Audio issue MSI X99A SLI PLUS

Paolor

Oct 25, 2016
Hi all,
just made a new build for myself mainly for network virtualization and a bit of gaming.
components as follows:
Corsair 550D Silent Case
Corsair RMi 750
MSI X99A SLI PLUS
Intel 6800k
Corsair H100I V2
64GB DDR4 2400 Corsair (will expand to 128 soon to accommodate Cisco VIRL and few virtual servers)
MSI 1060 6gb
Intel 600p 512GB NVMe
Corsair Commander Mini (for system fans)

Works awesome, except for the audio and a slight delay on startup.

1. audio is not working: when the pc is on the realtek drivers keep detecting a audio jack that is removed and plugged in from the front pannel. i disconnected the cable from the motherboard and that obviously stopped the issue. However the rear jacks are not working either. when speakers are plugged in all you can hear is white noise. this happens with or without drivers installed and even after a fresh install. i'm starting to think is a faulty MB.

2. when the pc is turned on there is a 10-15 seconds delay before the bios logo is even displayed.
not a big issue, but kinda defeats the purpose of NVMe storage for fast boot.

Just checking with ya'll folks before i open an RMA.

Is there anything in the cabling that could mess up audio that way?

thanks in advance.
Paolo

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
1. Make sure the default playback is set to the Realtek (right click on volume icon in tray - Playback devices - Right click on Realtek High Definition Audio and select properties. Make sure everything there looks good. You can also do this through the Realtek speaker icon in the same area if you installed the MSI audio driver/suite. A defective cable can cause audio issues, but since you unplugged it and still aren't hearing sound through the back ports, that isn't the issue. Since this is your first post here, I also have to ask if you are sure you have speakers and front-audio cable plugged in to the correct spots?

2. The delay could be related to a MSI BIOS issue with the Intel 600p drive. There was another user here about a week ago having slow performance, and MSI pulled several BIOS updates from their site to work on the issue. I'm not sure if they have fixed it or not yet.

https://forums.anandtech.com/threads/intel-600p-running-slow-help-please.2488555/

Paolor

Oct 25, 2016
Hi,
Thanks for your reply mate.
yep i tried playing around with the win/realtek audio setup with no luck.
i tried all the back audio ports with no luck.

I followed the manual of the board as to what internal header to use for the front one, but when i first heard that white noise i just unplugged it.
I left it unplugged since, and now i'm focusing on the rear audio ports, to take out a bad cable from the equation.

The audio is not working, but whats strange is a constant white noise coming from the speakers/headphones (tried a few, in all the ports at the back).
this is present even if i have no drivers installed and/or the audio card is disabled from device manager.
seems a bit like an interference on the channel.

i'll look into the SSD issue, but i had excellent performance from the SSD while in OS from Crystal Disk Mark, but i found out that 15/20 sec post is quite normal for x99 boards (or some of them)

any other ideas?

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
For the long POST issue you could look into a possible bios update, or try looking in BIOS to see if there is fast boot option. As for the sound did you install the latest drivers from MSI website? Also, what windows are you using? I assume it is win10 UEFI for the boot, so you could try disabling legacy support as well to speed up the boot time.

Paolor

Oct 25, 2016
Thanks,
i'll try to play with the bios a bit even though i was hoping to leave the config as default as possible since i prefer stability over performance.
Yep, windows 10 64 bit.
i did update the bios to the latest version already unfortunately. i noticed intel 600p are not in the MB official support list, however this issue is really minor as the pc will be used as a server and nor restarted often.

I work for an IT company but mainly deal with system engineering. A co-worker advised to dismantle the pc and try to build it on a non conductive surface.
he reckons it looks like a short between MB and the case.

i opened a support ticket with MSI but i'm not used to consumer grade SLAs, LOL!

I'll give that a go and see, but if anybody has further ideas do not hesitate.

Thanks!

Paolor

Oct 25, 2016
just wanted to update,
i wen't on and disassembled the pc, tried to run it on the MB box instead of the case.
still same issue.
Opened an RMA ticket with the supplier, i will ask to replace it with a different model, most likely an Asus X99-A II.
Any advice for a worthy replacement?
I'm interested in functionality rather than appearance, i'm specifically building the rig to be dark and silent so not interested in fancy lighting.

Thanks again for the help

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
That Asus board is probably as good as any in that price range. There are several members here who have it, and who have recommended it in previous LGA2011-v3 threads .

deustroop

Golden Member
Dec 12, 2010
Asus delivers the board with a post that is quite aggressive which has spooked some owners . It is not a long process, like you have experienced, about 5 seconds, but Asus spools up the fans, and I suspect other components, for about 3 seconds , then they quiet down and the single beep starts the bootup.