Audigy 2 - General Setup Question

gizbug

Platinum Member
May 14, 2001
2,621
0
76
Just put an Audigy 2 in my system, downloaded the latest drivers from creative. I put the MAD decoder in winamp, set it for 24 bit sound sample.

Anyone suggest any other things I may need to change from default or tweak for optimum sound and performance?

 

IIIBradIII

Senior member
Mar 30, 2000
283
0
0
Ooooo what's this about a 24bit decoder for Winamp? I just got a Audigy2 too but I'm just using the default DS output. Linky? :D
 

jaeger66

Banned
Jan 1, 2001
3,852
0
0
Originally posted by: gizbug


Anyone suggest any other things I may need to change from default or tweak for optimum sound and performance?

Use foobar2000 instead of Winamp for best sound. The interface is a little...rough, but you can wrestle it into usability. The main benefit is that is can bypass the Audigy's rather craptacular resampler.
 

jaeger66

Banned
Jan 1, 2001
3,852
0
0
Originally posted by: IIIBradIII
Ooooo what's this about a 24bit decoder for Winamp? I just got a Audigy2 too but I'm just using the default DS output. Linky? :D

The DS out is an output plugin, pretty crappy. The best output plugin for WA is the ASIO one. The MAD decoder is an input plugin, and it's the best one for WA.
 

Brian48

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 1999
3,410
0
0
This is ripped from an old thread over at 3dsoundsurge.com

For Audigy2 owners:

1. Install supplied MAD Plug-in for Winamp.

2. Extract suppied out_wave.zip. Either extract out_wave.zip to C:\Program Files\Winamp\Plugins OR drag, copy and replace contents from extracted out_wave.zip over to the Winamp Plugins folder.

3. For MAD Plug-in, go to options->preferences->input and double click Nullsoft MPEG Audio Decoder and delete whatever is in File Extension eg. MP3;MP2;MP1. Double click the MAD plug-in, set it to the recommended settings eg. for Audigy, Audigy2 and Extigy, set to 24bit.

4. For out_wave, go to options->preferences->output and double click on waveOut output SSRC and set bit rate options eg. Audigy, Audigy2 and Extigy to 48000Hz/24bit.

5.Enjoy!

The only thing I have to add regarding the above is that you can also set it to 96000hz/24bits as well.
 

IIIBradIII

Senior member
Mar 30, 2000
283
0
0
Originally posted by: Brian48
This is ripped from an old thread over at 3dsoundsurge.com

For Audigy2 owners:

1. Install supplied MAD Plug-in for Winamp.

2. Extract suppied out_wave.zip. Either extract out_wave.zip to C:\Program Files\Winamp\Plugins OR drag, copy and replace contents from extracted out_wave.zip over to the Winamp Plugins folder.

3. For MAD Plug-in, go to options->preferences->input and double click Nullsoft MPEG Audio Decoder and delete whatever is in File Extension eg. MP3;MP2;MP1. Double click the MAD plug-in, set it to the recommended settings eg. for Audigy, Audigy2 and Extigy, set to 24bit.

4. For out_wave, go to options->preferences->output and double click on waveOut output SSRC and set bit rate options eg. Audigy, Audigy2 and Extigy to 48000Hz/24bit.

5.Enjoy!

The only thing I have to add regarding the above is that you can also set it to 96000hz/24bits as well.

OMG thanks! This is honestly the best sound I've heard yet. I just bought a Sony digital receiver the other day for this setup and had been disappointed with the sound - I spent so much I had expected better. Apparently it was my own fault though for not configuring WA correctly. After following those instructions I almost can't believe my ears. Thanks again! << sits back in chair and enjoys Evanescence the way it's meant to be heard >> :D

 

jaeger66

Banned
Jan 1, 2001
3,852
0
0
Originally posted by: Brian48


The only thing I have to add regarding the above is that you can also set it to 96000hz/24bits as well.

Just a note: Do NOT use 24/96 if you have an original Audigy.
 

gizbug

Platinum Member
May 14, 2001
2,621
0
76
Tell me more about this out_wave.zip and the benefits of ti over with default in winamp?
BTW i use DFX for winamp also
 

jaeger66

Banned
Jan 1, 2001
3,852
0
0
Originally posted by: gizbug
Tell me more about this out_wave.zip and the benefits of ti over with default in winamp?
BTW i use DFX for winamp also

The preferred output method is kernel streaming, which is what ASIO does or can also be used just by itself. The benefit is that is bypasses Windows kmixer, which mangles whatever goes into it. The other 2 choices are wave out and dsound out. Most people will tell you wave out sounds better, and I agree. Dsound seems to strip off a layer of detail.

How you access these various modes depends on player-for example if you want kernel streaming in WA you need an ASIO output plugin. foobar2000 supports KS natively, and thus does not require a card with ASIO support.
 

Zoinks

Senior member
Oct 11, 1999
826
0
76
Wait a minute, the MAD website says "This is a MAD input plug-in for Winamp 2". What should you use for Winamp 3?

Also, whats better "2. Extract suppied out_wave.zip. Either extract out_wave.zip to C:\Program Files\Winamp\Plugins OR drag, copy and replace contents from extracted out_wave.zip over to the Winamp Plugins folder. " or an ASIO plugin and where can you find the ASIO one?
 

pillage2001

Lifer
Sep 18, 2000
14,038
1
81
Originally posted by: Zoinks
Wait a minute, the MAD website says "This is a MAD input plug-in for Winamp 2". What should you use for Winamp 3?

Also, whats better "2. Extract suppied out_wave.zip. Either extract out_wave.zip to C:\Program Files\Winamp\Plugins OR drag, copy and replace contents from extracted out_wave.zip over to the Winamp Plugins folder. " or an ASIO plugin and where can you find the ASIO one?

I was wondering too. Works for Winamp3??
 

pillage2001

Lifer
Sep 18, 2000
14,038
1
81
It seems that when I use the MAD plug in, I cannot use the eq and adjusting the volume will adjust the wave volume on my properties too. Don't like it. It gets too loud at 5%. :( Anyway to avoid this?? I just want to adjust the volume on winamp and not adjust the master and wave volume under the window properties. :(
 

jaeger66

Banned
Jan 1, 2001
3,852
0
0
Originally posted by: pillage2001
It seems that when I use the MAD plug in, I cannot use the eq and adjusting the volume will adjust the wave volume on my properties too. Don't like it. It gets too loud at 5%. :( Anyway to avoid this?? I just want to adjust the volume on winamp and not adjust the master and wave volume under the window properties. :(

That has nothing to do woth MAD, it means you're using the wave out plugin. In the config for the plugin there should be a setting to reset the volume to original on stop. That will solve the issue.