Avalanche aquire Blake for Deadmarsh

NakaNaka

Diamond Member
Aug 29, 2000
The Avalanche got Rob Blake from the Kings for Deadmarsh and pick and some other stuff. I think it is official. The Av's won the cup. That's nice though, I wanted to Bourque win a cup.

jorken

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
Sakic will be a flyer... ohh yes... Sakic will be a flyer.

But on your statement the Av's were a monster of a team already with Sakic and Forsberg on center, now add a that sort of Defense with Roy and that could sum up this season. Yeah obviously they wanted a St. Louis killer and they probably got one now, although playoffs bring out a whole different team. Time will tell.

Taz4158

Banned
Oct 16, 2000
Definitely makes the Avs THE favourites for the cup. But watch Blake come home here to Toronto next season.

Optimus

Diamond Member
Aug 23, 2000
My Avs are now complete - in the words of the Emperor "Now watch the true power of this fully operational battle station!" :)

Taz4158

Banned
Oct 16, 2000
Blake is a rent a player but a HELLUVA rental. You guys look good if you can keep Roy out of jail. :D

Optimus

Diamond Member
Aug 23, 2000
Hey Taz - wann hear the funny part? I live near Toronto and I'm a big leafs fan... just an Avalanche fan first!

Also, the leafs don't really have a shot this year... :(

Taz4158

Banned
Oct 16, 2000
Traitor!!!!!!! :D. It's not looking good now that the Lindros deal appears over. Clark definitely has a few screws loose. Of course a sneeze might have given him a concussion. I assume you were originally a Nord's fan?

Optimus

Diamond Member
Aug 23, 2000
Nords fan? Far far worse my friend! As a hockey goalie, guess who my idol has always been... so guess who I followed from Montreal to Colorado... :eek:

Shocking, eh? I was massivly let down by his domestic problems - I have no tolerance for that kind of behavior... :( but it was too late - I'd been rooting for Colorado for a while now and God help me, it was so good to root for a team that actually stood a real chance! :D

And I'm glad the Leafs didn't get ole glass-skull Lindros! They need a couple solid D-men and another guy who can put the puck in the net... not a billionare cry-baby with 1 concussion left in his career.

Taz4158

Banned
Oct 16, 2000
All your points are good my friend, the Leafs time will come....eventually. They might want to consider getting rid of Quinn after this year. As a fellow goalie my idol was Jacques Plante and a distant second Bernie Parent.

polar

Jan 16, 2001
totally agree with Optimus, i'm so glad that the Lindros deal is off. what leafs need is a couple of tough wingers(both physically and mentally) and experienced defense.

Michael

Elite member
Nov 19, 1999
Optimus - As someone from Montreal, I cheer for the Habs and always will. I also cheer big time for the Avs because of Patrick Roy. I loathed the Nordiques and was so glad that the Avs won the Cup ofter they moved. Once Patrick is gone, I'll go back tocheering for the Habs and pay much more attention to the Sharks (where I now live).

Michael

classy

Lifer
Oct 12, 1999
Blake is the man thats for sure. But...............I don't think he has the impact on this team that Bourque had last year when he joined them. This team is pretty well stacked and make no mistake about it, Deadmarsh is big give up for a guy you might not sign. Sakic needs to be resigned as well as Roy. Peter "The Great" already makes $10 million. So I find it awfully hard to believe they will be able to sign and keep Forsberg, Sakic, Roy and now Blake? Somebody has got to go because last year the guy who owns them was talking about money issues then. He makes them deep but I question if he makes them better. And I do believe he is the best defenseman in the league, but he's going to a team that really has no weakness. He would have more of an impact if he went to like Dallas or Jersey. But this looks like an interesting playoffs is on the way. :)

Go Pens!!!!!!!!!

jorken

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
classy, they can't sign all of them. I'm pretty sure Sakic is free after this year. Thats why the Flyers will pick him up... mwhahaha

Optimus

Diamond Member
Aug 23, 2000
Classy: Yeah - it can't last forever, but it will be nice for a while.
Still, with this much power going into the playoffs comes the increased fear that if they fail...eep!

Michael - I still have my Canadiens jersey and pillowcase! I'd love to root for Les Blue Blanc, et Rouge again... but after the way they destroyed the Cup champions of the early 90's I'm not sure I can! Ah well.

Jmman

Diamond Member
Dec 17, 1999
Go lanche! I just hope it is enough to beat their nemesis, Detroit!! :( My friends favorite team....Might even have to get tickets if they have another home game against Detroit......

Javelin

Oct 13, 1999
The Avs have got to be the odds on favourites now... but if they don't win the cup and Blake leaves things will look bad, just like the Fleury deal. Gotta hand it to Pierre Lacroix though, he has the guts to go for it and he's done a good job drafting. Even if they lose one or 2 of their big guns, they'll still have Hejduk, Drury, Tanguay and Skoula.

As for the Lindros fiasco, i think Clarke should have made the deal. Its really pointless playing these games just to punish Lindros. He has a job as the GM to get the best deal possible for the club and I doubt anyone can come close to what the leafs were offering, especially given the fact that Eric says he won't play anywhere else. Its a good thing for the leafs that the whole deal is off... now they can concentrate on making the playoffs where its still fairly wide open in the east.

