Audigy install probs on a SOYO 7V Dragon+ and Win2k and GeForce3 Ti200

robertwf

Feb 11, 2002
I am configuring a new system and am unable to install the drivers for my Audigy Gamer Card. The system is as follows:
Soyo K7V-Dragon+
LeadTek GeForce3 Ti200
Win 2k with service pack 2
Creative Labs Audigy Gamer Soundcard (in PCI slot 5)
No other cards installed

After I finish the soundcard installation and I reboot the machine, I get error messages that the sound card drivers were not properly installed, "invalid data". I have uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers. I have gotten a new install CDROM for the Audigy. No changes. Can someone please give me some idea of how to solve this or if I should just choose a different sound card.
thanks
Robert

Boonesmi

Lifer
Feb 19, 2001
have you tried downloading the newest win2k drivers?

by the way do you have all the onboard sound stuff turned off in the bios?

robertwf

Feb 11, 2002
Well, I have installed win2k service pack 2. Is that what you mean?
Yes, I did disable the onboard sound in the bios for the motherboard.

thanks,
Robert

Boonesmi

Lifer
Feb 19, 2001
sorry i wasnt clear :) i mean have you downloaded the newest audigy drivers for win2k

robertwf

Feb 11, 2002

<< sorry i wasnt clear :) i mean have you downloaded the newest audigy drivers for win2k >>

Well, I have downloaded them, but you can't install them unless you have already installed the drivers that originally came with the card, ha...ha..ha (funny how creative labs would do that). Which is the very thing I cannot do at this point.

Robert

Boonesmi

Lifer
Feb 19, 2001

you dont need to load the drivers from the cd before you can load downloaded drivers

for that matter you dont want to load the drivers from the cd at all, just use the newest downloaded ones

robertwf

Feb 11, 2002

<< you dont need to load the drivers from the cd before you can load downloaded drivers

for that matter you dont want to load the drivers from the cd at all, just use the newest downloaded ones
>>

Well, please clarify then, cause I downloaded new drivers yesterday and when I tried to install them, I did get something that said that the original drivers needed to be loaded first. I don'r remember the details though. Let me make things clear from my side too. This is a completely brand new system and the Audigy Gamer is the first and only sound card. Onboard sound has been disabled. The only other card in the system is the LeadTek GeForce3 Ti200.

thanks for your exchange,
Robert

Boonesmi

Lifer
Feb 19, 2001
ive never used an audigy card, but all of creative labs other sound cards can be installed with just the downloaded drivers

if what you say is accurate then that sucks :D

just curious what file did you download? this link goes to the files for the audigy gamer in win2k... the first one listed "AUDRVWDM.EXE" is the one you should use... if thats the same file you already tried then sorry im no help to you :)

robertwf

Feb 11, 2002

<< ive never used an audigy card, but all of creative labs other sound cards can be installed with just the downloaded drivers

if what you say is accurate then that sucks :D

just curious what file did you download? this link goes to the files for the audigy gamer in win2k... the first one listed "AUDRVWDM.EXE" is the one you should use... if thats the same file you already tried then sorry im no help to you :)
>>

Yes that was the link I got driver updates from. I did try some other things and got further sorta...
I went to a different hard drive and did a clean install with a different graphics card and the audigy.
It worked sorta, but the sound card and my usb stuff both took IRQ 11. Then I swapped in the
GeForce3 Ti200 card and it installed too, also taking IRQ 11. I installed the newer drivers for Via (4in1) and
for the sound card, but still everyone is congregating at IRQ11....
Anyway, the person I am building this for decided he wants Windows XP instead of 2000. So I am
gonna try that beginning tonite, but I saw threads elsewhere that said that the same thing could occur
on XP.

thanks for your time,
Robert

reformat

Feb 10, 2002
I don't know how much help I can be, becuase it has been a while, but I own two of the Audigy cards. (one platinum, one MP3), first of make sure you download the latest version of windows installer, I used INSTMSI versiom 12.0.2600.1, but I was running ME, wouldn't install you original versions shipping with Windows. You also must have color set to 256 or higher to initiate splash screen. That is another curve by Creative Labs, original Sound blaster had to be installed before video, now audigy requires video first. But try to load only the drivers from the cd, go back and load all the other crap later after you get a good install. I had a lot of problems with the install program hanging after you get to the restart Windows screen, and also at the 97% complete stage. This was all on a Gigabyte GA7ZX-1 with a Creative Labs GEFORCE 2, I upgraded to a Shuttle AK31A and Radeon 8500 and did a format C and reinstalled the Audigy with no problem. The second Audigy I tried to Install on an Intel 810E motherboard, absolutely no way, but that same card went into a FIC AZ11EA motherboard with the above mentioned GEFORCE 2 as smooth as silk. Installation is just plain flaky. The Audigy also wont do High Heat baseball 2001 or 2002, repeats every word 10,000 times, and none of the fixes listed at the websites work. "IF" you can get a good install, its a very nice card, and further driver updates are smooth. The only other thing is that where the manual mentions to hit "CANCEL" when windows auto detetects and want to search for drivers, do it, or you might as well start over, and remove the card through device mananger before you do. And do not under any circumstances try moving it to another PCI slot without first removing it through device manager, that's a can of worms you do not want to get into.

robertwf

Feb 11, 2002

well, I finally got it installed. I reloaded windows with the Audigy card and a PCI graphics card. Then I loaded the
latest VIA 4-in1 drivers and the latest Audigy drivers. Then I exchanged the PCI graphics card for my GeForce3 Ti200
AGP card and everything is now installed.
thanks for the help and suggestions
Robert