Audio noise in new set-up

DownTheSky

Apr 7, 2013
I've got background noise coming from my PC on my new set-up (Topping E30 + Little Dot MK II). The DAC is connected though USB to the PC. It sounds like electrical noise + when I move the mouse it makes a sound. I've tried different cables, usb ports etc, even changed the PSU no matter what I do it stayed the same. While it's not very loud, it's very annoying. It's inperceptible under ~2/10 volume on the AMP but over that it goes louder and louder.

The same set-up on a different PC, and on a laptop I own has no background noise.

I'm thinking there must be some interference from cables inside the case or it's the MOBO's fault? I also have noise on the speaker system on this PC when the PC is turned off.

mobo is ASUS TUF B460 gaming

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
What USB cable are you using? Is the cable shielded, or are you using an old printer cable? How close is your dac & amp to the pc?

Last edited:

thesmokingman

Platinum Member
May 6, 2010
I've got background noise coming from my PC on my new set-up (Topping E30 + Little Dot MK II). The DAC is connected though USB to the PC. It sounds like electrical noise + when I move the mouse it makes a sound. I've tried different cables, usb ports etc, even changed the PSU no matter what I do it stayed the same. While it's not very loud, it's very annoying. It's inperceptible under ~2/10 volume on the AMP but over that it goes louder and louder.

The same set-up on a different PC, and on a laptop I own has no background noise.

I'm thinking there must be some interference from cables inside the case or it's the MOBO's fault? I also have noise on the speaker system on this PC when the PC is turned off.

It's can't be the MB, you're not using anything in it, ie. you're using USB so its all external except for USB itself which is either off the cpu or off the chipset. Whats your board/cpu etc? And what USB are you using, 2 or 3?

DownTheSky

Apr 7, 2013
Asus TUF Gaming B460 + 10400f, GTX 1060 6GB. The board only has USB 3.

I've narrowed it down to the amp. I think it's broken. Bought it second hand + lots of tubes included, thought it was a good deal.. Thing is if I either disconnect the amp power cable or the audio cables, the noise goes away. There must be some interference between the power circuitry and the audio in circuitry inside the amp (I've opened it and it's a mess inside). But then why there is noise only on this PC? And goes linear with increasing the volume.

Thing is at my listening level there is no noise so I guess it's kinda okay.

I don't know if to try to fix it or leave is as is.

What USB cable are you using? Is the cable shielded, or are you using an old printer cable? How close is your dac & amp to the pc?
It's the cable that came with the DAC. I've got no idea if it's shielded or not, but if I connect the headphones directly to the DAC there is no noise.

thesmokingman

Platinum Member
May 6, 2010
Asus TUF Gaming B460 + 10400f, GTX 1060 6GB. The board only has USB 3.

I've narrowed it down to the amp. I think it's broken. Bought it second hand + lots of tubes included, thought it was a good deal.. Thing is if I either disconnect the amp power cable or the audio cables, the noise goes away. There must be some interference between the power circuitry and the audio in circuitry inside the amp (I've opened it and it's a mess inside). But then why there is noise only on this PC? And goes linear with increasing the volume.

Thing is at my listening level there is no noise so I guess it's kinda okay.

I don't know if to try to fix it or leave is as is.

It's the cable that came with the DAC. I've got no idea if it's shielded or not, but if I connect the headphones directly to the DAC there is no noise.

This is counter to what you wrote when tested on a laptop. If the amp was bad you should have heard noise on the laptop as well. What is the difference in those two setups then?

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000

Did you try removing the desktop speakers to see if they are the cause of the noise? I don't see how it could be the headphone amp since you didn't have the noise on the laptop or other pc.

Reactions: DownTheSky

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
I dont have a solution for you but theres something I wanna mention. When I got a new high powered video card I noticed it could cause some mild noise on my speakers, but only when running a 3D game and the cooling fans kick in. And shielding the cable didnt help. I think the interference went straight from video card to motherboard.

DownTheSky

Apr 7, 2013
Did you try removing the desktop speakers to see if they are the cause of the noise? I don't see how it could be the headphone amp since you didn't have the noise on the laptop or other pc.

You are right!. It had to do with the speakers or the amp from the speakers. If I unplug the speakers from the MB the sound goes away.