Auburn losses and now looks like Texas will lose, if RU isn't in the top 5 . . .

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

JasonCoder

Golden Member
Feb 23, 2005
Originally posted by: Mill
Originally posted by: JasonCoder
Originally posted by: Fingolfin269
Originally posted by: Wreckem
OSU vs. Michigan national title would be freaking stupid. It's only possible in those conferences that don't have the nerve to have a conference championship game. :p

We need a playoff. Its as simple as that. if DI-AA , DII, and DIII have playoffs, then why doesnt the granddaddy of collge football DI-A have a playoff?

The only reason I can think of is cash. People say it will cheapen the regular season but I don't buy that. You still have to win games to make the playoff. If regular season didn't matter then the ratings for the Indy/NE game the other night in the NFL would have sucked (and they didnt).

They also say that the players need to study! That's a crock. Look at the road trips the basketball teams make DURING THE WEEK in basketball season. Baseball teams do the same thing.

We need an 8 team playoff with 6 major conference champions and 2 wild cards seeded based on the current ranking system. It would solve everything.

I used to think this way but I came around to liking the BCS. Reason: The whole dang season is one big playoff. One loss and you're probably done.

If OSU vs. UM are the two best teams in the country come the final BCS rankings then it's not stupid. The human pollsters could correct it but if Florida and USC lose and Ark drops one on the way to the SEC champ game then it's probably a given. Because ND got clocked at home by the team from that state up north.

No, the whole season is not one big playoff because teams don't play the same quality opponents.

True if you're scheduling the sisters of the poor. Act like men and schedule competitive games, I say.

SP33Demon

Lifer
Jun 22, 2001
Originally posted by: wyvrn
Originally posted by: sash1
Rutgers is not a top 10 team. The BCS might disagree this week because of all the upsets, but even if they go undefeated, they do not deserve to play in the national championship.

Why not? If they beat a good WV and Louisville team that were both top ten at the time, and they are undefeated, what would be the reasoning to keep them out?

There SoS and the computers. We are more likely to see a OSU vs Michigan remath than were are an OSU/Michigan vs Rutgers NC game.
If RU beats WVU in Morgantown they have a good shot to get in the NC game (I give them a 30% chance of winning at Mountaineer Field). Also depends on what UF, Ark, and USC do for the rest of the year. The best case scenario would be for Cal to spoil USC's hopes and then have USC beat ND again. I think it's pretty obvious UF doesn't belong, Arkansas will make a good case though.

Fingolfin269

Lifer
Feb 28, 2003
OSU vs. Michigan national title would be freaking stupid. It's only possible in those conferences that don't have the nerve to have a conference championship game. :p

We need a playoff. Its as simple as that. if DI-AA , DII, and DIII have playoffs, then why doesnt the granddaddy of collge football DI-A have a playoff?

The only reason I can think of is cash. People say it will cheapen the regular season but I don't buy that. You still have to win games to make the playoff. If regular season didn't matter then the ratings for the Indy/NE game the other night in the NFL would have sucked (and they didnt).

They also say that the players need to study! That's a crock. Look at the road trips the basketball teams make DURING THE WEEK in basketball season. Baseball teams do the same thing.

We need an 8 team playoff with 6 major conference champions and 2 wild cards seeded based on the current ranking system. It would solve everything.

I used to think this way but I came around to liking the BCS. Reason: The whole dang season is one big playoff. One loss and you're probably done.

If OSU vs. UM are the two best teams in the country come the final BCS rankings then it's not stupid. The human pollsters could correct it but if Florida and USC lose and Ark drops one on the way to the SEC champ game then it's probably a given. Because ND got clocked at home by the team from that state up north.

No, the whole season is not one big playoff because teams don't play the same quality opponents.

Exactly. If every team in the country played the exact some schedule then we could correctly identify the good teams from the bad. However, you cannot get a true feel of how good a team is under the current system because the quality of play from conference to conference varies from year to year.

Are OSU and Michigan really that good or is the Big 10 down this year? Are there really that many good SEC teams or are they beating up on each other because the teams are not that good?

