Aurora Theater Shooting - 1 person derailed the settlement, now 4 on the hook for 700k bill.

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Yep, missed type, but was thinking of the larger amount of federal agencies and federal law enforcement growth in NYC due to counter terrorism and other major violent crime incidents as well as growing private security and more police being put on foot patrol duty. My bad when I typed that. The facts I pointed out earlier still remain. Largest police force. Large amounts of private security forces. Controversial policing policy changes. Major changes in public sentiment (including to the criminal elements) of violent crimes due to major violent incidents like 9/11

Yes they sure are talked about. I even mentioned in as a quote already in this thread in relation to the wiki.

All of which is under the TACTICS section of the wiki talking about how NYC tackled it's previous problem with violent crime rates prior to 1995.

No you wrote the implication that because of lack of CCW allowed in NYC, that it was the safest city. I stated emphatically that NYC is safe because of tactics that I mentioned. Largest police force, lots of private security, "stop and frisk" policing policy, change in public sentiment about violent crime, and even increased federal presence for anti terrorism measures are those tactics. Both the wiki and the other article I linked talk about how NYC reduced its violent crime rate and directly attributed those tactics as the reasons for the decline since 1995.

As for more article talking about growing private security in NYC since 9/11. Have this to chew on

http://citylimits.org/2016/05/03/as...grows-with-little-oversight-problems-persist/

I stated in my first statement I wouldn't visit any any CCW business UNLESS I knew there was an armed security presence nearby that could intervene immediately. NYC has done that with the tactics I outlined.

You are still a shill and an idiot for even making your stupid shill statement and argument.

Basically none of those people are armed, you fucking idiot. You would know that if you lived here.

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
I understand these peoples issues are sad. But to say Cinemark should pay for something they had nothing to do with is also wrong.

The 700K legal bill wouldn't have existed without the law suit that had no chance. It was driven by greed of the lawyers and the people that wanted a piece of the action.

Why do you think the theater should pay?

Greed of the lawyers maybe but I'd wager that a good portion of the victims it's more desperation than greed.

HumblePie

Lifer
Oct 30, 2000
Basically none of those people are armed, you fucking idiot. You would know that if you lived here.

Police aren't armed? federal agents aren't armed? armed private security isn't armed?

My what a fantasy land you live in.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Police aren't armed? federal agents aren't armed? armed private security isn't armed?

My what a fantasy land you live in.

Basically none of the private security guards outlined in your link are armed. You would know that if you had ever encountered them, you clueless moron.

You are pretty obviously just googling 'private security NYC' in a pathetic attempt to back up a stupid and uninformed statement you made.

Last edited:

HumblePie

Lifer
Oct 30, 2000
Basically none of the private security guards outlined in your link are armed. You would know that if you had ever encountered them, you clueless moron.

You are pretty obviously just googling 'private security NYC' in a pathetic attempt to back up a stupid and uninformed statement you made.

OMG you are seriously the pathetic one. What sort of fairy tale world world do you live in?

Do you seriously think violent crime in NYC just disappeared on its own because of magic or something? I have just linked and listed what the experts ALL stated on the subject. Armed first responders already on site are what deters violent criminals. Basic rule of thumb, nothing stops a bad guy with a gun except a good guy with a gun. New Yorkers just prefer that good guy with a gun always be a cop of some sort. Which is fine so long as that cop of some sort is already there. Because another rule of thumb for most places is that when seconds count the cops are minutes away. In NYC they went out of their way to make sure a cop of some sort is only seconds away and not minutes away. Wow, how fucking hard is this to understand for you.

The rest of the country has a serious problem with that sort of arrangement when it comes to their personal freedom.

And that last article listed an estimate of about 115K security guards working in NYC alone. Which is about 4 times the amount of police. Which the police force is the largest in the US, what do you that conservative estimated number of security guards puts NYC in the ranking compared to other US cities? Easy answer, number 1 again but a far shot.

Are all those security guards armed? Nope, but I promise you that those 115K security guards aren't all unarmed you dingle berry as you seem to imply yet again. That and while you don't see them armed, doesn't mean they aren't armed or have a fire arm nearby they can reach if needed. They don't exactly wear the same utility belts cops do with cuffs, taser, and their gun attached usually.

I don't need to google anything that has already shown what I stated originally and is very common knowledge. This is why you are a shill as you seem to keep thinking you are winning some sort of argument against common sense.

Reactions: ozzy702

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
The overwhelming majority of those private security guards are not armed and they most certainly do not have some gun nearby that they can grab. Gun permits, even for work purposes, are difficult to get in NYC. Literally anyone who has spent time here would know that private security of the type mentioned your article are almost never armed. Have you ever even been to NYC? Where did you see these armed private security guards?

This is yet again a case where you got caught talking out of your ass. I have busted you three times now for false assertions. First your false statement about police numbers, second your false statement about the efficacy of stop and frisk, now third, your false statement about armed private security.

