Audigy 2 ZS problems...please help

randomguy12

Feb 2, 2006
Ok, I recently got an Audigy 2 ZS card, along w/ the Logitech z-5500 serries speaker set, and for some reason the card(im asuming) keeps freezing my PC. The only game I really play is World of Warcraft, so i'm unable to determin if it does it with other games as well. But anyway, my entire computer will just lock up when im playing, and I will have to turn it off, then back on again. It doesn't just lock up instantly though, it will make some crackling, then freeze, and make high pitch sounds. It will also blue screen, and say its something to do with either the hardware, or the software. Also, the WinXp error report sender, says that it's something to do with the device drivers, but thats it. It doesn't happen at random times, it only seems to happen as the day progresses, usually happening later-late at night. So i'm not sure if it's a heat problem or what. Also usiing a PCI-e GForce 6600, so I moved the card down to the last PCI slot in order to free up some more air space. That didn't seem to help either. I sent Creative a tech support e-mail, and they send me to a website to DL some new drivers....that didn't work. Any ideas? Heat, or something else? The temp isnt really that high...the intermitten fan kicks on every once and a while, but thats about it. So im not sure what it is.

YOyoYOhowsDAjello

Moderator<br>A/V & Home Theater<br>Elite member
Aug 6, 2001
Welcome to AT.

Are you sure it's the soundcard that's the issue?

You could try disabling sound and seeing if the problem goes away just to make sure that's the problem.

pohl

Apr 19, 2005
Wow, I have the same sound card (Platinum), same speakers (bought them last week), and same video card (GT). No problems at all... you didnt had the problem before installing the sound card? If that would be the problem, you might need to download the latest patch. Installing Creative's software is a bit tricky...

randomguy12

Feb 2, 2006
Well, I'm almost dead positive it's the soundcard, or something related to it. There was no problems prior to the ZS. I first ran onboard audio(Realteck AC97), but the game sound popped a lot in the speakers, so I switched to my old Creative 2.1 soundblaster card, and that worked just fine, so I would imagine its the card...

PS- My system(if it matters), is an e-Machine, t6524 w/ AMD 3500+, 1G ram, ZS card, GForce vid. OS is WinXP media center edition w/ SP2...

And yes, I downloaded the fresh driver update from creative's website, just released on Jan 24th I belive, so thats why im thinking it could be heat related? I dunno...

imported_boe

Dec 4, 2005
I saw something that may or may not be related. The fix seemed to be replacing the video card even though it appeared to be the sound card.

Things I would do just to play it safe - (even though they have little to do with your sound card -sometimes things arent what they seem)
Make sure the onboard sound is disabled in your bios
Update the bios on the motherboard
Download the latest drivers for your video card
Remove your current video drivers - use the utility - reboot and run the install - don't let it auto install the drivers
check to make sure your computer has adequate power (350 mininum - depends on your stuff)
Make sure your system is adequately cooled and gets enough air
Use the latest sound drivers - just came out about a week ago
Make sure your game has the latest patch
Try changing audio settings - e.g. HD on/off

randomguy12

Feb 2, 2006
I did disable the onboard, plus deleted it off my HD. I got the newest soundcard drivers as well. I dont see how it would be related to the video card, but I guess I could check for new drivers on that. The intermiten fan comes on ever once and a while, so that means the syst temp is running about 55c if i'm not mistaken...

jeno111

Jan 28, 2006
I got the exact same problem. It has to be a sound card issue. I get the blue screen of death also.
I uninstalled the chipset drivers, display drivers, checked to see if onboard audio was disabled in the bios.
uninstalled audigy 2 ZS drivers, and reinstalled chipset(6.70), display and latest creative audigy2 ZS drivers.

still get bluescreen.

any ideas ?

shuould I revert to the previous chipset drivers ? (6.65)