Author of TrueCrypt - Global Criminal

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
Fun read. I'd be interested to see them do a similar expose on Bitcoin.

John Connor

Lifer
Nov 30, 2012
Okay, read it but there was no mention of Truecrypt. I read that the authours weren't even known.

So is Paul Le Roux the author of Truecrypt?

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Okay, read it but there was no mention of Truecrypt. I read that the authours weren't even known.

So is Paul Le Roux the author of Truecrypt?

It goes into it in episode three. The tl;dr is "probably", and that's about the best you'll get for software with shady origins.

Beer4Me

Mar 16, 2011
Click bait? This has nothing to do with computers, coding, etc. Basically about murder and drugs, or everyday life in Mexico.

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
That. Is. Awesome.

Somebody needs to make a TV series about this guy. Movie length wouldn't do it justice.

John Connor

Lifer
Nov 30, 2012
Okay, can someone just give me the synopses? I just don't have time to read a long article about murders & drugs.

John Connor

Lifer
Nov 30, 2012
The guy who maybe wrote truecrypt is a bond villain.

So it was Le Roux!

Now this is good reading! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TrueCrypt#E4M_and_SecurStar_dispute

I'll never use my computer the same.

I had noticed a hazy connection between the body and a man named Paul Le Roux, a South African who was reputed to be the most prolific international criminal of the 21st century. The scant information I could find on Le Roux suggested his involvement in weapons shipments, gold smuggling, and online prescription-drug sales. But he was also a kind of phantom, reportedly captured by the United States Drug Enforcement Administration in 2012 and then disappeared to work as a valuable asset. My attempts to find out who Le Roux really was, and why the U.S. wanted so badly to keep him a secret, had led me from New York to Manila and then to this vacant lot, where I suspected that Le Roux’s ghostly influence had once been manifest.

Last edited: