Auto Floor Mats

Nov 8, 2012
Anyone have recommendations for some floor mats for cars?

Looking to buy some ahead of time for my RAV4 Prime - but I honestly have never bought any. Brands like weather tech probably stick out to me just because I've heard it so often, but would prefer to get some insight on some recommendations.

Also, do I need ones specifically fit for my vehicle, or are "trim to fit" ones reasonable?

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
I bought WeatherTech mats for both my wife's car and mine (Honda and Toyota). They are really good quality, and they have held up for close to 8 years now. I didn't want to spend as much for my kid's car (Kia), so I ordered some fitted Westin floor mats from Rock Auto.

The WeatherTech mats fit perfectly, and while Westin mats fit decently, there is a noticeable difference in quality between the two brands. The only downside to WeatherTech mats is their price.

Reactions: RLGL

herm0016

Diamond Member
Feb 26, 2005
I have had the weathertechs, and they were nice. did not fit perfect in my pickup. I have the giant rubber huskyliner matt for the back seat of my truck, which usually has 220 lbs of dog in it, and its been great as well. i have factory rubber matts in the front and they are ok, but lack coverage

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
3D fit is great. I have Weathertech and they're pretty good, but I've come to discover MAXpider recently. The "Kagu" material is just as durable but feels & looks less industrial so it fits better with the look of nice interior. I only have Weathertech in the fronts of my 1 car now, but MAXpider in the other car plus my car's rear.

This is for the 2020 RAV4 so you have an idea: https://www.amazon.com/3D-MAXpider-L1TY25501509-All-Weather-Models-Kagu/dp/B07Y35QNHM

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
I put down a couple of cookie sheet pans on top of the floor pan carpets and forget about'um until they start sprouting weeds. 1/4 inch plywood custom cut to shape works as well but need to be brushed off at least once a year.

Seriously though, Weathertech's hard to beat if they're made for the car you want to put them in. Older models lose out this way.

Feb 4, 2009
I bought WeatherTech mats for both my wife's car and mine (Honda and Toyota). They are really good quality, and they have held up for close to 8 years now. I didn't want to spend as much for my kid's car (Kia), so I ordered some fitted Westin floor mats from Rock Auto.

The WeatherTech mats fit perfectly, and while Westin mats fit decently, there is a noticeable difference in quality between the two brands. The only downside to WeatherTech mats is their price.

This, weathertech mats are expensive however they fit perfectly and last a long, long, long time.
I have used them in at least 4 cars. Maybe more.
If paying around 3-4 times the amount up front but never having to replace them is what you are looking to do go with weathertech

Nov 8, 2012
Hot damn, $200 for these mats is pretty damn expensive.

Whatever, I guess I'm spending $40k on a vehicle - whats another $200 to protect the floors from coffee stains.

Looks like I might have to wait a bit, since none of the sites seem to have 2021 RAV4 Prime mats - unless I want to take a risk and just order the normal RAV4 mats....

Feb 4, 2009
Hot damn, $200 for these mats is pretty damn expensive.

Whatever, I guess I'm spending $40k on a vehicle - whats another $200 to protect the floors from coffee stains.

Looks like I might have to wait a bit, since none of the sites seem to have 2021 RAV4 Prime mats - unless I want to take a risk and just order the normal RAV4 mats....

They are expensive but remember they are a one time purchase as opposed to a 2-4 time purchase regarding the cheap mats.
Lasting a long time definitely has value.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
Costco has WeatherTech mats for cheap at their warehouse stores. I think the trunk mats are currently on sale.

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
Definitely buy trustworthy trunk mats, with a lip too if you can. You can throw anything and everything back there.

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
It may depend on what you need. If you have frequent heavy rain, or snow, you may need a mat that traps the water with deep ribbing.

If you don't, you may grow to hate the ribbing for the extra hassle in cleaning.

I've never worn out aftermarket floor mats, except decades ago when they were thin vinyl and would get stiff and crack in cold weather, yeah those were junk, but from a cost:year perspective, still fairly inexpensive to replace, tho' the value of a dollar was higher back then.

Trim to fit depends a lot on your specific vehicle, how that works out at the cut edge.

If you plan on spilling your coffee, it is going to run down under the mat anyway. ;)

Nov 8, 2012
It may depend on what you need. If you have frequent heavy rain, or snow, you may need a mat that traps the water with deep ribbing.

If you don't, you may grow to hate the ribbing for the extra hassle in cleaning.

I've never worn out aftermarket floor mats, except decades ago when they were thin vinyl and would get stiff and crack in cold weather, yeah those were junk, but from a cost:year perspective, still fairly inexpensive to replace, tho' the value of a dollar was higher back then.

Trim to fit depends a lot on your specific vehicle, how that works out at the cut edge.

If you plan on spilling your coffee, it is going to run down under the mat anyway. ;)

Yeah I'm not so sure I like the "trim to fit" models. I also don't like ones that only cover the direct floor and would prefer a kind that has a somewhat U-Shape that covers the SIDES as well as the floor where the feet are.

Reactions: Meghan54

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
I went with Husky Liners X-Act Contour liners for my Ford F-150's. I like the material better than the Weathertech.

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
WeatherTechs are extremely expensive but are worth every penny. With the exception of the Viper (not available) and my Tesla the last six or so cars I've owned have all had WeatherTechs and I've never once regretted the cost. I have 3D-MAXPider in my Tesla but in general prefer the WeatherTech. I chose the MAXPiders due to their higher level of coverage of the dead pedal which in 2020+ is carpeted.

I have owned one Husky product as well, I used it for the cargo area in my Focus RS because it was direct fit vs WeatherTech's being cut to fit. WeatherTech floor liners front and rear + Husky cargo was the best of both worlds.

In my wife's CX-5 we bought the OEM all weather mats because they were less than half the cost and available the day we picked up the car. We ended up tossing them a couple years later and replacing them with WeatherTech like we should have bought in the first place. Just nowhere near the same.

Viper GTS

nisryus

Sep 11, 2007
I have Husky liners for my Foresters, but Weathertech for the cargo space. General I prefer the Husky on how the edge covers better than Weathertech. Plus Husky was cheaper.