Attempt at a raise might be backfiring

PricklyPete

Lifer
Sep 17, 2002
I am underpaid for the job I do (manage a software design team and a web application development team). The reason for being underpaid is that I have been promoted from within and am young (both being crappy policies as I am by far the best person they have had in the position and excel compared to other managers at the same level). The company isn't doing so well lately. For the last two years we have not gotten a raise (although I got a small one last year because my bosses thought I might be leaving...that's my theory as no one else got one).

I went ahead and told my boss on Wednesday that I was underpaid for my responsibilites and I implied that I'm aware of jobs out there for my skills that pay more. He agreed with me and said he was working on it, but his hands are tied.

Well he is trying...unfortunately not in the way I would like. Instead of money, he is doing the following:

1) Taking me, my SO, another manager at my level and her SO to dinner sometime next week.
2) He's putting together "movie lunch" where we get to watch half a movie one day a week...woohoo.

I feel like I'm in "The Office"...except I'm sure those actors get paid more...

Cliffs:
1) I'm underpaid for what I do
2) Asked for Raise
3) Boss instead is taking me and other manager out to dinner and instigating a watching half a movie at lunch one day a week.

Sighhhh.....

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
asking for a raise when the company knowingly isn't doing so well likley wont garnish the results you are looking for.
Regardless, the rest of it sounds pretty damned funny.

PricklyPete

Lifer
Sep 17, 2002
I really am not expecting a raise... and I have been applying to other jobs knowing that I need to move on...but I figured I'd give it a try while I'm still here.

Also, my company has been in the policy that when someone leaves, we don't automatically replace them (whether we fire them or they leave). In order to hire a new person, we have to basically create some huge "case"...I've already had to do this once when one of my key developers left for a new job. Well enough people have left in our department over the last 2 years to where the company is saving well over a half million in salaries in our department alone. This of course makes our jobs even harder then they already were...and we're not getting paid a cent extra (my last promotion was over 2 years ago...so any added responsibility was before any major increase).

PricklyPete

Lifer
Sep 17, 2002
Originally posted by: oldsmoboat
Take a job at another company.
/thread

I've alreayd started sending resumes out...it won't be too long...but I figured I'd have some fun while I was still in here.

PricklyPete

Lifer
Sep 17, 2002
Originally posted by: Mwilding
1/2 a movie? :confused:

Instead of extending our lunch hour to accomodate...we'll just watch half of a movie...I'm assuming we might watch the second half the next week...but who knows.

olds

Elite Member
Mar 3, 2000
Originally posted by: PricklyPete
Originally posted by: oldsmoboat
Take a job at another company.
/thread

I've alreayd started sending resumes out...it won't be too long...but I figured I'd have some fun while I was still in here.

1/2 a movie sounds like torture, not fun. Unless it's a michael moore "movie". Then watching the whole thing would be torture.

DaShen

Lifer
Dec 1, 2000
Originally posted by: Homerboy
asking for a raise when the company knowingly isn't doing so well likley wont garnish the results you are looking for.
Regardless, the rest of it sounds pretty damned funny.

QFT...

Too bad, man. It may be time to move on.

dighn

Lifer
Aug 12, 2001
lmao @ 1/2 a movie a week. if it's not a desperate move on his part, I think it's kind of insulting

PricklyPete

Lifer
Sep 17, 2002
I'll give him credit for trying...I know it isn't easy being a manager who would like to give his workers raises because he thinks they are doing a good job...but can't because of company problems.

PricklyPete

Lifer
Sep 17, 2002
Originally posted by: PingSpike
Originally posted by: suicidalpigeon
lmao@½movie.

LOL...seriously. Was this guy a lazy high school history teacher before he got the job as your boss?

He's actually a pretty good boss overall...at least compared to past bossses...I just don't think he's moving in the right direction on this one...

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
How is this the economies fault you are stupid enough to think the company values you when they dont give you a raise? If I wasnt given a raise that tells me they dont think much of me and it is time to start looking.

If you feel you are underpaid play the field, there is plenty of opportunity.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
I'll give him credit for trying...I know it isn't easy being a manager who would like to give his workers raises because he thinks they are doing a good job...but can't because of company problems.

I wouldnt put a lot of credence in what he says. Managers get bonus's based on productivity vs costs. If he keeps his costs down his bonus is bigger than if they go up. Telling you he will try but his hands are tied may be a nice way for him saying noway.

The half a movie sounds like something you would do to a child. I am assuming you arent a child, well if you arent, then dont take a childs reward for hard work!

PricklyPete

Lifer
Sep 17, 2002
Originally posted by: Genx87
How is this the economies fault you are stupid enough to think the company values you when they dont give you a raise? If I wasnt given a raise that tells me they dont think much of me and it is time to start looking.

If you feel you are underpaid play the field, there is plenty of opportunity.

Thank you captain obvious. I love how people think they are a genius on this board by stating the obvious. I've already stated I'm looking elsewhere and that I think my companies policies suck on trying to save money by not giving any employees raises.

PricklyPete

Lifer
Sep 17, 2002
Originally posted by: Genx87

I wouldnt put a lot of credence in what he says. Managers get bonus's based on productivity vs costs. If he keeps his costs down his bonus is bigger than if they go up. Telling you he will try but his hands are tied may be a nice way for him saying noway.

The half a movie sounds like something you would do to a child. I am assuming you arent a child, well if you arent, then dont take a childs reward for hard work!

I'm quite sure this is not the case with regard to his bonus. I've heard this policy straight out of the CFO's mouth (I work fairly close with accounting).

Stuxnet

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2005
I'm in the same boat as you, OP. I actually RESIGNED about 3 months ago and was told that if I stayed that I would receive the proper title and a 10% raise.

Haven't heard a word about it since.

"If you don't get it going in, you're not going to get it at all."

I've disproven that theory once. Aside from that one anomoly, I've found it to hold quite true.