You are as usual, completely full of shit. I have given you nothing but facts while you have responded with flailing personal attacks, made up 'facts' and unfounded declarations of your rightness. As I said before, you are a clueless moron.

HumblePie

Lifer
Oct 30, 2000
The overwhelming majority of those private security guards are not armed and they most certainly do not have some gun nearby that they can grab. Gun permits, even for work purposes, are difficult to get in NYC. Literally anyone who has spent time here would know that private security of the type mentioned your article are almost never armed. Have you ever even been to NYC? Where did you see these armed private security guards?

This is yet again a case where you got caught talking out of your ass. I have busted you three times now for false assertions. First your false statement about police numbers, second your false statement about the efficacy of stop and frisk, now third, your false statement about armed private security.

You are as usual, completely full of shit. I have given you nothing but facts while you have responded with flailing personal attacks, made up 'facts' and unfounded declarations of your rightness. As I said before, you are a clueless moron.

HAHAHA, again you show your stupidity. Gun permits aren't that hard to get for security guards.There are many courses that offer them for a few hundred bucks and many job postings with a quick job search for NYC shows the requirement needed for that. Again, you are loon that hasn't a clue about this industry or how the world works. Do I live in NYC nope. Been there? Yes. So has many of my family and people I know. There are many on this board too besides your fruity ass that live in NYC. Just because you walk around oblivious to your surroundings doesn't mean everyone else does. Enjoy your fairy tale world you live in.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
HAHAHA, again you show your stupidity. Gun permits aren't that hard to get for security guards.There are many courses that offer them for a few hundred bucks and many job postings with a quick job search for NYC shows the requirement needed for that. Again, you are loon that hasn't a clue about this industry or how the world works.

Lol, you did a Google search for jobs in NYC requiring s gun as some sort of proof that there are armed private security everywhere. You are just getting angrier and angrier as I keep showing you to be a babbling ignoramus.

Do I live in NYC nope. Been there? Yes. So has many of my family and people I know. There are many on this board too besides your fruity ass that live in NYC. Just because you walk around oblivious to your surroundings doesn't mean everyone else does. Enjoy your fairy tale world you live in.

Oh look, you have a friend again who you thinks knows something. Anyone who lives in NYC who wants to weigh in on how common armed private guards are is welcome. It is hilarious that you're trying to argue with someone about the city they live in based on nothing.

Your own fucking article you cited without reading says they are unarmed, genius.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
By the way, for the third time if you think these armed private guards are commonplace please tell me where they are located. I'll be around in the city today so I can easily go check it out.

Be as specific as possible.

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
50 yards I can do too. As I originally said and showed videos of others doing it too in that thread.

Why not give it a break. You're not going to be shooting quarters at 50 yards consistently to begin with unless you have something like a big Thompson Contender with a scope on it, which is not much of a CCW weapon.

That would be hard to do offhand with my 6" .357 Blackhawk, though I like my 4" .357 King Cobra better.

Calling people ignorant/stupid seems to be another one of your fortes, you really aren't helping your case any there.

You seem like the one in the fairy tale world to me.

Last edited:

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
They ALL had the choice to accept it or not, 4 got greedy, and it bit them in the ass.

HumblePie

Lifer
Oct 30, 2000

The fact you guys keep bringing this up as some sort of counter argument to every thread I post in shows how bad your arguments are in the first place. But to address that once more. I said under optimal conditions I could make such a shot. Which when asked for clarification I said indoor range with a vice would make it easy enough for anyone to accomplish such a task. Even when others called it impossible I posted videos of others doing it. So not sure how my BS was called out when many others here came to my defense on that.

Last edited:

HumblePie

Lifer
Oct 30, 2000
By the way, for the third time if you think these armed private guards are commonplace please tell me where they are located. I'll be around in the city today so I can easily go check it out.

I dont live there but if you feel like you have a crusade to prove against common sense and a ton of article of expert opinions on this subject why not walk around randomly in NYC downtown and visit every building you see a security guard. Ask them if they are armed or can easily reach a firearm if the need arises. If you feel silly asking such then say it is for a school survey project or something.

I am not angry at all but find you a trollish shill as always. It boggles my mind how you are even trying to be serious about this.

If you dont want to even attempt the survey, how about you at least put forth an attempt at a hypothesis of why NYC has had a steady decline of violent crime since 1995 since you dont want to take the experts and common sense logic on this.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
I dont live there but if you feel like you have a crusade to prove against common sense and a ton of article of expert opinions on this subject why not walk around randomly in NYC downtown and visit every building you see a security guard. Ask them if they are armed or can easily reach a firearm if the need arises. If you feel silly asking such then say it is for a school survey project or something.

I am not angry at all but find you a trollish shill as always. It boggles my mind how you are even trying to be serious about this.

If you dont want to even attempt the survey, how about you at least put forth an attempt at a hypothesis of why NYC has had a steady decline of violent crime since 1995 since you dont want to take the experts and common sense logic on this.

