ATOT Official What do you watch on Youtube? thread (Share yours):

Zeze

Lifer
Mar 4, 2011
Like most of you degenerates, I like off-beat things.

This guy does stealth camping in various locations. I think it scratches lots of itch that kids & adults have regarding spending the night in suburb woods, homedepot parking lot, etc. It's completely casual vs many serious bushcraft camping videos (which are great too).

Bite-sized, well researched, science/current events/philosophy documentaries. These are so good, I believe everyone should watch it in HS.

IGN - gaming & nerd culture news.

Gordon Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmares - the official channel posts full episodes of this discontinued show. google the best episodes of the seasons and watch 'em. As an older, wiser dude - watching this today, it's so overacted at times and Gordon is a baiting goading asshole. It's easy to watch.

Lots of scenic 4K drone shots of Hawaii, or any of the exotic vids are nice to watch just to appreciate my big screen tv. Just search 4k + country of choice.

I like watching random ass documentaries on youtube.. there are lots of good ones too... like what it's like being a submariner, world war 2 docs, etc.

bbhaag

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2011
I have to admit I'm a sucker for LGR and his quirkiness when it comes to taking a look at retro hardware. His vids always seem to align with the tech of my youth so I enjoy them.

Nilered is another one I enjoy but he seems to be posting less and less lately. If you're into "garage science" type stuff his vids are worth watching.

Bright Sun Films and Technology Connections are a couple of others I enjoy watching as well.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
LGR? Never heard of him. Boltr's stuff (AvE) is sensational.

I have been watching a lot of Rick Beato's videos. Music, baby!!!!!!!!!!

I've watched a ton of pandemic videos, recommend Dr. Mike Hansen, whose stuff is semi-pro but accessible, and he's very human for an M.D., knowledgeable, young enough to "get it," and he has a deeply personal sense of humor but sticks to the subject, whatever it is.

I really dig Trevor Noah. I also like A Closer Look, Cohen's political videos cut right to the heart of the matter and don't waste your time.

Music videos! Not really bands performing (but I don't put that down for a second), usually lately documentary stuff. The feature length docs on Linda Ronstadt, Joni Mitchell and Chuck Berry are deep and killer, motivated me to get a MOST of their catalogues on CD.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2012
Matt Risinger: Gives tips and building knowledge for homes. I've had issues with my HVAC, insulation, etc... and it's a complex subject that isn't as simple as "Just buy a big AC". You have to properly size it - plus there is the whole process of house pressure, envelope, etc... Has some decent home understanding videos: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFCTrfb1JUJjs3Im8OZDtBw

Phillip Defranco for random news. Sometimes it leans a bit too much on "Youtuber" related news that I don't give a shit about - but overall it's an informative 10-12 minute daily show of whats going on: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClFSU9_bUb4Rc6OYfTt5SPw

Casually explained for funnies: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCr3cBLTYmIK9kY0F_OdFWFQ

Kurzgesagt for random science related videos: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCsXVk37bltHxD1rDPwtNM8Q

Mark Rober - the guy who made the infamous videos on Porch theif glitter bombs. Does plenty of other fun "do it yourself" type of stuff: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCY1kMZp36IQSyNx_9h4mpCg

Thats about it - other ones I watch are all gaming, politics, tax or legal related so I'll refrain from posting those since I doubt it appeals to this audience.

herm0016

Diamond Member
Feb 26, 2005
I like the machinists / welders
austin ross, ron covell, keith rucker, abom79, steve summers, stefan gotteswinter, oxtool, blondihacks- she is working on a series building a steam engine and boiler. very fun.

homesteading/farming:
millennial farmer, wranglerstar, justin rhodes, white house on the hill, martyT

cars: rich rebuilds, sam crac, cleetus McFarland, legit street cars, matts offroad recovery

matt resinger - bulding science
stanley "dirt monkey" genadak- landscaper
den of tools- tools
sampson boat company - restoring an old wood boat
acorn to arabela - building a new wood boat
investment joy - guy in ohio with lots of rentals and laundermats and carwashes

documentry/science/engineering
plainly difficult, project farm-one of the best things on youtube, ave, smarter every day, strangeparts, bigclivedotcom, tech ingredients, practical engineering

a couple of mine/urban exploring channels
one of them bought a gold mine recently and is starting to work it tvr exploring

Reactions: Muse

Motostu

Oct 5, 2020
I like the machinists / welders
I've gotten into this stuff recently too. I've got a project I'm preparing for, and planning to get a welder soon to work on it, so looking at a lot of welding videos and reviews right now.

cars: rich rebuilds, sam crac, cleetus McFarland, legit street cars, matts offroad recovery

If you haven't, check out Westen Champlin too. While not the most professional, he is fun to watch and has some interesting projects.

I recently picked up an older F250 with a Powerstroke 6.0, so I've been watching a lot of videos to better understand and maintain it. That truck is also the project mentioned above that I need the welder for...

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Aging Wheels
RegularCarReviews
SciShow
Tom Scott
Veritasium
PhysicsGirl
Simone Giertz
The History Guy
Zero Punctuation
I have to admit I'm a sucker for LGR and his quirkiness when it comes to taking a look at retro hardware. His vids always seem to align with the tech of my youth so I enjoy them.

Nilered is another one I enjoy but he seems to be posting less and less lately. If you're into "garage science" type stuff his vids are worth watching.

