Automakers counting on the stupidity and greed of Americans.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chunkee

Lifer
Jul 28, 2002
With the new incentives by GM an Ford (inspired by Hyundai?), consumers should read the fine print regarding the conditions of the 'incentives'. Philanthropic jargon and headlines seem to mask the idiocy behind these pieces of consumer bait.

Please purchase our cars. If for some reason you cannot afford it later, we will help you. Seems all too familiar as the mortgages that people cannot afford 'later'. If consumers are worried about theirs jobs, as I am, they should be weary of such propositions as these. I fear that the gullibility for new and shining things will backfire once again on this.

And there is the larger picture. Fiscal poignancy experienced by these automakers, band aided by 'stimulus' taxpayer's money, while pledging these financial responsibilities when you cannot provide for them is asinine.

I fear there will be an uptake of this dangling carrot, and of course in the long term, those still working and trying to save will carry the purse for irresponsibility of others.

jC

boomerang

Lifer
Jun 19, 2000
Just to be clear is your PSA directed towards potential buyers of GM, Ford and Hyundai cars? Because I get the impression from your post that it's only wrong to buy the domestics.

Chunkee

Lifer
Jul 28, 2002
Originally posted by: boomerang
Just to be clear is your PSA directed towards potential buyers of GM, Ford and Hyundai cars? Because I get the impression from your post that it's only wrong to buy the domestics.

The hynundai incentive is a bit different, you can return the car, in which they own it from then on, with no penalty. The domestic, GM and Ford, are offering to make your payments for you.

JC

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
It is fairly silly. Beyond any consideration of whether GM can still hold to this promise when they file for bankruptcy, there is the issue of course that if one's finances are so strapped that if laid off they can't make payments on their car basically starting right away, they shouldn't be buying one to begin with. Americans are addicted to credit and immediate gratification, though, in most aspects of their lives.

Strk

Lifer
Nov 23, 2003
Originally posted by: Chunkee

The hynundai incentive is a bit different, you can return the car, in which they own it from then on, with no penalty. The domestic, GM and Ford, are offering to make your payments for you.

JC

You're arguing responsibility, but one of your gripes is that GM and Ford don't allow you simply to walk away from your loan obligation?

Zenmervolt

Elite member
Oct 22, 2000
And there is the larger picture. Fiscal poignancy experienced by these automakers, band aided by 'stimulus' taxpayer's money, while pledging these financial responsibilities when you cannot provide for them is asinine.

Thesaurus fail.

Seriously, "fiscal poignancy"?

Main Entry:
poi·gnant
Pronunciation:
\'po?i-ny?nt sometimes 'po?i(g)-n?nt\
Function:
adjective
1: pungently pervasive <a poignant perfume>
2 a (1): painfully affecting the feelings : piercing (2): deeply affecting : touching b: designed to make an impression : cutting <poignant satire>
3 a: pleasurably stimulating b: being to the point : apt

So, "fiscal pungent pervasiveness"? Nope. "Fiscal piercingness"? Nope. "Fiscal aptness"? Nope.

Anyone else remember way back when schools used to teach English?

ZV

Chunkee

Lifer
Jul 28, 2002
Originally posted by: Zenmervolt

Thesaurus fail.

Main Entry:
poi·gnant
Pronunciation:
Function:
adjective
2 a (1): painfully affecting the feelings : piercing (2): deeply affecting : touching b: designed to make an impression : cutting <poignant satire>

So, "fiscal pungent pervasiveness"? Nope. "Fiscal piercingness"? Nope. "Fiscal aptness"? Nope.

ZV

Hey Mr. Momo. Please read the second line of definitions. Remember way when back when asshats like you could correct someone adequately. HMMM Guess not? Your head is too filled full of POIGNANT PHLEGM, making you phlegmatic. Or it could be your self-righteous pointed head? More than likely it is a POIGNANT combination of the two. Get a life.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001

Thesaurus fail.

Main Entry:
poi·gnant
Pronunciation:
Function:
adjective

ZV

Hey Mr. Momo. Please read the second line of definitions. Remember way when back when asshats like you could correct someone adequately. HMMM Guess not? Your head is too filled full of POIGNANT PHLEGM, making you phlegmatic. Or it could be your self-righteous pointed head? More than likely it is a POIGNANT combination of the two. Get a life.
Lol, open wide for Chunkee:laugh:

KentState

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2001

JC

How is that any different? Hyundai will buy insurance that will take back your car and eat the depreciation or GM will purchase insurance that will cover your payments if you loose a job. None of the manufacturers will have to cover these loses as this will be handled between the lender and insurer.

Chunkee

Lifer
Jul 28, 2002
Originally posted by: KentState

JC

How is that any different? Hyundai will buy insurance that will take back your car and eat the depreciation or GM will purchase insurance that will cover your payments if you loose a job. None of the manufacturers will have to cover these loses as this will be handled between the lender and insurer.

Either way, I understand the intention to stimulate sales, however, it seems as though it just is asking more trouble. Many consumers (unfortunately) will think, "heck, if I lose my job, no big deal. I just go and get this Escalade, etc."

Zenmervolt

Elite member
Oct 22, 2000

Thesaurus fail.

Main Entry:
poi·gnant
Pronunciation:
Function:
adjective

ZV

Nothing in the second line makes any sense as a modifier for "fiscal". Sorry. You're still wrong.

It could be a "poignant fiscal crisis" (where "poignant" modifies "crisis"), but "fiscal poignancy" still makes no sense whatsoever.

ZV

KentState

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2001
Originally posted by: KentState

JC

Either way, I understand the intention to stimulate sales, however, it seems as though it just is asking more trouble. Many consumers (unfortunately) will think, "heck, if I lose my job, no big deal. I just go and get this Escalade, etc."

I know GM is limiting the monthly payment that they will cover to $500 which is pretty much a $30k out the door loan including tax and title. The loans are already hard enough to get so unless you have a good credit score, you are not getting a car anyways.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
I don't see a problem with it. It's a Marketing gimmick to be sure, but it gives the Buyer some security in these times where possibly losing a Job keeps them from Buying a vehicle. GM/Ford are taking a Bet(possibly fairly safe) that the amount of Buyers will increase, but also that a large enough majority of them will continue to have a Job during the Financing period.

Status
Not open for further replies.