You don't seem to understand. I live and work here every day. I see security guards all the time and they aren't armed. The article you tried to provide showing how many of them there were armed explicitly talked about how they aren't armed.

I already know how it is. I'm asking you to name specific places because I know you can't. This is because you're entirely full of shit.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
You don't seem to understand. I live and work here every day. I see security guards all the time and they aren't armed. The article you tried to provide showing how many of them there were armed explicitly talked about how they aren't armed.

I already know how it is. I'm asking you to name specific places because I know you can't. This is because you're entirely full of shit.

When we visited NYC a few years ago the most ubiquitous form of security was the Doormen who are def not packing iron.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Cinemark drops bid to recoup $700,000 in litigation costs from Aurora victims

http://m.csmonitor.com/USA/Justice/...0-000-in-litigation-costs-from-Aurora-victims

Cinemark, having successfully fought a lawsuit brought on by victims of the 2012 Colorado theater shooting, will not pursue incurred legal costs.
Despite losing a lawsuit against Cinemark USA, victims of a 2012 Colorado theater shooting will not have to pay the company’s $700,000 legal costs, after the company reached an agreement on Tuesday.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013

http://m.csmonitor.com/USA/Justice/...0-000-in-litigation-costs-from-Aurora-victims

Cinemark, having successfully fought a lawsuit brought on by victims of the 2012 Colorado theater shooting, will not pursue incurred legal costs.
Despite losing a lawsuit against Cinemark USA, victims of a 2012 Colorado theater shooting will not have to pay the company’s $700,000 legal costs, after the company reached an agreement on Tuesday.

Sounds like a good PR move by Cinemark.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001

Well if you're in CA, almost every MMJ dispensary has an armed guard.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Well if you're in CA, almost every MMJ dispensary has an armed guard.

No MMJ dispensaries in NYC and more importantly I would hope that no one would be stupid enough to say California's declining crime rate was due to MMJ dispensary guards.

Anyone who lives here or has spent significant amounts of time here knows that there has not been some mass deployment of armed private security. That idiot just has no idea what he's talking about...yet again.

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
HAHAHA, again you show your stupidity. Gun permits aren't that hard to get for security guards.There are many courses that offer them for a few hundred bucks and many job postings with a quick job search for NYC shows the requirement needed for that. Again, you are loon that hasn't a clue about this industry or how the world works. Do I live in NYC nope. Been there? Yes. So has many of my family and people I know. There are many on this board too besides your fruity ass that live in NYC. Just because you walk around oblivious to your surroundings doesn't mean everyone else does. Enjoy your fairy tale world you live in.

I was born and bred and still live in NYC. It is extremely hard for one to get a job required gun permit. Even in the 80s, when I worked security, it was extremely hard. Today, it's pretty much non-existent. Most of those that YOU think are armed security are moon-lighting cops, or corrections officers or retired law enforcement.

Balt

Lifer
Mar 12, 2000

I don't think the plaintiffs deserved to win their case.

BUT

I'm not sure what the correct balance is between preventing frivolous lawsuits and giving the average joe a chance to get recompense for a wrong they've suffered. If plaintiffs are always going to be on the hook for legal fees when they lose, then your average person has to face the possibility of a lifetime of debt if they ever try a case against a huge company. Since large companies can run up legal bills into the millions if they want, the risk/reward ratio becomes a nightmare for most people. You hope it prevents frivolous lawsuits, of course, but it may also prevent people with stronger cases from daring to risk a legitimate lawsuit.

I just hope it's a problem I never have to face.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
My handgun had a 2" inch barrel, a 6" inch barrel is cheating. That is friggin huge.
Man, how do you hit anything with a 2" barrel? Everything I have is between 3" & 4". (Well, not EVERYTHING I have is between 3" and 4", thankfully.) One of the guys I used to hunt with carried a huge scoped SA revolver (forget the model) in .44 Mag with a 12" or 14" heavy barrel, ribbed (presumably for her pleasure, if television is to be believed.) Thing felt like it weighed as much as my .30-30. For me, it would have been more dangerous to a deer as a club than as a firearm.

Sounds like a good PR move by Cinemark.
Yup. Nice though, even though I know nice played no part in the calculation.

bshole

Diamond Member
Mar 12, 2013
Man, how do you hit anything with a 2" barrel? Everything I have is between 3" & 4". (Well, not EVERYTHING I have is between 3" and 4", thankfully.) One of the guys I used to hunt with carried a huge scoped SA revolver (forget the model) in .44 Mag with a 12" or 14" heavy barrel, ribbed (presumably for her pleasure, if television is to be believed.) Thing felt like it weighed as much as my .30-30. For me, it would have been more dangerous to a deer as a club than as a firearm.

Damn I thought we were talking about my penis, you meant my firearm. I apologize for the confusion.

I could a hit a paper plate at 5 yards with my handgun. At 10 yards, forget about it. I got rid of it this year. It hadn't been used once in the last decade. You can't get too attached to material things.