++ ATOT official NEF thread part IV ++

Page 7711 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

bigboxes

Lifer
Apr 6, 2002
Yiy8jRN.jpg

bigboxes

Lifer
Apr 6, 2002
I know it's a piece of junk, but the stock cooler was working. Was. I kept getting CPU fan error upon start up while I was upgrading my hard drives. Seems that the CPU fan of the stock cooler needed to be replaced. I still think that I have my never used 4790K stock cooler. It was time to change the cooler. Got me a Noctua NH-U12S-Redux. It's gray instead of black or brown (old school noctua).
dLEt6vyh.jpg

5JcfKmHh.jpg

I 'm pretty sure that I used AS5 back in the day.
tkMfCckh.jpg

A little 91% isopropyl...
c2Unxbeh.jpg

RrT3g55h.jpg

j3c827eh.jpg

WT1BUCih.jpg

2VW7wwHh.jpg

bigboxes

Lifer
Apr 6, 2002
Walmart just delivered a cheap printer to me. I just don't need to print that often. As much as I liked the big office type of printer with its multiple trays, I rarely print since my wife's passing. So, I ordered a cheapo printer. We will see how that goes. Hopefully, I can find generic ink.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I sometimes look at colour laser printers, it would be kind of fun to have, but it's hard to justify. They have come down in price though, you can get a very nice one for under a grand. I remember in high school when the library got a colour laser printer and you basically needed special permission and a valid reason to use it, it was a big purchase for the school at the time. Crazy to think that now I could own one in my house.

bigboxes

Lifer
Apr 6, 2002
I sometimes look at colour laser printers, it would be kind of fun to have, but it's hard to justify. They have come down in price though, you can get a very nice one for under a grand. I remember in high school when the library got a colour laser printer and you basically needed special permission and a valid reason to use it, it was a big purchase for the school at the time. Crazy to think that now I could own one in my house.
moo

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Got solar plugs in bedrooms, office, and also office and spare bedroom closet. Closets were kinda last minute thing, I decided to put one in my office closet so I can stick a Ryobi charger in there, and since the spare room closet is on the other side I figured while I'm there I may as well put one in there too. Easy to pass wire when it's the same stud cavity.

Job was a bit trickier than I anticipated, the wiring boxes were not going in straight, every time I was screwing them in, they would start to shift. They have various buldges and stuff because of how they're made and I suspect that was part of it. Normally you hammer them to the stud but this was being done with drywall so I was screwing in from inside. Ended up just using different boxes but they are wider, so less forgiving with measurements.

All in all it worked out ok in the end, but I need to get some larger plates to cover my over cuts.

3f4pOdR.jpg

LUhzgYr.jpg

ALMOST nailed it. These boxes are typically used with metal covers for surface mounting so there is maybe like 2mm of play between edge of box and edge of plate.

dPGQaNs.jpg

Different outlet with oversize plate (had one handy). Works out ok in the end, so I'll just put the same plates on the other outlets too.

In the end I should have just used old work boxes, they clamp on the drywall from the inside, but I was stuborn and wanted it attached to the stud as I feel it's more secure for plugging/unplugging stuff. They do make skinny boxes that are flat on the sides which would have worked but couldn't seem to find those.

Either way, glad this is done, nice to have some free backup power. The office plug is the one that will get the most use since I will run a space heater off it to get free heat. Also will be good to have backup if working from home and power goes out. I need to run one to the server room too. Solar actually saved my butt the other day since we had a power outage so I switched the server rack to solar. Well, not really solar because it was night, but the solar battery is bigger so there's that.

Power really does not go out all that often here though so this is probably overkill, but better to be prepared than to not be, I guess.