Attaching Ikea wardrobe to wall

InflatableBuddha

Diamond Member
Jul 5, 2007
I'm going to assemble an Ikea wardrobe tonight. It needs to be secured to the wall so it doesn't tip over, and the manual says that the screws for this are not included, although it looks like the "L" bracket is included.

This beast weighs 100 lbs empty, so I'm guessing the screws should support 150-200 lbs.

It will be screwed directly into the wall, not the moulding. What hardware do I need for this?

TIA.

Kaspian

Golden Member
Aug 30, 2004
Make sure you screw the brackets to the studs. I wouldn't trust those drywall anchors with that much weight.

iamwiz82

Lifer
Jan 10, 2001
Does it rest floor? If so, you can tack it to two studs and I think you'd be fine. A 2 1/2" wood screw will do it. You can use lag bolts if you are feeling saucy.

InflatableBuddha

Diamond Member
Jul 5, 2007
Originally posted by: iamwiz82
Does it rest floor? If so, you can tack it to two studs and I think you'd be fine. A 2 1/2" wood screw will do it. You can use lag bolts if you are feeling saucy.

Woah...sorry, I'm not much of a carpenter/handyperson. Could you explain "tacking it to two studs" or point me somewhere that might explain this?

If I understand your first question, the wardrobe will be sitting on a flat berber (sp?) carpet.

Thanks.

iamwiz82

Lifer
Jan 10, 2001
Use a stud finder to find a stud near the end of each side of the closet, then use screws to mount the closet near the top to those studs.

On the other hand, if Ikea has a suspension rail (like this: http://www.ikeafans.com/FAQIns...ionSuspensionRail.htm) for what you are buying, mount to each stud between, then mount the wardrobe to that. It's a very secure system.

Indolent

Platinum Member
Mar 7, 2003
Originally posted by: Kaspian
Make sure you screw the brackets to the studs. I wouldn't trust those drywall anchors with that much weight.

The screws aren't going to see near that much weight. It's only stopping it from tipping over, it's not holding the thing off of the ground.

buddha, they mean to use wood screws and screw it to a stud (vertically running 2x4's) behind the drywall. You would need a stud finder for this. The other option is to use drywall anchors which would not require you to screw into the studs.

Tsaico

Platinum Member
Oct 21, 2000
Originally posted by: Kaspian

Dry wall anchors are meant for weight pulling down. L brackets will pull out, so I agree with this. Unless you are using the type of anchors that spring out behind the drywal to secure it. Then it should resist enough to prevent any tipping.

As for screw, grab a couple of suitabl size desk screws 2.5 inch or longer, find stud, drill pilot hole, then screw it in.

InflatableBuddha

Diamond Member
Jul 5, 2007
Ahh...so I understand about the studs now. It sounds like the drywall anchors are the way to go since I don't have a stud finder.

Indolent - you're right, I'm only anchoring the wardrobe so it doesn't tip over during an earthquake, so the screws don't need to hold the whole weight.

Thanks for the tips everyone.