Bright Sun Films and Technology Connections are a couple of others I enjoy watching as well.
I also watch LGR and Technology Connections :)
Nostalgia Nerd as well, similar-ish to LGR, but British, and GuruLarry's Fact Hunt.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Music videos! Not really bands performing (but I don't put that down for a second), usually lately documentary stuff. The feature length docs on Linda Ronstadt, Joni Mitchell and Chuck Berry are deep and killer, motivated me to get a MOST of their catalogues on CD.
I've got a completely separate account I maintain for watching music videos.
I also have yet another account that I use for regular people playing acoustic covers, so I can play along with them (since in-person acoustic jams have been on hold for over a year, and I can't just... not play). I look for a specific type of them though, I have to be able to see their hands on the guitar so I know what they're playing. So Reina del Cid, Josh Turner, Rainbow Girls... lately I've added a few Yoni Schlesigner ones.

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
I watch a lot of nature stuff. Lately, its been atheist vs christian debates.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I've got a completely separate account I maintain for watching music videos.
I also have yet another account that I use for regular people playing acoustic covers, so I can play along with them (since in-person acoustic jams have been on hold for over a year, and I can't just... not play). I look for a specific type of them though, I have to be able to see their hands on the guitar so I know what they're playing. So Reina del Cid, Josh Turner, Rainbow Girls... lately I've added a few Yoni Schlesigner ones.
So, when you say you have separate accounts, what do you mean? I have no concept of this. Can you explain how you do this? The whys, wherefores, how-tos? Do you have paid accounts or Youtube free? I haven't paid for any Youtube. I have been subscribing to some people's stuff, maybe a dozen now. I get suggestions when I go to Youtube for anything and a lot of that stuff is irresistible, YT is just inexhaustible.

Last edited:

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
So, when you say you have separate accounts, what do you mean? I have no concept of this. Can you explain how you do this? The whys, wherefores, how-tos? Do you have paid accounts or Youtube free? I haven't paid for any Youtube. I have been subscribing to some people's stuff, maybe a dozen now. I get suggestions when I go to Youtube for anything and a lot of that stuff is irresistible, YT is just inexhaustible.
I just sign in with a different Gmail account (and sign out of the other account), a Gmail account is also basically a YouTube account now too.
The "why" is to prevent cross-pollination of suggestions, I put a bit of effort into curating each one by subscribing/liking things, and saying "not interested/don't recommend" on other things, and also sometimes just removing something from my watch history if I notice it's mucking up my suggestions.

All free, I didn't cancel my satellite and Netflix only to end up paying for YouTube :p

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I heard that you can get music lessons on YT, really good stuff. I should get back into guitar, my acoustic is sitting here in my bedroom. I love to sing, used to play guitar, took series of 10 or so lessons back in the late 1960's at The Ash Grove, famous Americana small venue in Hollywood, CA where I saw many legendary bands, performers up close!

The Ashgrove burned down! Here's how I found out:

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
I heard that you can get music lessons on YT, really good stuff. I should get back into guitar, my acoustic is sitting here in my bedroom. I love to sing, used to play guitar, took series of 10 or so lessons back in the late 1960's at The Ash Grove, famous Americana small venue in Hollywood, CA where I saw many legendary bands, performers up close!

The Ashgrove burned down! Here's how I found out:

You definitely can!
He's not the only one, but comes highly-regarded.

bbhaag

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2011
Aging Wheels
RegularCarReviews
SciShow
Tom Scott
Veritasium
PhysicsGirl
Simone Giertz
The History Guy
Zero Punctuation

I also watch LGR and Technology Connections :)
Nostalgia Nerd as well, similar-ish to LGR, but British, and GuruLarry's Fact Hunt.
Cool! It's nice to see other members here that enjoy some of the same interests I do.:)
I watch Nostalgia Nerd as well. He puts out some good content that I like but I've never watched GuruLarry's Fact Hunt. I'll have to check it out.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Cool! It's nice to see other members here that enjoy some of the same interests I do.:)
I watch Nostalgia Nerd as well. He puts out some good content that I like but I've never watched GuruLarry's Fact Hunt. I'll have to check it out.
He's not exactly the same sort of content, mostly does listicles, but generally centered around older games.

Thinking about that made me realized that I forgot The 8-bit Guy/8-bit Keys and Techmoan though.

herm0016

Diamond Member
Feb 26, 2005
If you haven't, check out Westen Champlin too. While not the most professional, he is fun to watch and has some interesting projects.

I recently picked up an older F250 with a Powerstroke 6.0, so I've been watching a lot of videos to better understand and maintain it. That truck is also the project mentioned above that I need the welder for...

meh. i like to see more work and diagnosis, this guy appears to just slap a giant turbo or whatever on stuff and hope for the best. guys like the Cletus McFarland crew seem to actually know what they are doing and achieve things like the fastest stick shift corvette ever. while still doing some funny/crazy stuff. and i have really enjoyed his rebuild of the old race track that they bought.

Reactions: Motostu

Motostu

Oct 5, 2020
meh. i like to see more work and diagnosis, this guy appears to just slap a giant turbo or whatever on stuff and hope for the best. guys like the Cletus McFarland crew seem to actually know what they are doing and achieve things like the fastest stick shift corvette ever. while still doing some funny/crazy stuff. and i have really enjoyed his rebuild of the old race track that they bought.
Agreed on that. I watch him mostly for a laugh here and there, not really gonna learn anything.