AV Receiver firmware update "Flash erase" ERROR

GEOrifle

Oct 2, 2005
Yamaha AV got "GUI Flash Erase" ERROR while updating the firmware at last 5th step and receiver is stuck on it.
Filed all kind of resettings and updates. I guess bad FLASH chip or something else causing it but i don't know what to do: check by tester all HDMI board components or just flash chipp (2 of it) iself?
I'm newbie and trying fix it by myself (No Warranty on it).
Any other recommendations?
Thanks.

thecoolnessrune

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2005
You'll have to try the recovery procedure for your specific Receiver. It usually involves unplugging your receiver, plugging in a USB Drive with the firmware, and holding down one of the buttons on the receiver while plugging the power back in.

If it can't successfully update the firmware with the above method, your unit is bricked, and you'll need to take it in to a Service Center to have the chip with faulty code replaced. Sometimes Yamaha has done this for free for out of warranty products, but if you bought it secondhand, or gray market, you may not have much resolution other than to pay.

GEOrifle

Oct 2, 2005
Autorized repair shop told me there is posibility of other faulty components too. I asked him to change flash chips but he recommended check whole board and also unit itself.
So now i wanted to find some kind of repair steps to find a faulty components. I'm newbie and lot to learn. Wanted to fix it myself but couldn't find Receiver repair lessons yet.
YouTube got some but they are so basics, HDMI board is high grade component system and even if i take it to repair shop, they will charge me at least $100 if not more when new board(maybe refubrished) he sels for $220.
Price i paid for it doesn't worth to pay for repair, it's better buy a new unit.
Thanks.