Attempts to recreate Titanic failure FAILS.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Haha I saw earlier today that they were "delayed at sea". I'm guessing this is why. Not as bad as I thought, at least it's not a mechanical problem. They should just give the person some gravol and move on. Kinda silly to go to that extent.

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
You don't know the half of it...

Titanic1912-2012.jpg

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
First of all a huge ship like the Titanic does not pitch and roll in rough seas like a much smaller ship would. So no problems with sea sickness.

Second of all, rough seas were a non factor on the night the Titanic hit the iceberg. Instead the problem was a thick fog and calm seas. And strong winds would have simply blown the fog away greatly increasing visibility.

And I recently read that very strongly lunar tides and greatly increased the calving of icebergs in the Titanic chosen course. That and the fact the rivets in the Titanic hull were made of cold short very high sulfur content steel. That plus the fact existing naval regulations failed to require enough lifeboat space for even 50% of the passengers and crew. As any human immersed in water that cold had a life expectancy of only 90 seconds or so due to hypothermia.

Could a replication of the Titanic happen today? I would like to say no, but when you look at the various recent cruise ships accidents, a combination of Murphy's law and idiot ship Captains, its hard to say never.

SilthDraeth

Platinum Member
Oct 28, 2003
Idiotic headline, followed by Lemon Law posting something completely irrelevant to the article.

Read the article. And OP, your headline makes zero sense. You should edit it.

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
I have never gotten seasick while out boating, but I've seen seasick passengers on sportfishing trips that I crewed on that really wish they could die of hypothermia instead of living through the interminable bouts of barfing and dry heaves they were experiencing 25-30 miles out at sea.

Last edited:

davmat787

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2010
First of all a huge ship like the Titanic does not pitch and roll in rough seas like a much smaller ship would. So no problems with sea sickness.

Yes, they can. In fact, there is a phenomenon where a large ship starts rolling and pitching to the point where it sinks, or at least capsizes. There is a youtube video of a cruise ship that is experiencing this. Now, these large cruise ships are designed to minimize pitch/roll as they carry passengers. They can deploy underwater devices (forget name of them at the moment) that are like wings that alleviate the effects to a large degree. Also, they will simply use weather radar to avoid rough weather as much as possible.

I have even seen vids of US carriers pitching what looked like 20-30 feet in rough seas. The seas were angry that day my friend.

FaaR

Golden Member
Dec 28, 2007
Just steer the damn ship so the prow faces the incoming waves... Pitching problem solved.

cave_dweller

Mar 3, 2012
Some folks become seasick by suggestion. They simply convince themselves that being on a ship will make them ill. Those who can forget about it, it's often smooth sailing.

Mega-ships of 100,000-tons or more have stabilizers which are used when needed to provide a smooth ride.

retractable-stabilizer-for-ships-191090.jpg

Two of these are mounted oth sides. These are B+V Prosp. Fin Stabilizer E.

Last edited:

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
Yes, they can. In fact, there is a phenomenon where a large ship starts rolling and pitching to the point where it sinks, or at least capsizes. There is a youtube video of a cruise ship that is experiencing this. Now, these large cruise ships are designed to minimize pitch/roll as they carry passengers. They can deploy underwater devices (forget name of them at the moment) that are like wings that alleviate the effects to a large degree. Also, they will simply use weather radar to avoid rough weather as much as possible.

I have even seen vids of US carriers pitching what looked like 20-30 feet in rough seas. The seas were angry that day my friend.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I said sea sickness was not an issue on the night the Titanic went down after reading the link. Because the night the Titanic went down, it was calm seas and not high seas on the night the Titanic hit the iceberg.

I did not argue that even large ships like the Titanic can't pitch in really rough seas, so your point, is what Daymat and SilthDraeth? As my reading comprehension was this thread was about replicating the exact conditions on the very night when the Titanic hit a iceberg. And not about a totally different time when rough seas could have been prevalent in the same area.

davmat787

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2010
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I said sea sickness was not an issue on the night the Titanic went down after reading the link. Because the night the Titanic went down, it was calm seas and not high seas on the night the Titanic hit the iceberg.

I did not argue that even large ships like the Titanic can't pitch in really rough seas, so your point, is what Daymat and SilthDraeth? As my reading comprehension was this thread was about replicating the exact conditions on the very night when the Titanic hit a iceberg. And not about a totally different time when rough seas could have been prevalent in the same area.

Yes, you did.

Your words verbatim, which I understood you to believe that large ships do not pitch and roll like a much smaller ship would. You said it, not me. Also, see the video I posted above.

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006
Yes, you did.

Your words verbatim, which I understood you to believe that large ships do not pitch and roll like a much smaller ship would. You said it, not me. Also, see the video I posted above.

If Oasis or Allure ever saw rough seas as in the video you posted the ships would have extreme difficulties. The probably wouldn't make it. This is one reason(there are several) why RCL will never send those behemoths to the med. The med is way to unpredictable. In the US/Carib its easy for the cruise liners to avoid seas like that.

Last edited:

cave_dweller

Mar 3, 2012
If Oasis or Allure ever saw rough seas as in the video you posted the ships would have extreme difficulties. The probably wouldn't make it. This is one reason(there are several) why RCL will never send those behemoths to the med. The med is way to unpredictable. In the US/Carib its easy for the cruise liners to avoid seas like that.

The first are a set of fins that stick out of the side of the hull. They simply change their angle of attack just like a plane's stabilizer to counter the roll. They can reduce the ship's roll to essentially nothing.

The second type is a pair of tanks of water with a high-speed pump that pumps water between them to balance the ship against rolling. I've been on this sort of ship, too, and they roll more, but it still takes the bite out of the roll.