ATTN: Cat lovers, introducing another cat in to the home?

Saulbadguy

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2003
We adopted a second cat yesterday. We brought her home and put her in a half bathroom we have with a litterbox, food and water, and she seems to be adjusting fine, she is very social and loves to be around people.

However, when the existing cat saw her, he was not too happy. Right now we have a towel under the door so they can't see each other, only hear and smell. New cat seems to be doing very well adjusting to her new place, she is very calm and sociable, not timid at all.

I'm just wondering how long you think it will take for existing cat to not be hostile around new cat? New cat is a female, 2 years old, existing cat is a male, 1 1/2 years old. I'm thinking of taking the towel away tonight or tomorrow so they can kind of see each other under the door, but I think existing cat will just sit there and hiss all night.

GenHoth

Platinum Member
Jul 5, 2007
Put the food/water dish next to the door so they get used to each others smell

bonkers325

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
let them interact with each other first, then go from there. if there is fighting going on, then separate them with some sort of barrier until they get use to each other's scent.

alien42

Lifer
Nov 28, 2004
they may never get along. i had two female cats that always disliked each other.

MichaelD

Lifer
Jan 16, 2001
1. Setup video camera in room
2. Feed cats some catnip
3. Put both in the same room
4. Hilarity ensues
5. ???
6. Profit!

torpid

Lifer
Sep 14, 2003
It can take hours, days, weeks, or even months in some cases. Switch the rooms up and be sure to give both cats attention. Feeding them on both sides of the door and other smell adjustment things helps. And feliway helps a lot too.

I don't recommend just putting them together and seeing without waiting several days at least. A poor interaction between them can take longer to undo.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Just do it slowly. If they can smell/hear each other that is good.

current cat will eventually get curious and you could introduce them for short periods of time. eventually they'll get along.

maybe some playtime with both of them.

Lounatik

Golden Member
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: Turin39789
pour juice from cans of tuna on the new cat

Mmmm, sweet juices.

Whenever I brought another cat or two into my home, I would keep them separated until they were used to each others smell.Which seems to be what you are doing. Eventually bring them together. They will hiss and make a scene, but they will get over it. I have done this a half dozen tims and it always worked out.

Peace

Lounatik

FP

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2005
Yeah, switch them in and out of the rooms. Let the new cat explore without fearing the other cat.

Another very useful trick is to pet the new cat with a towel and then pet the old cat with the same towel... Then reverse it. It transfers their scents to each other and will get them acclimated quicker.

Linflas

Lifer
Jan 30, 2001
Slow is best. The last thing you want to do with a male cat is to have him get territorial and start spraying the walls and any other vertical surfaces.

AnitaPeterson

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2001
Cats are very different than dogs, due to their lack of pack mentality. They are solitary hunters. Unlike dogs, cats can't become alpha male or female by subduing he rivals; instead, although they can and will learn to tolerate each other, eat from the same bowl etc., they will also fight more or less seriously at various times, and either one can come on top, until next time.

Don't give the new cat complete dominion over the house, to the detriment of the older cat. Cats a re REALLY jealous. Once the accommodation period is over (no more than a couple of days!!!) let them both roam free around the premises.

Gillbot

Lifer
Jan 11, 2001
Originally posted by: MichaelD
1. Setup video camera in room
2. Feed cats some catnip
3. Put both in the same room
4. Hilarity ensues
5. ???
6. Profit!

7. Mike Vick!

Kelemvor

Lifer
May 23, 2002
Normally you will take one room or two and keep the new cat in there and leave the rest of the house for the existing cat. Each should have their own food, water, litter, etc. After a day (or two) of them both getting settled in, swap them so the exiting cat is not in the room where the new cats smells are and the new cat is in the other part. Give them another day or so and you can swap them every so often.

Then finally when they both seem OK, you can introduce them slowly. Be with them in case one freaks out. Or if you have a gate you can put up so they can see each other but not get involved in a fight or anything, you can do that too.

Normally it's OK but depends on each individual cat.

Good luck.