Attorney General orders Justice Department to not defend Muslim Ban Executive Order

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
Judges all over the country are issuing various injunctions against it so those must be some mighty big straws.

I think we can both agree that it's nice to see this going down in flames, right?
It was a misguided and poorly implemented EO, but I suspect as usual with Trump, it was always meant to be a distraction.

I am starting to think Trump is a fan of Churchill's strategy of battles on the periphery. Cause the opposition to overextend their lines fighting on multiple fronts, with the expectation that you will lose on some of them.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
It was a misguided and poorly implemented EO, but I suspect as usual with Trump, it was always meant to be a distraction.

I am starting to think Trump is a fan of Churchill's strategy of battles on the periphery. Cause the opposition to overextend their lines fighting on multiple fronts, with the expectation that you will lose on some of them.

It serving as a distraction would imply he's using this time to slip something else past people, but I see no evidence of this.

Instead of him playing twelve dimensional chess isn't it more likely that he's just lazy and incompetent?

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
It serving as a distraction would imply he's using this time to slip something else past people, but I see no evidence of this.

Instead of him playing twelve dimensional chess isn't it more likely that he's just lazy and incompetent?
Yes, we've already established he is a lazy fascist and a poo poo head. I just looked up the latest judge rulings. Andre Birotte Jr of California, another Obama appointee.

While three federal judges does add some weight behind your assertions, as you previously stated, Presidents appoint judges reflective of their interpretation of law. Three Obama appointees ruling against Trump has an undeniable political element to it, kind of like how conservatives seek home field advantage by bringing cases in front of right leaning judges.

I will have renewed faith in the system if a non-Obama appointee rules against Trump. Also the rulings to date only apply to those already holding valid visas. It seems refugees and asylum seekers are SOL, and I expect these ruling will have little applicability to the issuing of new visas from the nations stated in the EO.

agent00f

Lifer
Jun 9, 2016
Yes, we've already established he is a lazy fascist and a poo poo head. I just looked up the latest judge rulings. Andre Birotte Jr of California, another Obama appointee.

While three federal judges does add some weight behind your assertions, as you previously stated, Presidents appoint judges reflective of their interpretation of law. Three Obama appointees ruling against Trump has an undeniable political element to it, kind of like how conservatives seek home field advantage by bringing cases in front of right leaning judges.

I will have renewed faith in the system if a non-Obama appointee rules against Trump. Also the rulings to date only apply to those already holding valid visas. It seems refugees and asylum seekers are SOL, and I expect these ruling will have little applicability to the issuing of new visas from the nations stated in the EO.

Did you check if they're hispanic, too?

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

Instead of trying to undermine the judiciary further, why not address my post? If this is a distraction then what is it a distraction from?

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
Instead of trying to undermine the judiciary further, why not address my post? If this is a distraction then what is it a distraction from?
Pointing out the fact that Obama appointed judges are the ones opposing Trump doesn't undermine the judiciary. Only the judiciary can undermine itself, and only if it puts party before country.

What is Trump distracting from? Who knows. What I do know is that he is incredibly effective at creating so much noise that our attention deficit society cannot sustain focus on where to attack him.

Look at how the right took down Clinton. Sustained pressure on one or two issues that called into question her judgment and ethics.

Contrast that with Trump. He is a misogynist, racist, xenophobic member of some global conspiracy of oligarchs, and oh by the way he is also a puppet of Putin. That is too broad of a target. Pick one issue and bury him with it.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Pointing out the fact that Obama appointed judges are the ones opposing Trump doesn't undermine the judiciary. Only the judiciary can undermine itself, and only if it puts party before country.

Untrue, people baselessly saying that rulings are less legitimate because they came from an Obama appointee undermines the judiciary.

It's incredibly irresponsible and you should stop.

What is Trump distracting from? Who knows. What I do know is that he is incredibly effective at creating so much noise that our attention deficit society cannot sustain focus on where to attack him.

Look at how the right took down Clinton. Sustained pressure on one or two issues that called into question her judgment and ethics.

Contrast that with Trump. He is a misogynist, racist, xenophobic member of some global conspiracy of oligarchs, and oh by the way he is also a puppet of Putin. That is too broad of a target. Pick one issue and bury him with it.

So your answer is nothing? This is not a very good argument.

