Audiophiles: Is this stereo still good by today's standards?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
I remember that model. It'll play loud but is pretty poor sound wise. Speaker technology does change somewhat but you'll need decent components first.

If you like it then rock on. A nice HTiB would be a good idea as well.

Squisher

Lifer
Aug 17, 2000
My mains and rears were originally developed in the 50s, but went through upgrades by Klipsch over the years. People tell that they sound just fine and they're 15 years old.

There are allot better speakers, but I think I'll keep them.

Kenwood of that era wasn't all that high end anyway, but if you're happy with the sound, that's all that matters.

TechnoKid

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2001
5.1 and stereo are two different things. I'd take a good sounding stereo system over a so-so 5.1 anyday. But, a proper sounding and performing 5.1 system is better than a stereo system for obvious reasons, except if the 5.1 system is tuned more for moves than music reproduction.

As for the system in question; my uncle has a very similar setup, with the same outboard amp but different seperate preamp. IMO, it sounded terrible on the speakers he had (they weren't kenwoods, I think they were infinity). What he did was buy a newer kenwood 5.1 reciever, and it sounded much better than the older kenwood amp.

With the older setup, he had to use eq and boost stuff to make it sound good; the newer kenwood reciever has a much cleaner amp, and could drive the speakers very well without any eq boost or curve adjustment. To see if this is the same for you, listen to your setup with all the bass boosts, treble and the eq at a flat curve. You will notice that it is lacking definition.

If I were to buy new equipment, I'd go for Paradigm speakers, and a denon or onkyo or harmon kardon reciever.

Viperoni

Lifer
Jan 4, 2000
I'd wager that the amp is pretty good compared to todays $400 receivers, and the fact that everything's seperate is nice too. It just won't do DD/DTS ;)