Attractive/safe/cheap way to raise a midtower case 1/2"?

voodoo7817

Oct 22, 2006
I recently got a Fractal Design Define R4 and it looks great. I'm still waiting on a 4790k to finish the build, so while I'm waiting I'm thinking about how to best cool the case. I've read that one way to improve air flow while limiting noise is to add a bottom intake fan with good static pressure while also slightly raising the case to ensure there is fresh air available. I've been searching for a attractive/safe/cheap solution but I can't seem to find something that is attractive (namely black) or safe (not too tall so the case would fall over), let alone cheap.

For those who don't know what the bottom of the case looks like, here's a pic:
img_1675.jpg
The front feet are larger than the back feet so I'm using the front feet as my guide. They have approximately a 2" diameter.

So, I was thinking something like this would work really well, http://www.amazon.com/Shepherd-Hardw...2957049&sr=1-3, but it's brown rather than black. I spent a good deal of time looking for a black version of these before making this post but I'd be more than happy to find out I just did a poor searching job and it's easily available from some retailer.

Ultimately, I will probably be fine without raising the case at all, but I wanted to know if anyone has had any success doing that with a Define R4 or similar case. Thanks in advance.

voodoo7817

Oct 22, 2006
Thanks to you both! I should be able to find something from one of those two sites, or at least I'll have a few more search terms to help.

And I agree the Anodized aluminum looks very nice; I just didn't want to go with brown rubber.

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
I've posted my own solution some few times in the past. It's not for everyone: It requires a $5 drill-tap kit from Sears for 6-32 screws, a couple flat aluminum bars from the local metal store, and some precision drilling.

I put 2.5" double-caster wheels with brakes on my case bottom, allowing airflow through the bottom vents, and providing "mobility." There's a place in the Midwest you can find online: Lawless Hardware. They sell various sizes and kinds of wheels in sets of four, and cost me about $15 to $20 per computer-case.

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Just use one of Those circular cutout saws and cutout some circular pieces on a 2x4 or other board, sand it and paint
it black and Maybe apply some rubber pads.

Last edited:

monkeydelmagico

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2011
1/2 inch is not very much. I bet you could unscrew the current feet, add a couple washers, and put it back together.

voodoo7817

Oct 22, 2006
An update: I sent Fractal Design this same question and they responded in about the best way possible. They are sending me an extra set of feet for free to use as the 'spacers.' I did not ask for them to send me anything (I suggested that I'd buy them) and they actually said they tested the modification and that it will be "able to support close to 200 lbs of pressure per foot of downward pressure, and doesn't tip without significant force." Needless to say, I'm a happy camper.

In a world full of bad customer service, I have to tip my hat to them.

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
An update: I sent Fractal Design this same question and they responded in about the best way possible. They are sending me an extra set of feet for free to use as the 'spacers.' I did not ask for them to send me anything (I suggested that I'd buy them) and they actually said they tested the modification and that it will be "able to support close to 200 lbs of pressure per foot of downward pressure, and doesn't tip without significant force." Needless to say, I'm a happy camper.

I'd guess you'd want some slightly longer 6-32 hex screws . . . Easy to find, even as a slotted round-head . . . .

Zardnok

Sep 21, 2004

Excellent to hear Fractal taking care of their customers. I have been a Corsair fan for a while, but may try a Fractal for my next build.

voodoo7817

Oct 22, 2006
Thanks again to everyone who offered solutions. I don't have access to a workshop (small NYC apartment) so some of the more creative and 'handy' solutions just weren't possible. But again, thanks!

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
Thanks again to everyone who offered solutions. I don't have access to a workshop (small NYC apartment) so some of the more creative and 'handy' solutions just weren't possible. But again, thanks!

I can especially understand that. I had a small condominium unit and wanted to do woodworking. I moved my bedroom out of the "bedroom" and into the "den" -- which was "another bedroom." Then I built an eight-foot-long workbench . . .

I also remember a friend in Dallas during the '70s. I don't know what his wife said or thought, but he was a gun-enthusiast who had to custom-load all his shotgun shells. The workbench -- was in the "living room." I never thought about his apartment-management or what they might have thought had they known that he was keeping gunpowder in his apartment.

Even so, you wouldn't need a workbench or workshop to do the caster-wheel mod. Just the $5 drill/screw-tap kit, a hacksaw, drill and other minor tools . . . . After that -- a vacuum cleaner.

DSF

Diamond Member
Oct 6, 2007
Mine sits right on a carpet and I don't have any temp or sound issues with a basic gaming enthusiast system, just for your peace of mind.

That's really cool that they offered to do that for you...I just might have to contact them. I don't love the fact that mine sits right on the carpet even though it's not really causing problems.

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
yyd8bEL.jpg

Erasers, super glue, black marker.

Clever! An inspiration of genius! I suppose I'd use the large light-brown gum erasers: they're bigger, they'll present a square surface to the floor.

I can even imaging gluing them together in groups of four . . . Truth is, you could just as easily lay the bigger erasers down flat in four spots, and put the computer on them . . .

I still prefer my caster-wheels solution. My only firsthand knowledge derives from CoolerMaster's provision of similar (smaller) wheels with my Stacker midtower -- which, in fact, gave me the idea. That is, some case-makers thought wheels would be a good idea. So did I . . .