automatic vs manual...which makes the CAR faster

MrDudeMan

Lifer
Jan 15, 2001
ok, assuming you are able to shift reasonably fast...if you had the exact same car and you wanted it to go as fast as possible and accelorate as fast as possible, which one be better?

i said manual because you get to choose the shift intervals. in an automatic, it does it for you. what do you think?

Rubicante

Sep 11, 2003
manual. you control the shifts, so if youre good, the car can go faster. you get more HP at the wheels, too.

notfred

Lifer
Feb 12, 2001
That's really a stupid question. Depends on the type and quality of the driver and transmissions.

stso

Platinum Member
Nov 17, 2000
Originally posted by: Rubicante
manual. you control the shifts, so if youre good, the car can go faster. you get more HP at the wheels, too.

Demon-Xanth

Lifer
Feb 15, 2000
Depends on the car. Sometimes the torque converter helps with launches and keeps the RPM more constant, other times it's the weight and power loss that causes it to lose to a manual. Dodge Dakota w/ a 4.7: the manual is faster. Dodge Ram w/ the diesel: the auto is faster.

Mingon

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2000
You want the VW based DSG auto gearbox as a good compromise. Whilst auto gearboxes are less efficient, they allow the car to make reliable 0-60 runs.

Jeff7181

Lifer
Aug 21, 2002
A manual should have the highest top speed because there's no slippage at all assuming the clutch works properly. An auto will have some slippage in the torque converter even if the torque converter is equipped with a lockup clutch because it won't engage at wide open throttle, and if you're trying to reach top speed you'll be at wide open throttle.

You also don't have the parasitic powerloss from the pump that must be operated in an automatic, so you have more usable power with a manual transmission.

TheAudit

Diamond Member
May 2, 2003
He said faster which is different than quicker.
Doesn't matter which shifts more quickly (anyone who knows what he is doing should be able to get a manual to go quicker than an automatic) then what would determine the top end is the gear ratios. And manuals generally have a higher top gear than automatic so should be able to attain a faster speed. Although a lot of cars do have five speed automatics now, a lot of autoshifters are still four speeds with each gear being a compromise in ratio as compared to a manual gearbox with a lower 1st and a higher 5th or 6th gear. The compromise in gearing also equals slightly less fuel economy as well.

A manual should be quicker and faster than an automatic in the same car.
AND
more importantly
it's more fun.

MaxDepth

Diamond Member
Jun 12, 2001
I have beaten automatics with less hp using standard.
But what really matters the most is the gearbox.

MrDudeMan

Lifer
Jan 15, 2001
Originally posted by: notfred
That's really a stupid question. Depends on the type and quality of the driver and transmissions.

can you read? maybe you should read my first post, idiot
rolleye.gif

MrDudeMan

Lifer
Jan 15, 2001
Originally posted by: Jeff7181
A manual should have the highest top speed because there's no slippage at all assuming the clutch works properly. An auto will have some slippage in the torque converter even if the torque converter is equipped with a lockup clutch because it won't engage at wide open throttle, and if you're trying to reach top speed you'll be at wide open throttle.

You also don't have the parasitic powerloss from the pump that must be operated in an automatic, so you have more usable power with a manual transmission.

cool...i was wondering about the specifics, and that seems to hit on it a little bit

thomsbrain

Lifer
Dec 4, 2001
Originally posted by: Ladies Man
Auto

A computer can shift much better than any of you idiots can.

no. i'd say my auto makes a moronic mistake at least 2 or 3 times every time i commute. it's slightly better in sport mode, but then it waits way too long to upshift when you're just cruising at a steady speed, so that's no good either. if you can't shift better than your auto, i pity you.

PowerMac4Ever

Banned
Dec 9, 2000
Originally posted by: thomsbrain
Originally posted by: Ladies Man
Auto

A computer can shift much better than any of you idiots can.

no. i'd say my auto makes a moronic mistake at least 2 or 3 times every time i commute. it's slightly better in sport mode, but then it waits way too long to upshift when you're just cruising at a steady speed, so that's no good either. if you can't shift better than your auto, i pity you.
You must have a crappy car and/or broken transmission and/or don't know what you're talking about.

Howard

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
Originally posted by: Mingon
You want the VW based DSG auto gearbox as a good compromise. Whilst auto gearboxes are less efficient, they allow the car to make reliable 0-60 runs.
Max torque capacity of the DSG has yet to be tested, and it's slightly heavier than a normal manual, although it should make up for it with 8ms upshifts.

Howard

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
Originally posted by: TheAudit
He said faster which is different than quicker.
Doesn't matter which shifts more quickly (anyone who knows what he is doing should be able to get a manual to go quicker than an automatic) then what would determine the top end is the gear ratios. And manuals generally have a higher top gear than automatic so should be able to attain a faster speed. Although a lot of cars do have five speed automatics now, a lot of autoshifters are still four speeds with each gear being a compromise in ratio as compared to a manual gearbox with a lower 1st and a higher 5th or 6th gear. The compromise in gearing also equals slightly less fuel economy as well.

A manual should be quicker and faster than an automatic in the same car.
AND
more importantly
it's more fun.
Generally, this is the case, with cars equipped with manuals have a lower drivetrain loss than those with automatic transmissions. However, automatics serve some purposes better than manuals (high-torque dragsters).

GermyBoy

Banned
Jun 5, 2001
Why do you even care? Your penis will not magically change sizes if you win a race or have a fast car. Live with being normal.

bernse

Diamond Member
Aug 29, 2000
Depends. Auto's weigh anywhere from 100-200lbs more than an manual too... that's something that goes in the sticks favor.

notfred

Lifer
Feb 12, 2001
Originally posted by: MrDudeMan

rolleye.gif

You're acting like a dumbsh!t. A Lentech Street Terminator is a FAR better, and faster, auto transmission than most manual transmissions. The stock auto transmission in a Ford Focus is not. Auto LS1 Camaros w/ a shift kit are significantly quicker off the line than their 6 speed manual counterparts. A stock mustang GT's T-5 manual is faster than the stock AOD-E. And "reasonably fast" is hardly specific. What exactly is "reasonably fast" faster than?

Note: By "faster transmission" I mean that it's been shown to be faster by lots of drivers getting consistent results on drag strips.

WinkOsmosis

Banned
Sep 18, 2002
Originally posted by: MrDudeMan

rolleye.gif

You're acting like a dumbsh!t. A Lentech Street Terminator is a FAR better, and faster, auto transmission than most manual transmissions. The stock auto transmission in a Ford Focus is not. Auto LS1 Camaros w/ a shift kit are significantly quicker off the line than their 6 speed manual counterparts. A stock mustang GT's T-5 manual is faster than the stock AOD-E. And "reasonably fast" is hardly specific. What exactly is "reasonably fast" faster than?

Note: By "faster transmission" I mean that it's been shown to be faster by lots of drivers getting consistent results on drag strips.

Faster in a straight line :).

I'm sure that even my car is faster with an auto than with me driving because I'm not good at shifting. How much practice do you suppose I have shifting at 7k rpm?

BaboonGuy

Diamond Member
Aug 24, 2002
I tried making this argument, and heard that auto is faster. I heard they use auto in those funny car races and other race stuff.

GalvanizedYankee

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2003
Yahhh right! The guy in the video posted last week was "faster", then he made a 3rd to 2nd shift and went off the road.

Straight-up drag racing probably a stick.
In the twisties for an hour drive a good auto. I'm shiftless.
A good turbo/auto any day. Holds its power at altitude and very little turbo lag between shifts.

I'm probably wrong.........:)