Audio but black screen - Any insight on fixing?

slayer202

Lifer
Nov 27, 2005
Quote from a friend:
"When the TV is off, the whole screen is black. When we turn the TV on, the screen is black except for a small area (size of a hand print) in the lower right corner. This is the location where the TV was "squeezed" during transport. The hand basically damaged the screen in exactly that area. Repair service quoted me $1,400 to swap out the screen."

Is this the screen or an internal component? It's an 82" samsung, un82nu8000. I'm not having much luck even finding parts, let alone knowing what the problem is. Anyone have any idea?

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
The parts are likely all in the panel meaning the only external parts are the input ports, the power supply, and speakers. Modern Samsung TVs simply plug these into some circuit boards that come with the panel. I had a Samsung TV with a bad panel get replaced under warranty and they took the plastic back off, popped some clips off, unplugged some wires from the circuit boards and lifted the panel out. Getting a new panel is like getting a whole new TV.

slayer202

Lifer
Nov 27, 2005
So very expensive I assume. And not something I could do myself because of lack of a place to actually buy a new panel

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
So very expensive I assume. And not something I could do myself because of lack of a place to actually buy a new panel

You can find replacement panels for some TVs but the cost is pretty high when you do source them. To the point that buying a new tv is a better option.

Reactions: slayer202

Alamat

Apr 30, 2003
I had kind of a similar issue with a 50" Panny. Power is there but screen is black. I suppose you have researched online on the issue. For mine, it turns out I needed to replace 2 boards which I did myself. Cost me less than $200 and it has been working fine since.

Reactions: slayer202