Attn. Wesley - HSF Review recommendations

Spanki

Mar 11, 2007
Nice reviews Wesley. Here's some things to consider for future HSF reviews...

1. There's a few coolers I'd love to see in your on-going list.. EnzoTech Ultra X, AeroCool Dominator, CoolerMaster Hyper Tx.

2. Tests performed inside some popular case (maybe an Antec P180). The reason is two-fold...

2a. Airflow environment - most of your audience probably has their motherboard mounted inside a case, not sitting out on thier desk or some open-air test-station. Some coolers may perform quite differently in a live environment.

2b. Operational Characteristics - many manufacturers of these heat-pipe units have a recommended orientation for the unit (maybe they used gravity-feed pipes? maybe the wick-feed pipes are gravity assisted?) At any rate, I'd like to KNOW if there's some cooling difference when the case is turned upright (tower design) vs. horizontal (test-bed, desktop).

3. Somewhat related to both 1 and 2 above, I'd like more info on the cooling (or heating, as the case may be) affect on things like the memory and MOSFETs (while mounted inside a case) with some top-fan design units thrown into the mix. Does blowing down over the mb help, or hurt? (down-blowing would tend to work against the nearby case fans that are trying to get air out of the box, and may be blowing HOT air down onto the mb, for example).

4. Clearance and fit issues on various popular motherboards.

...obviously it's a lot more hassle for the reviewer to install the mb into some case for each set of tests, but it would help answer some of the questions above. Might be a good basis for an article just to address these issues - you could maybe just test the top 2 or 3 Flat-Tower designs, the top 2 or 3 Box-Tower designs (these typically have pipes running in two directions), a couple of Top-Fan designs and maybe throw in a Zalman Tunnel design for good measure.

Thanks.

avi85

Apr 24, 2006
Originally posted by: Spanki
Nice reviews Wesley. Here's some things to consider for future HSF reviews...

1. There's a few coolers I'd love to see in your on-going list.. EnzoTech Ultra X, AeroCool Dominator, CoolerMaster Hyper Tx.

2. Tests performed inside some popular case (maybe an Antec P180). The reason is two-fold...

2a. Airflow environment - most of your audience probably has their motherboard mounted inside a case, not sitting out on thier desk or some open-air test-station. Some coolers may perform quite differently in a live environment.

2b. Operational Characteristics - many manufacturers of these heat-pipe units have a recommended orientation for the unit (maybe they used gravity-feed pipes? maybe the wick-feed pipes are gravity assisted?) At any rate, I'd like to KNOW if there's some cooling difference when the case is turned upright (tower design) vs. horizontal (test-bed, desktop).

3. Somewhat related to both 1 and 2 above, I'd like more info on the cooling (or heating, as the case may be) affect on things like the memory and MOSFETs (while mounted inside a case) with some top-fan design units thrown into the mix. Does blowing down over the mb help, or hurt? (down-blowing would tend to work against the nearby case fans that are trying to get air out of the box, and may be blowing HOT air down onto the mb, for example).

4. Clearance and fit issues on various popular motherboards.

...obviously it's a lot more hassle for the reviewer to install the mb into some case for each set of tests, but it would help answer some of the questions above. Might be a good basis for an article just to address these issues - you could maybe just test the top 2 or 3 Flat-Tower designs, the top 2 or 3 Box-Tower designs (these typically have pipes running in two directions), a couple of Top-Fan designs and maybe throw in a Zalman Tunnel design for good measure.

Thanks.

some very good points, I especially agree with 2b

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
i highly doubt he will change any of his methodology for you.

He has to follow a list and protocal to make a accurate comparison with previous models.

Also, this is another reason why he refuses to use core temp programs like everest, speedfan, and coretemp.

They do take the temp at the die with a IR thermo, but we all know its more accurate to messure temps with coretemp.

:T

Hulk

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
2b is a very good point.

They may not change their methodology for 1 person but if 50 or 60 people respond positively to this thread then maybe they will.

OP - Thanks for taking the time to make the recommendations!

kalrith

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2005
Originally posted by: Hulk
2b is a very good point.

They may not change their methodology for 1 person but if 50 or 60 people respond positively to this thread then maybe they will.

OP - Thanks for taking the time to make the recommendations!

I agree and third the recommendation for implementing 2b.

Spanki

Mar 11, 2007
Originally posted by: aigomorla
i highly doubt he will change any of his methodology for you.

Nor would I expect them to change them for just me :)...

Originally posted by: aigomorlaHe has to follow a list and protocal to make a accurate comparison with previous models.

Right.. which is why I suggested a separate article, that used consistent (but different from the usual) testing for that article.

HeatMiser

Mar 17, 2002

On page 4 of Noctua test, Wesley says this: "All cooling tests are run with the components mounted in a standard mid-tower case. The idle and stress temperature tests are run with the case closed and standing as it would in most home setups." My guess is that he is just showing us pictures of what the thing looks like in a case, then closing it and standing it up for tests. If he isn't doing that, then I would agree, we should see all of these cooler reviews in common use situation (although there are some people out their with UFOs or cubes who will have a vertically mounted cooler).

Spanki

Mar 11, 2007
Originally posted by: HeatMiser

On page 4 of Noctua test, Wesley says this: "All cooling tests are run with the components mounted in a standard mid-tower case. The idle and stress temperature tests are run with the case closed and standing as it would in most home setups." My guess is that he is just showing us pictures of what the thing looks like in a case, then closing it and standing it up for tests. If he isn't doing that, then I would agree, we should see all of these cooler reviews in common use situation (although there are some people out their with UFOs or cubes who will have a vertically mounted cooler).

Good point - thanks. I read that review, but I either skipped over that or it just got lost in my head when I was writing the above post.