Avengers: Endgame - April 2019. OFFICIAL CONFIRMED UPDATED! Tickets on sale!

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Loved it. Sure, there are plot holes...no way there cannot be with such an epic.
I am sad. Feels like part of my childhood was brought back to life, then taken away again.

Why was Thor with his new power not able to at least fight Thanos with no stones on equal terms, if not beat him?
Yet Scarlet Witch is basically deconstructing Thanos and he has to call in a bombardment to stop it.
And how was everyone able to just touch the stones when they found them with no consequences? Just regular humans, handling the stones

I think the soul stone was the only stone that ever directly touched someone's hand. Most other stones were in devices (like the Tesseract) or they were handled in the Iron Man gauntlet. On that note, Eitrigg should feel bad that Tony easily crafted a gauntlet that could handle two snaps. :p

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
I'm seeing this tomorrow, Saturday, as I don't go to movies during the week since I sleep early for work but have mine pre ordered.

Also can we get a *spoiler* tag or something in the title of this. I'm sure not everyone will remember to use spoiler tags.

SKORPI0

Lifer
Jan 18, 2000
Just came back from the theater. Wow, amazing tie ups with the other MCU movies that had the stones in their story line. Lots of plots holes...
Too bad they couldn't bring back some of the dead who died before the snap. And two who had to sacrifice their lives to defeat Thanos once and for all after the snap.

Last edited:

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Just came back from the theater. Wow, amazing tie ups with the other MCU movies that had the stones in their story line. Lots of plots holes...
Too bad they couldn't bring back some of the dead who died before the snap. And two who had to sacrifice their live to defeat Thanos once and for all after the snap.

I was wondering if the phrase "a soul for a soul" will come into play. I mean... if someone has to die to get the soul stone, which really made it obvious what would happen when you saw Hawkeye and Black Widow going to Vormir, is the opposite true? Can someone get their life back if you give back the soul stone? But that would mean Black Widow should be back because Captain America was supposed to return all six Infinity Stones? But if someone already traded their life for the soul stone, does that mean Thanos doesn't have to kill Gamora?

Oh, and most importantly, if Thanos came from 2014 to 2023, and died, doesn't that mean that the events of Infinity War no longer happen? Or is that technically the tangent that has now been "erased" once Captain America put the stone back so Starlord could get it? HOW DOES THIS TOMFOOLERY WORK!? o_O

Skel

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2001
I was wondering if the phrase "a soul for a soul" will come into play. I mean... if someone has to die to get the soul stone, which really made it obvious what would happen when you saw Hawkeye and Black Widow going to Vormir, is the opposite true? Can someone get their life back if you give back the soul stone? But that would mean Black Widow should be back because Captain America was supposed to return all six Infinity Stones? But if someone already traded their life for the soul stone, does that mean Thanos doesn't have to kill Gamora?

Oh, and most importantly, if Thanos came from 2014 to 2023, and died, doesn't that mean that the events of Infinity War no longer happen? Or is that technically the tangent that has now been "erased" once Captain America put the stone back so Starlord could get it? HOW DOES THIS TOMFOOLERY WORK!? o_O

Trying to sort out what happened, even with them setting up the rules they set up is sadly pointless. The movie gave up and just went 'screw it'. There are so many plot holes and issues I'm not sure it's worth nitpicking. It's really sad they followed up IW, which was amazing, with this train wreak.

thor was basically the big lebowski

I'm coming to see that this is one of the main splits on this movie. The people that loved that and thought it was super funny, seem to really like the movie. The ones that don't, like myself, hated the movie. Which I guess isn't too suprising as they leaned in really heavy on this type of stupid shit.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Trying to sort out what happened, even with them setting up the rules they set up is sadly pointless. The movie gave up and just went 'screw it'. There are so many plot holes and issues I'm not sure it's worth nitpicking. It's really sad they followed up IW, which was amazing, with this train wreak.

I don't think it bothers me much due to this being the capstone of the last 20-some movies. In other words, even if things make us scratch our heads wondering how it works... it kind of doesn't matter as the continuity doesn't matter as much. Of course, we still have older characters that are getting more movies like Doctor Strange, Black Panther, and Guardians of the Galaxy. So, the actions of this movie do have an effect on those.

I'm coming to see that this is one of the main splits on this movie. The people that loved that and thought it was super funny, seem to really like the movie. The ones that don't, like myself, hated the movie. Which I guess isn't too suprising as they leaned in really heavy on this type of stupid shit.

