ATTENTION RESTAURANTS! Butter does not need refrigeration.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
This is how it went down.
I made some cookies and I didn’t realize I had two sticks in the freezer. New unsalted box goes into the freezer.
I use all but a tablespoon or two of the unsalted butter.
She uses that unsalted butter the next morning.
I pick up proper salted butter, she continues to use the unsalted.
Later during the week she takes a stick of unsalted butter out of the freezer.

She had a weird aversion to salt but it was mostly fixed by some bloodwork she had done and being low on iodine(?). Doctor recommended she have more salt.
1) Movie reference
2) Freezing butter?!?

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Used to work in a bakery. Fun fact; I considered doing it professionally. Glad I didn't.

Reactions: Kaido

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
I must be a psychopath because I only buy unsalted butter. Tastes just fine on toast to me.

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
If the Mustang is a sports car then my Mercedes C-class cabriolet must also, by definition, be a sports car. ;) Yes, I've actually had this conversation with a guy I know. He doesn't think my car is a sports car.

Big engine? Check.

Looks cool? Check.

I'd say it's a sports car!

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
If you need butter at a restaurant, then you are not eating at good restaurants. Sufficient butter should be cooked inside the food to begin with.

Bread? Toast? Bagels? Pancakes? Baked potatoes?

Compound butter on a steak? Honey butter on dinner rolls? Parmesan butter on crostini? Garlic butter on bruschetta? Whipped butter on French bread?

1599780480102.png

1599780514403.png

1599780532485.png

Feb 4, 2009

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
i'm kinda on the fence here. Butter can happily last for [much longer than you think it can] in normal room temp, but, i prefer chilled butter to eat, AND to spread. It may be harder to spread it, but i prefer the flvour/texture of cold butter than room-temp.

In cooking, there is a substantial difference in how cold or warm butters behave.

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
Butter should be kept cold so it does combust like it did in the great butter fire of 1999.....it killed lots of people.

Feb 4, 2009
i'm kinda on the fence here. Butter can happily last for [much longer than you think it can] in normal room temp, but, i prefer chilled butter to eat, AND to spread. It may be harder to spread it, but i prefer the flvour/texture of cold butter than room-temp.

In cooking, there is a substantial difference in how cold or warm butters behave.

Well said

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
Bread? Toast? Bagels? Pancakes? Baked potatoes?

Compound butter on a steak? Honey butter on dinner rolls? Parmesan butter on crostini? Garlic butter on bruschetta? Whipped butter on French bread?
If you are eating at a good restaurant, that should all be there already. No butter should need to be added by the customer.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
You know how hot kitchens are? If they left butter out they'd be pouring your butter onto your table.

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
lol you try telling food inspectors that you can leave butter outside the fridge.

Butter is not classified as a refrigerated food to health inspectors. It can be kept out. However, this is only true of REAL butter that is around 80% butterfat. Crappy American butter tends to have a lot of milk solids in it that can get a sour taste if left out for too long. I tend to use only Irish or French butter (or make my own...it's very easy if you have a stand mixer or a food processor).

To make your own butter:
- add 2 cups of heavy cream (make sure it's pure cream, with no additives) to a mixer or food processor.
- whip at medium speed for 5-7 minutes
- You'll see the transformation- it'll turn to whipped cream, then the water will start to break from the fat, it'll clump, and poof- you have butter!
- Separate the butter from the liquid (which is buttermilk- make pancakes!). Rinse the butter well with with cold water.
- Season with salt, or add garlic, herbs, lemon, whatever you want for a compound butter
- Form into a ball and wrap it with a cloth. Twist the cloth to squeeze out any remaining water.

There you go! You now have about $5 worth of French butter :)

Reactions: Kaido