Attaching a PIII to a Alpha P3125 (basic questions)

Mattlock

Nov 28, 1999

This my first attempt to put together a CPU/Heatsink and I need some really basic questions answered:

I have a PIII 700 (slot 1) and an Alpha P3125 hSF so here goes:

1) It looks awkward that once I attach the HSF, the point of contact is the L2 Cache (or blue chip) that is sitting on top of the bigger (brown) chip. Is this correct?

2) Does the thermal grease go on just the Cache chip or on both chips? Doesnt make alot of sense to put grease on a chip that does not have contact with the HSF.

3) How tight should the HSF be screwed on?

Anyone know of any good "visual" websites that I can refer too for the PIII/Alpha combo?

thanks for the help.

Mattlock

The_Lurker

Golden Member
Feb 20, 2000
The Alpha isn't supposed to touch the Cache chips, which i might say, the Coppermine P3 700 doesn't have cache chips! The Blue part is the CPU die! and yes, the Alpha is supposed to touch it. Just put a thin layer of greese on the blue thing, and attach it, and if it's level, it's fine!

Spikesoldier

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 2001
1. Obviously you've been horribly misinformed. The "Cache" chip you are referring to is in fact, the core, where the heatsink should be making contact with. The brown chip you are referring to is the packaging.

2. Thermal grease goes on the "Blue" chip, or the core.

3. Pretty Secure.

Mattlock

Nov 28, 1999
Thanks for the info. That's what I needed. Yes, I am a newbie but we all started out "green" at one time or another.

Mattlock

AkumaX

Lifer
Apr 20, 2000
i know what he's talking about; if he had a katmai cpu, you would put t. paste on both the cache and the cpu.. and since the hsf doesnt even come close to touching the off-die cache on the cpu, i had to ghetto-mod it and "pasted" 2 nickels to where it would go on the cpu->cache :D it worked.. p3 450->624..

Spikesoldier

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 2001
No, what he thinks the Cache is (Which is in fact the black chips on either side of the real CPU) is actually the (blue) core.