The only answer to this question under the current system is one based on OPINION. It is stupid. :p

erub

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2000
March Madness FTW!

Demon Deacons are goin all the way this year :p

A&Ms bastketball team is ranked higher(13) than their football team(unranked), and they havent even played a game.

Wow, always good to get some respect from the local Techie. After yesterday I'm ready for some Billy G ball

sciencewhiz

Diamond Member
Jun 30, 2000

There [rutgers] SoS and the computers. We are more likely to see a OSU vs Michigan remath than were are an OSU/Michigan vs Rutgers NC game.

Can you stop saying that without any supporting evidence. Rutgers is #2 in the Sagarin computer and will be #2 in Colley when it comes out as well. Their Computer ratings are as good as or better then any of the 1 loss teams. Just because you think they have a poor SOS doesn't make it true.

LikeLinus

Lifer
Jul 25, 2001
Originally posted by: sciencewhiz

There [rutgers] SoS and the computers. We are more likely to see a OSU vs Michigan remath than were are an OSU/Michigan vs Rutgers NC game.

Can you stop saying that without any supporting evidence. Rutgers is #2 in the Sagarin computer and will be #2 in Colley when it comes out as well. Their Computer ratings are as good as or better then any of the 1 loss teams. Just because you think they have a poor SOS doesn't make it true.

Their #2 ranking has more to do with being undefeated than anything else.

"Their Computer ratings are as good as or better then any of the 1 loss teams."

Well DUH! They are undefeated - their ranking is going to be better than a 1 loss team!

Ultimately though, the pollsters (not some computer) realize that while they are a decent team, they can't beat a powerhouse like OSU/Michigan/Florida and the likes. They've played ONE ranked team and was losing for most of that game and won by 3. Their other games are cupcakes.

sash1

Diamond Member
Jul 20, 2001
Originally posted by: SP33Demon
Originally posted by: wyvrn
Rutgers is not a top 10 team. The BCS might disagree this week because of all the upsets, but even if they go undefeated, they do not deserve to play in the national championship.

Why not? If they beat a good WV and Louisville team that were both top ten at the time, and they are undefeated, what would be the reasoning to keep them out?

There SoS and the computers. We are more likely to see a OSU vs Michigan remath than were are an OSU/Michigan vs Rutgers NC game.
If RU beats WVU in Morgantown they have a good shot to get in the NC game (I give them a 30% chance of winning at Mountaineer Field). Also depends on what UF, Ark, and USC do for the rest of the year. The best case scenario would be for Cal to spoil USC's hopes and then have USC beat ND again. I think it's pretty obvious UF doesn't belong, Arkansas will make a good case though.

as a WVU fan, i'm surprised you're giving them any chance at beating the Mountaineers :p if RU somehow beats WVU, they might have a shot. WVU is, IMO, the best in the Big East and i think Pat White and Slaton are gonna run all over rutgers on december 2nd.

Juno

Lifer
Jul 3, 2004
to be honest, rutgers should be ranked higher than ND.

take a look, rutgers dominated the navy game 33-0 and ruined navy's dual-threat qb's knee that ended his career.
a week later, ND beated navy, 38-14 with navy's backup qb playing.

oh boy, rankings just got updated and rutgers is ranked 8th behind WVU. i must disagree on that! :|

tfinch2

Lifer
Feb 3, 2004
My BCS predictions.

OSU
Michigan
Florida
USC
Notre Dame
Arkansas
Rutgers
LSU

USC will pass Florida, next week if they win, however, if Arkansas and Florida win out, and Florida beats Arkansas in the SEC Championship game, Florida would jump back over USC.

My prediction is USC loses to Cal, beats ND.

Florida loses to the Hogs.

OSU vs Michigan remath for the NCCA Championship game.

What about Wisconsin? They lost to Michigan by 14, and have drilled everyone else.

HendrixFan

Diamond Member
Oct 18, 2001
My BCS predictions.

