Audio connection to stereo receiver

Discussion in 'Home Theater PCs' started by nhatminh61, Sep 14, 2017.

1. nhatminh61

nhatminh61 Junior Member

Hello everyboby!:)

In reading HTPC guides I have seen mention of bit-streaming audio over hdmi. Am I correct in that this essentially means connecting your HTPC via HDMI to a stereo receiver and letting the stereo receiver do the conversion of the audio signal to the correct format?

If yes, then how about if you wanted/needed to connect your HTPC to a stereo receiver via optical? Do you lose that bit-streaming capability?

2. Loading...

Similar Threads - Audio connection stereo Forum Date
    I'm not getting HD audio anymore - nVidia drivers Home Theater PCs Dec 7, 2016
    Utility to change default audio track? Home Theater PCs Feb 5, 2016
    Xbox One HDMI in audio delay Home Theater PCs Dec 29, 2015
    Similar Windows/Linux software to AirServer to (Mira)cast Android phone audio to PC? Home Theater PCs Dec 14, 2015
    Audio connection to stereo receiver Home Theater PCs Feb 24, 2014

3. SMOGZINN

SMOGZINN Diamond Member

Bitstreaming means sending an encoded digital signal to the sound system. The system (in this case a receiver) decodes it and turns it into a analog signal to send to the speakers. You should be able to do this over digital optical out. HDMI is a better choice if you can support it. You would pass the HDMI to your receiver, and then the receiver to the TV. The receiver will pull the audio out of the signal and pass the video on to the TV.

Edit: Changed some wording to make what I was saying a little clearer.