Gandalf511

Oct 13, 2000
The stars will march on to victory once more and all will be right in the world. the avs will be hard to beat, but i think if the stars get Peca (current rumor), then they'll have a good chance. Should be a fun season anyway. western conference is wide open right now

highme

Golden Member
Apr 22, 2000
Lindros has absolutely no business determining where he gets to play. That is up the GM to get the best possible deal for the Flyers. From the looks of it, they don't need anything, or haven't you noticed the tear that they have been on since Barber started coaching?

Sign shown at the Leafs/Flyers game last week

Eric
Simply
Plays
Nowhere

Now to the matter at hand. Blake and Reinprecht for Deader and Miller.

Can I get a GawdDamn? I am going to miss that little winger, Deader has always been one of my favorites, but he hasn't lived up to his potential. It would have been nice for him to get a Hatty in his last game as an Av.

To those saying Blake won't re-sign, wasn't that the word at the end of last year with Ray? Blake will play in Denver, realize he is surrounded by the best talent, is in a great sports town, and has a chance at repeatedly winning the cup, then he will sign.

Bourque has 1 maybe 2 season's left.
They damn well better sign Joey.

but he's going to a team that really has no weakness

Aside from having the 21st ranked penalty kill, Blake should help out there.

I was massivly let down by his domestic problems - I have no tolerance for that kind of behavior...

The guy got mad, was arguing with his wife, and ripped the doors of HIS HOUSE off their hinges. He did not touch his wife, he damaged property that HE OWNS (and I would guess that the winningest goaltender in hockey can afford some new doors.)

And the topper is that when Footer comes back, the Avalanche blue line is going to be untouchable.

My question is, how would you go about with the defensive pairings?

I say, split up Blake and Bourque, especially on the power play. Having 2 big guns like that firing from the point will be a boost to their already league leading power play, and Drury is devolping into a very good weapon opposite Ray.

I can't wait for the playoffs, best time of the year for televised sports.

Please let there be another Avs/Wings playoff series.

And for the love of god, keep Sakic out of Philly.

Taz4158

Banned
Oct 16, 2000

<< To those saying Blake won't re-sign, wasn't that the word at the end of last year with Ray? Blake will play in Denver, realize he is surrounded by the best talent, is in a great sports town, and has a chance at repeatedly winning the cup, then he will sign. >>

Like all good Ontario boys Blake will come home to Toronto. Stavro's not getting any younger and the budget will pretty much be unlimited the next two years. For anyone intersted in sport's radio from THE hotbed of hockey in North America, go to fan590.com and have a listen. The guy who's on between 4-7 is absolutely fantastic.

Javelin

Oct 13, 1999
I think something will have to give in Colorado... Sakic, Blake, Forsberg, Roy and Bourque will all command huge salaries.. around $8 mil each and the Avs are not the Rangers. Maybe if the Avs win the cup Bourque will retire or something but I certainly expect at least one of Sakic, Bourque or Blake to move at the end of the season.

Blake to Toronto is a possibility but the leafs should just forget about all these rumours and start playing some hockey. The whole Lindros affair was a huge distraction. There is no reason why the leafs should not be doing a hell of a lot better than they're doing now. They have top notch goaltending and Roberts and Corson should provide some much needed grit in the playoffs.

highme

Golden Member
Apr 22, 2000

<< Avs are not the Rangers >>

IMHO, thank god.

I wish Theo and Kamensky the best of luck, but the Rangers blow.

Mike Richter has got to be hating life right now.

The only thing that kept Sakic from resigning last year was the fact that he wanted a &quot;no trade clause.&quot; IMHO, he's the kind of guy who would be willing to take less money if he was guaranteed to play in Co. the rest of his career.

St. Patrick isn't going anywhere, and I wouldn't wager that Peter the Great is either. Joe is a question mark, but I think that he will be back.

In all honesty, Blake can leave at the end of the season if he wants. I just don't think that he will. He would be my choice if I had to pick one to go. Bourque/Foote are quite a pair, and Foote doesn't get near the credit he deserves.

jorken

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999

<< From the looks of it, they don't need anything, or haven't you noticed the tear that they have been on since Barber started coaching? >>

Highme, the flyers are doing extremely well right now with Barber but I wouldn't say that they don't need anyone. Recci, Primeuo and Gange are all great players and everything but none are someone to focus on. What they need is a star player, someone to bring a spark back.

As far as Lindros goes, bobby probably should have dealt him but its understandable why he didn't. I mean toronto is struggling a little bit right now with playoffs right around the corner, they are the team that needs someone. Bobby is just applying the pressure with the deadline coming up.

highme

Golden Member
Apr 22, 2000
Yeah, I am sure that they can use the help. They need a way to get past Jersey in the playoffs, but they shouldn't have to be limited to dealing with Toronto. What happened to the 3 way Phoenix/Toronto/Philly trade?

I just really dislike Lindpuss.

My wife has been getting me the Hallmark hockey greats Xmas ornaments every year since they started them.

Year 1- Gordie Howe
Year 2- Gretzky
Year 3- Mario
Year 4- Lindpuss? WTF? He shouldn't even be named in the same novel as those 3. I told her not to get me one, but she did anyways.

Thank god that soft skulled pansy refused to play in Quebec. I will take Peter the Great anyday over him.

An off topic WTB- I am looking for the McFarlane Toys Patrick Roy figure. I picked up Bourque when I had a chance at the 2 thinking that I would find St. Patrick elsewhere but haven't.

Oh, and Kay Bee Toys B&amp;M's have been clearing out thier McFarlane Slapshot and McKenzie brothers figures. $5.00 for a $15.00 piece is a good deal, if the Mc Brothers only came with a mouse for thier beer....