PokerGuy

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
lol , so shocking that multiple obummer appointees would try to torpedo legitimate eo's. Lets see an actual impartial court look at the issue and then draw conclusions.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
lol , so shocking that multiple obummer appointees would try to torpedo legitimate eo's. Lets see an actual impartial court look at the issue and then draw conclusions.

Can you define what an 'actual impartial court' would be? Be specific.

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
Untrue, people baselessly saying that rulings are less legitimate because they came from an Obama appointee undermines the judiciary.

It's incredibly irresponsible and you should stop.

So your answer is nothing? This is not a very good argument.
It is not an argument, it is an opinion, and mine is no better or worst than yours.

If my meager opinion is capable of undermining the judiciary, we have bigger problems as a nation. It is not my fault that you don't care for the facts as presented.

PokerGuy

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
Can you define what an 'actual impartial court' would be? Be specific.

Sadly, I'm not sure that even exists in today's climate. In most cases you can pretty much tell exactly what the court rulings are going to be simply by knowing party affiliation of the judge(s). I'd like to see a ruling by a court with a mix of judges appointed by different presidents. If the ruling breaks down exactly by party line then you know it's simply a political issue and not a legal one. If not, then it might be an actual legal ruling.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000

Just a heads up Starbuck, you sound just like this idiot. Is that what you were going for?

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Sadly, I'm not sure that even exists in today's climate. In most cases you can pretty much tell exactly what the court rulings are going to be simply by knowing party affiliation of the judge(s). I'd like to see a ruling by a court with a mix of judges appointed by different presidents. If the ruling breaks down exactly by party line then you know it's simply a political issue and not a legal one. If not, then it might be an actual legal ruling.

lol. 'I'll wait to hear a ruling from an impartial court that I'm not sure exists'.

You can't make this shit up.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
It is not an argument, it is an opinion, and mine is no better or worst than yours.

The idea that all opinions are equally valid is a really dangerous one and it's definitely not true. Opinions are either better supported or more poorly supported and this directly relates to how credible they are. When you say that Trump's actions here are meant to distract us from something that we would presumably be paying more attention to otherwise and then can't even identify what that would be that strongly indicates your opinion is a poor one.

If my meager opinion is capable of undermining the judiciary, we have bigger problems as a nation. It is not my fault that you don't care for the facts as presented.

The judiciary relies almost entirely on the public's perception that it is a fair arbiter of disputes so yes, opinions are absolutely able to undermine the judiciary.

PokerGuy

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
One that rules in favor of PokerGuy's ideas all the time.

Nope, plenty of legitimate courts come up with plenty of rulings I don't like. Nothing wrong with that. Pretending the political affiliation of judges doesn't play any role is just patently stupid. As I said, you can most often tell what a ruling is going to be on a lot of issues simply based on the political affiliation of the judge(s). If that's true, politics plays a major role rather than just the legal case.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Nope, plenty of legitimate courts come up with plenty of rulings I don't like. Nothing wrong with that. Pretending the political affiliation of judges doesn't play any role is just patently stupid. As I said, you can most often tell what a ruling is going to be on a lot of issues simply based on the political affiliation of the judge(s). If that's true, politics plays a major role rather than just the legal case.

So wait, one post ago you weren't sure if they exist and now you think there are plenty of them?

You realize when you write things down people can read them later, right?

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
The idea that all opinions are equally valid is a really dangerous one and it's definitely not true. Opinions are either better supported or more poorly supported and this directly relates to how credible they are. When you say that Trump's actions here are meant to distract us from something that we would presumably be paying more attention to otherwise and then can't even identify what that would be that strongly indicates your opinion is a poor one.

The judiciary relies almost entirely on the public's perception that it is a fair arbiter of disputes so yes, opinions are absolutely able to undermine the judiciary.
Then perhaps the judiciary should deviate from ruling along party lines, and that criticism is not exclusive to any one political party.

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
Just a heads up Starbuck, you sound just like this idiot. Is that what you were going for?
I do not show disrespect to President Obama by calling him names, so no.

You are an objective, data driven person. So far, we have three prominent rulings against Trump from three Obama appointees. Objectively, is it beyond a reasonable doubt that some level of partisanship factored into their rulings. Objectively and as an observation, is it not plausible or worthy of addressing or discussing.

Or are we just going to dismiss facts because we don't like what the facts say. That is what climate change deniers do. In making your argument, you sound like those idiots. Is that what you were going for?