Thor being fat and washed up doesn't bother me at all. It's really just an extreme result of his failure... or maybe the better word is "exaggerated". This may seem weird at first, but I'd argue that an important part of Endgame was to provide closure to all original Avenger characters (i.e. the main ones that didn't get dusted). For example, after Thor quite lost so much in his life (his family, his home, and most of his people) and failed to stop Thanos, he got a chance to talk to his mom and clear things up. :cry:

Thor wasn't the only character that received this treatment. Tony Stark went from being a person that only cared about himself in Iron Man to gradually becoming someone who learned to face his own fears and insecurities, and eventually become someone who truly thinks of others. (Although, I think Marvel screwed up a lot of this over the years by focusing solely on Stark's insecurities and ignoring the qualities that made him so endearing to fans.) Tony's arc finished by him... essentially having a family and saving his surrogate son, Peter Parker. :cry:

Black Widow got her own absolvement by sacrificing herself. One common thing mentioned in previous movies was her having "red in [her] ledger". Also, in her mind, Clint is the only reason that she's alive... especially given that he was sent to kill her and he chose to let her live instead. So, her sacrifice was a means to pay back Clint, help everyone else, and arguably, clear the ledger of her past misdeeds. :cry:

Captain America also got a chance to finally move on. Ever since he was frozen for years, he has never really been able to... well... as the movie says, live. One common thing pushed in his movies is that Captain America doesn't do much outside of work... and his bromance with Bucky. :p The closest Rogers ever got to having a life was with Sharon Carter, but that never really went anywhere in the movies. I guess you could say the phrase "his watch is over" sort of fit as we ended up seeing an older Rogers revealing that he finally got a chance to live the life he always wanted and missed out on before. He finally got that dance! :cry:

The only character that didn't get much was The Hulk, but I guess you could say the whole "Gray Hulk" thing was sort of his simplistic end. It was a basic way, which was literally told to the audience, of Banner to accept the Hulk and for the two to work together for once. Maybe Hulk didn't get much because outside of Thunderbolt Ross, Marvel mostly ignores The Incredibly Hulk as part of the MCU. It would've been kind of interesting if they would've brought Liv Tyler (Betty Ross) back for this movie.

Reactions: brianmanahan

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
easily the best of the avengers movies, with plenty of well-timed comedic moments (the writers have this down to a science at this point) as well as significant emotional pull throughout the film. the opening scene was incredibly strong. then there was a big lull. then shit hit the fan in an epic way :thumbsup:

Reactions: WelshBloke

Majes

Golden Member
Apr 8, 2008
Was somewhat disappointed. It was a good movie, but it didn't live up to Infinity War.

ondma

Platinum Member
Mar 18, 2018
Just saw it today. Way, way over-hyped, and too long. At best I would give it 8/10.

ondma

Platinum Member
Mar 18, 2018
Was somewhat disappointed. It was a good movie, but it didn't live up to Infinity War.
I hated Infinity war because of the ending, but I would agree, it was better made, more suspenseful, and more cohesive than Endgame.

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
The middle really really extremely drags. Loved the beginning and the ending was fairly good too. I never get choked up in movies but I genuinely almost did at this.

nOOky

Platinum Member
Aug 17, 2004
The wife enjoyed it, I was disappointed. I may see it again just to sort things out a bit better, the 3 hours actually goes fairly quickly.

brianmanahan

Lifer
Sep 2, 2006
outstanding movie. will go see it again.

i might go see it again just because i sat next to 3 college girls who giggled and shrieked the entire time

i missed a good portion of the dialog and wanted to go thanos on them by the end of the movie

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
plot holes galore.

why was tony and nebula on the ship in the beginning of the movie?
in infinity war, weren't they still on Titan when Thanos snapped then left?

and lastly, in Infinity war thanos beat hulk.
in endgame, how did
captain America
survive a punch from thanos???

Newbian

Lifer
Aug 24, 2008
i might go see it again just because i sat next to 3 college girls who giggled and shrieked the entire time

i missed a good portion of the dialog and wanted to go thanos on them by the end of the movie
How did they react when thor was shown after the time was passed? :p

Newbian

Lifer
Aug 24, 2008
plot holes galore.

why was tony and nebula on the ship?

in endgame, how did
captain America

Remember when thanos beat hulk he already had the power stone if I recall was the one he had then and this was not the case mostly.

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
Other than the weird time stuff, my biggest issue was Captain Marvel or rather her lack of actually being in the movie and hardly doing anything and her being hyped up as super powerful and would be important. Sure she demolished Thanos ship near the end which saved the day but that's all she basically did. I was very disappointed how she was utilized in the movie. You basically don't need to watch the Captain Marvel movie or care who she is and be fine with her in this movie since she's basically pointless.

Skel

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2001
plot holes galore.

why was tony and nebula on the ship in the beginning of the movie?

in endgame, how did
captain America

They were on Titan when Thanos did his snap. That doesn't mean they had to stay there. In the movie we're led to believe that the two got the ship running then it lost power due to it being really damaged in the battle.

The answer to the other question is "because movie". Even without the power stone Thanos is way out of CA's weight class.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
I honestly would have loved to see Steve return the soul stone to Vormir. Bit of an awkward reunion with Johann Schmidt.