Audio cutting out - not hardware problem!

Hatter106

Feb 26, 2004
Ever since I installed my new GeForce, my audio has been cutting in and out.
Thing is, it's not simply a problem with the speakers. When the audio cuts out in, say, Winamp, the song will actually pause itself, it won't just keep going. I have to stop and re-start the song to hear it again... the speakers make a slight "pop" sound when I do that. Although it doesn't help much, since the audio cuts out anywhere from 5 seconds to a few minutes later.

This is also an irritant when watching videos, as I have to stop and re-start them too.

My audio card is integrated into my motherboard, and I've tried a couple of different speaker systems, with the same problems. So I'm guessing it's a software problem.

Since the problem started when I installed the new video card, I tried uninstalling the video driver. Although afterwards when I restarted, it automatically detected the card and re-installed it, same as before.

I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the audio drivers that came with the PC - no luck. I uninstalled the driver and re-installed the audio system as a generic audio device - no luck.

What the heck should I do? I don't want to have to do anything drastic like format or re-install Windows. But I wish I knew how to fix this.

johnjkr1

Platinum Member
Jan 10, 2003
You might want to list what motherboard you have. Also, have you tried installing the newest audio drivers?

vietofmars

Nov 20, 2001
IDE drivers? Don't know how they could be messed up, but I've seen that happen with old ide drivers (sound cutting out and stuff). Get the latest VIA 4 in 1's or whatever your mobo is.

Or you can try doing system restore.

Hatter106

Feb 26, 2004
Well, according to the box, my motherboard is ECS Elitegroup, P6VXM2, with a VIA694X &686B chipset. Don't know if that helps...

And I tried downloading new drivers, none of them worked, just made the problem worse.

stnicralisk

Golden Member
Jan 18, 2004
VIA is legendary for having problems. My sister has the same problem. She had to go into the hardware list and disable sound from her geforce (maybe yours has a sound port as well).