Audio Book club, what are you listening to?

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
I used to be a prolific reader but fell away from it a few years ago. I discovered the wonderful world of Audible books a few weeks ago and i love it. I read Red Storm Rising many years ago while stationed in Germany in the military and it was riveting and being our prime mission in Germany was to fight the Russians it hit home on how it might go down. sad to say in the book my base was vaporized by the dirty commies.. :mad: The audible RSR book is narrated by a master. he really pulls you into the story.

anyway, i need another. Hunt for Red October is another great book but im not sure i want to spend my token on one ive read and a movie has been made. RSR could never be made into a 2 hour movie there is way to many stories to tell. Maybe a 20 part mini series like band of brothers.

ive never read the Net-op or Splinter Cell series. are they worth a token?

uclaLabrat

Diamond Member
Aug 2, 2007
Go through the whole jack Ryan series, start with "without remorse". They're excellent up through bear and the dragon, and they all are part of the same story arc. Go to the Jack Ryan wiki to see the chronological order. Sum of all fears is probably best, but I've read them all multiple times.

Ironically I kinda started that way, I like HfRO as a kid, and sum of all fears was a good movie too, so I read the book and kept going.

Reactions: OutHouse

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Patriot Games or Without Remorse would be great places to start. They're probably the most accessible.

Then perhaps Hunt for Red October. The last couple he did were pretty bad (catering to action junkies and people who get off on patriotism). I've always ignored all the co-authored and world of type stuff.

Fifty Shades of Red White & Blue.

That is actually a fairly accurate representation of the last few. Just utter shit.

Viper GTS

dasherHampton

Platinum Member
Jan 19, 2018
I wish I could recommend some but I've only read three as far as I can recall, and Hunt for Red October was by FAR the best one of the bunch.

Here are some other books that are quite different from the movie that I imagine might be fun to listen to if you only know the film:

The Running Man
Children of Men
Jurassic Park
The Natural (Once you read the book you realize how ridiculous the movie really is)
The Razor's Edge

Thebobo

Lifer
Jun 19, 2006
I just finished Dan brown's Origins on audiobook. If you like AI, Quantum computers, church intrigue and the biggest secret known to man that could shake civilization to its core if revealed, its your book. Really enjoyed it.

Depending on where you live most public libraries subscribe to free services for their patrons to DL audio books, E books and even videos. As an example my county library has these two services, you can see whats on them. All you need is a library card.

Maryland's Digital eLibrary Consortium (Overdrive)

RBdigital

GagHalfrunt

Lifer
Apr 19, 2001
Wild Card response: Little know fact, even though Clancy got the only writing credit Red Storm Rising was co-written by Larry Bond and some of Bond's books are closer in style to RSR than Clancy's Jack Ryan books are. Try Red Phoenix, Cauldron and Vortex.

Thebobo

Lifer
Jun 19, 2006
I wish I could recommend some but I've only read three as far as I can recall, and Hunt for Red October was by FAR the best one of the bunch.

Here are some other books that are quite different from the movie that I imagine might be fun to listen to if you only know the film:

The Running Man
Children of Men
Jurassic Park
The Natural (Once you read the book you realize how ridiculous the movie really is)
The Razor's Edge

My brother bought me the hard copy of Jurassic park and I read it one day, first and last book I ever did that with, great book.

boomerang

Lifer
Jun 19, 2000
My favorite reads lately are the Harry Hole series by Jo Nesbo. Even more I like the Gabriel Allon series by Daniel Silva. I've got 9 of 17 left to read in the Allon series and 3 of 11 left in the HH series.

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
I just finished Dan brown's Origins on audiobook. If you like AI, Quantum computers, church intrigue and the biggest secret known to man that could shake civilization to its core if revealed, its your book. Really enjoyed it.

thanks for the suggestion. i just finished this book today and it was outstanding.

Reactions: Thebobo

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000

sounds like he wrote the same book yet again

urvile

Golden Member
Aug 3, 2017
Without Remorse is awesome and probably my favourite Clancy novel. John Clark FTW!

Also liked Clear and Present Danger, Patriot Games and The Hunt for Red October. :)

Going OT I also enjoyed Under Siege by Stephen Coonts and The Chinaman by Stephen Leather

EDIT: Also the Sum of All Fears which has a very different antagonist compared to the film. I would also recommend the the Arkady Renko novels by Martin Cruz Smith.

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
Without Remorse is awesome and probably my favourite Clancy novel. John Clark FTW!

Also liked Clear and Present Danger, Patriot Games and The Hunt for Red October. :)

Going OT I also enjoyed Under Siege by Stephen Coonts and The Chinaman by Stephen Leather

EDIT: Also the Sum of All Fears which has a very different antagonist compared to the film. I would also recommend the the Arkady Renko novels by Martin Cruz Smith.

yea Without Remorse and Rainbow 6 are great books as well. The narrator for these two books is the same guy and does a good job EXCEPT for doing womens voices.

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
I just finished series of "We are legion, We are Bob" written by Dennis E. Taylor. I loved this story. the narrator does a very good job in passing off as all the different bob personalities.

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
We do have a "what are you reading?" thread already, which I consider includes audiobooks, FYI.

I'm listening to Finest Years: Churchill as Warlord. Max Hastings is awesome; I hope to read his entire works someday.

I was listening to the Song of Ice and Fire series but took a break after finishing the second to last book, so I gotta finish the last one at some point (I've read them a couple times already). And I have 11 credits on Audible, woot! I'm slowly picking books; so far I have in my cart:

- Gang Leader for a Day (Sudhir Venkatesh)
- The Shallows - What the Internet is Doing to Our Brains (Nicholas Carr)
- Alien: River of Pain (Christopher Golden, Dirk Maggs) I've listened to the first one, "Out of the Shadows," and enjoyed it
- Bad Blood - Secrets and Lies in a Silicon Valley Startup (John Carreyrou)
- A Life in Parts (Bryan Cranston) autobiography; lookin forward to this one

Thebobo

Lifer
Jun 19, 2006
Up to the about half way through the seventh book of Persepolis Rising (The Expanse.) All these from my local library downloads. Great series be interesting to see how Amazon handles some of it. The 8th book inst out so I'll be dry for a yearish when I finish this :(