Aunt Viv to Fresh Prince - Get over yoself!

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Ackmed

Diamond Member
Oct 1, 2003
None of the other movies/actors were that good to be nominated. Claiming that Smith got "snubbed" infers that someone else on the list doesn't deserve to be there. Smith is a very good actor and has been nominated for an Academy twice before. Perhaps he should get a participation trophy to appease this newer generations feel that everyone has to win something.

http://money.cnn.com/2016/01/20/media/stacey-dash-fox-news-oscars-black-history-month/index.html

"We have to make up our minds. Either we want to have segregation or integration, and if we don't want segregation, then we have to get rid of channels like BET and the BET Awards and the Image Awards, where you're only awarded if you're black," Dash said. "If it were the other way around, we would be up in arms. It's a double standard."

This is exactly true.

SP33Demon

Lifer
Jun 22, 2001
If Smith had won the oscar for Concussion it would have started a chain reaction that would ultimately lead to the disbanding of the NFL. The NFL can't allow that, can they? Once jada realizes what REALLY happened will she boycott pro football?
What would you do if you found out that the people who decide nominations were taking NFL money to shun Concussion?

Ackmed

Diamond Member
Oct 1, 2003
Sure it is. Segregation is not good in this instance, which is what she said. Having segregated channels, awards, pageants, etc is bad. And it is hypocritical when something doesn't go your way to cry racism.

Funny how Jada says this when her husband didn't get nominated. Which he has multiple times before. Perhaps his performance just wasn't good enough. Smith said in reply that she would have said something regardless, and brought out the "think of the children" card. Saying that kids watching should see themselves represented. Well not if their performances are not good enough they shouldn't. If someone isn't good enough, they don't get nominated. Period. This should be true for all things in life. If someone is better for the job than another, the lesser qualified shouldn't get the job for any reason, race being one of them.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
Except for the part where you know, white people are nominated and win BET awards.

then we have to get rid of channels like BET and the BET Awards and the Image Awards, where you're only awarded if you're black

Ackmed

Diamond Member
Oct 1, 2003
That is true, partially. White people are awarded some awards on the BET awards. Very few, and not every year. I believe Sam Smith won best new artist, we watched it. Do you see complaints that not enough white people are nominated for it? Do you see a white miss America pageant? No. What do you think would happen if there was? Her argument is valid, having segregated channels/etc, then complaining about segregation is stupid.

The main basis of her complaint is that no black people were nominated, and others claiming the same thing. They want black people nominated no matter if they deserve it or not. Not once did they mention merit. Who does Jada think her husband performed better than? From the ones who did get nominated I can't see one. Smith has been nominated for an Academy award multiple times before too.

momeNt

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2011
Maybe Will Smith should have done better in Concussion then. Not a bad movie btw (all football fans should see it), just not an Oscar-worthy performance.

There isn't any reason for a football fan to see it actually.

This information was available in real time leading up to a movie that is produced on a years old story. Bennet Omalu was featured in a GQ article in 2009.

http://www.gq.com/story/nfl-players-brain-dementia-study-memory-concussions

People act as if the movie is eye opening. Its only eye opening to people who don't pay attention or don't read, and get their information from dramatic interpretations done by Hollywood?

edit: And good on Aunt Viv for calling out the Smith's for being hilariously hypocritical. Also nice little tidbit about the cast-wide raise that Will Smith said fuck you on. I didn't realize he was a piece of shit but as I always say, I try to separate the art from the artist.

Last edited:

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
That is true, partially. White people are awarded some awards on the BET awards. Very few, and not every year. I believe Sam Smith won best new artist, we watched it. Do you see complaints that not enough white people are nominated for it? Do you see a white miss America pageant? No. What do you think would happen if there was? Her argument is valid, having segregated channels/etc, then complaining about segregation is stupid.

The main basis of her complaint is that no black people were nominated, and others claiming the same thing. They want black people nominated no matter if they deserve it or not. Not once did they mention merit. Who does Jada think her husband performed better than? From the ones who did get nominated I can't see one. Smith has been nominated for an Academy award multiple times before too.

I don't disagree with you, just stating that her rant was factually incorrect.

Ackmed

Diamond Member
Oct 1, 2003
For last year, yes it was. I agree with you. People don't have to be black to be nominated for BET awards.

momeNt

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2011
So the real battle is with with Hollywood Jew. But in order for Spike Lee to remain PC, he referred to them as executives. Is this dog-whistle anti-semitism or what?

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
British actress and first-time Academy Award nominee Charlotte Rampling said in a radio interview on Friday the boycott of the Oscars protesting the absence of black actors and directors is racist towards whites.

In the interview, Rampling was asked by a France-based Europe 1 journalist if she felt African-American director Spike Lee was right to pledge to boycott the Oscars over the absence of blacks among the nominees.

"No, I find to the contrary, that it's racist toward whites," said Rampling, who is nominated for her role in the British drama "45 Years."

When asked to elaborate, Rampling said "one can never really know," but that "perhaps sometimes black actors have not earned a place in the final running."

Uh oh! I bet she'll get fucking raped, figuratively, for speaking her mind with no PC sugar coating. Kudos to her for speaking up, anyway.

Source (one of them)

QueBert

Lifer
Jan 6, 2002

BET gets called racist all the time by white people. Considering the number of Caucasian artists who make what would falls under the "black music" category. An astonishingly high number of them get nominated. The Oscars = all movies. BET awards = Rap & R&B. If the BET awards encompassed all genres of music people might have a point worth bitching about. Call me cynical but ig Sam Smith can WIN a BET award when he didn't even have close to the best song of the year. The Oscars could at least nominate one black actor/actress. Even if they had zero chance of winning. I don't follow award shows so is there a maximum number of nominees where giving Smith a nod would have bumped out someone more deserving? I personally think Smith is a fairly shitty actor so I could care less he didn't get nominated. Just curious why they couldn't have thrown him name in just to shut people up.