AudioengineD1 left speaker stops working after unplugging headphones

FireJack

Oct 31, 2015
The dac is hooked up to the audio A5+ speakers

Fixed the problem before by replugging and unplugging the headphones before but this time it's not working.

The speaker actually works made sure of that.
Both sides of the headphones work so I know the left audio channel works.

Assuming this is (as I suspect) a hardware defect does audioengine have a good return policy?

Harvey

Administrator<br>Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
The problem is probably with the headphone jack, itself. The headphone jack has contacts that connect the audio output to the speakers when not interrupted/displaced by inserting the plug from the phones into the jack. It sounds like one of those contacts is failing.

Two things to try:

1. If you can access the jack on the motherboard, try spraying a little contact cleaner into the contacts, or try coating the headphone plug with a little WD-40 and repeatedly plugging and removing it.

2. Open the machine. If you can access headphone jack on the motherboard, you may be able to access the contacts and clean them with contact cleaner on a small brush, or you may be able to gently bend the open contact so it makes contact when no headphone plug is inserted.

Good luck. :)

FireJack

Oct 31, 2015
This is the audioengine DAC http://audioengineusa.com/Store/D1-24-Bit-DAC
Its not part of the mobo.

This youtube video has a pretty good look at what the headphone jack looks like with the case pulled off https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_fROhEw5t0 at 2:54.

For whatever reason it doesn't unblock the sound to the left speaker when the headphone jack is no longer detected. If something has gone loose I'm not sure how I could fix it given how it's soldered to the circuit board. It does look like opening the dac doesn't void the warranty though so I could look at it.

Harvey

Administrator<br>Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
If it's still under warranty, just let them fix it for you. Their warranty page has the info you need, including their toll free support phone number, (877) 853-4447.

In the video, the bottom view of the circuit board shows that the jack is probably a "through hole" part, rather than surface mounted, which means that it's connected to the board through pins that can be unsoldered. The part, itself, sells for $0.25 at All Electronics, in Van Nuys, Ca., and it looks something like this:

10596.Jpg

This may not be the exact part so you'd have to confirm the footprint for the part you actually need. If it's out of warranty, it may not be difficult to repair for a friend who knows electronics and is handy with a solder iron, or you can always get an estimate from a local repair technician. Don't try it if you're not familiar with working on electronics.

Last edited:

FireJack

Oct 31, 2015
I bought it off amazon.ca and I can't find any of the papers that came with it.

I fixed by attempting to pry it open (it did not come off like the video, I'm not sure why). I stopped fearing I could completely break it and tried it again and it worked fine.
I'll have to find another way to use headphones as I don't know if it will fix so easily next time. Thanks for your help though.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
I bought it off amazon.ca and I can't find any of the papers that came with it.

I fixed by attempting to pry it open (it did not come off like the video, I'm not sure why). I stopped fearing I could completely break it and tried it again and it worked fine.
I'll have to find another way to use headphones as I don't know if it will fix so easily next time. Thanks for your help though.

you still have the electronic receipt to prove when you bought it. check with audio engine support.