In the U.S., the Marvel superhero flick took in a record-breaking estimated $350 million during its opening weekend, shattering expectations.
  • Internationally, “Endgame” has grossed an estimated $859 million, breaking the highest opening weekend haul of any film released internationally.

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004
So it’s made 1.2 Billion dollars in its opening weekend. :eek:

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=4507&p=.htm

Breaking the following records in the process.

I’d say it’s got a shot at a the Force Awakens for domestic box office all time and Avatar for global all time.

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004
Avengers-Endgame-Meme-006-without-spoilers-lebowski.jpg

Franz316

Sep 12, 2000
I enjoyed it but I feel like I enjoyed Infinity War more overall. I thought it was paced better, had more of a sense of urgency, and the new character team ups made for a better movie.

Majes

Golden Member
Apr 8, 2008
I’d say it’s got a shot at a the Force Awakens for domestic box office all time and Avatar for global all time.

I think it's going to struggle to find the legs to beat those... It's a very long movie, and it wasn't as good as I had hoped. We will see though. Most people I've talked to were thrilled with it. I just don't know how many return viewers they will get.

dainthomas

Lifer
Dec 7, 2004
I honestly would have loved to see Steve return the soul stone to Vormir. Bit of an awkward reunion with Johann Schmidt.

But neither of Steve's true loves (Peggy or Bucky) could have gone with him. Would've been cool to see how he reacted though.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
I think it's going to struggle to find the legs to beat those... It's a very long movie, and it wasn't as good as I had hoped. We will see though. Most people I've talked to were thrilled with it. I just don't know how many return viewers they will get.

I don't think it will have an issue. You'll get those who had trouble getting opening weekend tickets as well as those that don't like going when it's crowded as well as those that just want to see it again. The only thing I'd say is that it's not a movie that I personally think has a ton of rewatchability. That's just because I think of it as more of a spectacle movie than a story-based movie, and I find it a bit harder to watch those more than once. I tend to have this same problem with the Avengers movies, but I do think Infinity War was a bit different due to effectively being a Thanos story with spectacle based around that.

blankslate

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2008
I liked it quite a lot.

I'll probably watch it again because there were callbacks to the previous 20 movies and I am curious to see if I like it as much on a repeat viewing.

Given that overall it seemed to make about 1/3 more than Infinity War I'm guessing that maybe 50% of the audience will watch more than once.

Right now for me it is 9/10 the second viewing may change that of course.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
I really like it ... thought it was a lot better then Infinity War.

Only regret is that I saw Captain Marvel right AFTER seeing it.

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
Quick now show how cool you are by telling everyone how you haven’t watched Game of Thrones either.
I haven't but I read the books when they came out 20 years ago. Pretty damn good. I would like to binge watch when I don't have to pay for it.

Endgame was pretty good. Long but it needed to be to complete the story. Would have helped me a bit if I'd seen Infinity Wars. :rolleyes: My kid had to tell me who Capt Marvel was and fill in some of the other information.

Aside, I must be old when my 18 y.o. tells me to go to the bathroom before the movie starts. "Why?" It's 3 hours..... He'll be taking my car keys next.:(

Reactions: ctbaars

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
REALLY WHO GIVES A HOOT ABOUT THIS SH....

For my entire childhood and youth I had relatives who read Marvel (or DC) comics and I could never, ever get into them or for the life of me see what the appeal was. Crude, garishly-coloured drawings of unrealistic characters in stories that seemed repetitive, a bit reactionary, and didn't make any sense. Plus - way too American (I didn't mind 2000AD, I admit, but that had a few satirical reference points that seemed to mean something to me).

But in the last year or so I've ended up watching almost all the x-man and 'mcu' movies on dvd/streaming (all for next to nothing, heh, some of them for 50p from charity shops) and found I got into it to the extent of actually going to see endgame at the cinema.

I'm not saying it was high-art, but, dammit, they were pretty entertaining spectacles, and, most of all, they were often pretty funny.

The stories still don't really make much sense, though, more plot-holes than plot, but the characters were surprisingly engaging.

Also I think I'm a firm believer in quantity having a quality all of it's own. With both the x-man and avengers movies there was something about the sheer interlocking scale of it that gave it extra interest. Even the weaker ones made the good bits more interesting. (That might just be me though, same reason why I'm a sucker for cover-versions and remixes of music I like.)

In particular, with the x-man franchise, Logan (the best of them) wouldn't have worked as well without the preceding films, including the weaker ones.

PS Endgame would have been absolutely incomprehensible to me though if I hadn't recently binge-watched most of the earlier movies.

nOOky

Platinum Member
Aug 17, 2004
I really like it ... thought it was a lot better then Infinity War.

Only regret is that I saw Captain Marvel right AFTER seeing it.

I got rolled in another thread for saying I thought it Capt. marvel should be seen before Endgame. Anyway I saw Endgame again tonight, my wife actually wanted to see it again also so we went. I was surprised that it was still hard to find an open theater with a decent seat. It looked to me like this movie is singlehandedly saving the local movie theater, it is showing on 5 screens and the vending lines were hopping.

Reactions: Captante

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
I got rolled in another thread for saying I thought it Capt. marvel should be seen before Endgame

Not sure why .... having an emotional attachment to Capt Marvel would only have enhanced Endgame IMO.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Not sure why .... having an emotional attachment to Capt Marvel would only have enhanced Endgame IMO.

For the five minutes that she's in the movie? I actively stated that you didn't need to see Captain Marvel to see Endgame, and I still stand by that. Captain Marvel took place in the past and its story has no bearing on Infinity War or Endgame. You could read a quirk blurb on her powers and persona and be fine. Heck, Ant-Man and the Wasp largely has nothing to do with Infinity War or Endgame, but its post-credits scene has far more bearing on Endgame than the entire runtime of Captain Marvel.

Oh, and to be clear, I'm not saying you shouldn't go see Captain Marvel, but rather that I wouldn't put off seeing Endgame just because you haven't seen Captain Marvel yet. Although, you may have trouble getting good tickets for Endgame for a showing before 10 PM. :p