OSU
Michigan
Florida
USC
Notre Dame
Arkansas
Rutgers
LSU

USC will pass Florida, next week if they win, however, if Arkansas and Florida win out, and Florida beats Arkansas in the SEC Championship game, Florida would jump back over USC.

This can't happen. The Big12 is guaranteed a BCS spot for their champion, who will still likely be Texas. The ACC will also have their automatic bid for their champion (Wake Forest?). The SEC will get one automatic bid, but I seriously doubt they will get two at large bids, certainly not when the Big10 looks so good and will certainly get an at alrge bid.

erub

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2000
Originally posted by: HendrixFan
My BCS predictions.

OSU
Michigan
Florida
USC
Notre Dame
Arkansas
Rutgers
LSU

This can't happen. The Big12 is guaranteed a BCS spot for their champion, who will still likely be Texas. The ACC will also have their automatic bid for their champion (Wake Forest?). The SEC will get one automatic bid, but I seriously doubt they will get two at large bids, certainly not when the Big10 looks so good and will certainly get an at alrge bid.

he also only picked 8 of the 10 teams that will be in the BCS, I gues leaving out the ACC and Big 12 champ..will one more loss by someone move Boise State into the top 12, ahead of the ACC champ, giving them an automatic bid, and taking away another at-large spot? Also, each league can only have a max of 2 teams in the BCS, so Wisconsin and LSU fans, sorry.

JasonCoder

Golden Member
Feb 23, 2005

Exactly. If every team in the country played the exact some schedule then we could correctly identify the good teams from the bad. However, you cannot get a true feel of how good a team is under the current system because the quality of play from conference to conference varies from year to year.

Are OSU and Michigan really that good or is the Big 10 down this year? Are there really that many good SEC teams or are they beating up on each other because the teams are not that good?

The only answer to this question under the current system is one based on OPINION. It is stupid. :p

That's pretty harsh. IMO the system ain't all that bad as it takes 2/3 human and 1/3 computers. That way it's not all political and at the same time it's not reliant on some funky algorithm.

SP33Demon

Lifer
Jun 22, 2001
Originally posted by: LikeLinus
Originally posted by: sciencewhiz

Their #2 ranking has more to do with being undefeated than anything else.

"Their Computer ratings are as good as or better then any of the 1 loss teams."

Well DUH! They are undefeated - their ranking is going to be better than a 1 loss team!

Ultimately though, the pollsters (not some computer) realize that while they are a decent team, they can't beat a powerhouse like OSU/Michigan/Florida and the likes. They've played ONE ranked team and was losing for most of that game and won by 3. Their other games are cupcakes.
Just because you're undefeated doesn't mean your "ranking" will be better than 1 loss teams. ND and USC are ahead of RU in the new poll, and look at Boise St. And calling UFlorida a "powerhouse" and saying that RU couldn't beat them shows you don't watch much college football (this year anyway). Even Louisville would wipe the floor with Florida. Just leave the rankings/SoS to Sagarin and you'll be ok. :laugh:

Feldenak

Lifer
Jan 31, 2003
If Arkansas wins out, I would send them to the NCG. They're scary good and McFadden deserves to have some Heisman hype. He should be a frontrunner for next year's Heisman too.

SP33Demon

Lifer
Jun 22, 2001
Originally posted by: Feldenak
If Arkansas wins out, I would send them to the NCG. They're scary good and McFadden deserves to have some Heisman hype. He should be a frontrunner for next year's Heisman too.
Yeah I think McFadden will always be a Heisman candidate even though I saw him fumble in the red zone last Sat. I also think Slaton from WVU will be considered as well, the only times he fumbled was when he played with a sprained right wrist vs Louisville and now needs surgery in the offseason to repair (he still had over 2 60 yard runs on Saturday).
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/f...~r/rss/si_ncaaf/~3/46852005/index.html

Both run the 40 in 4.3-4.4 range and can break a TD at anytime in the game with their speed. McFadden has about 20lb (325) more strength than Slaton (305) but Slaton has a 6 inch higher vertical (38 vs 32). Both are phenomenal/electrifying athletes who were track stars in high school.