++ ATOT official NEF thread part IV ++

Page 7453 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Nef. One more day shift then I'm off for 2 days.

Asked to go back on mostly days to see if it helps my jaw clenching issue since maybe the night shifts are not helping. Downside of that is way more 8h shifts so less time off. But if it does end up helping that issue then I guess it will be worth it.

Reactions: bigboxes

bigboxes

Lifer
Apr 6, 2002
Told ya. Much easier to install the NH15 mounting brackets before you install the motherboard. The youtube videos seem to be showing how to do this with the mobo already installed in the case. Makes no sense unless you're just changing out the cooler and not doing a new build.

DoxQVYdh.jpg

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
It's always easier to install the cpu and cooler before mounting mb to case. Putting the mb in after cpu and cooler install may be challenging depending on the case though.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Been looking at hardware myself as I want to eventually upgrade my VM server. holy crap epyc is expensive. :eek: Like 8+ grand for a cpu. I don't see very many options under a grand either. Looks like I may need to stick with Intel for my next server build.

Or I chance not having ECC, and go with Ryzen. But problem with that is you need a GPU. So probably end up going Xeon. I found the site https://www.pc-canada.com and they sell server stuff. Memory Express and Canadacomputers don't.

I don't really have any money to build either way though, just fun to look at options. By the time I'm actually ready to build, DDR5 will probably be out and I think that will be ECC even on desktop side so that will make home server options better since I can just use desktop parts.

I installed Jellyfin and my dreaded NFS performance issues seem to have resurfaced again whenever I try to use it. Either need to find something other than NFS or just upgrade all the hardware. I think NFS itself is the bottleneck and not the hardware though... I could look at switching to iSCSI but that's trickier to setup once I start introducing multiple VM hosts as I need a cluster aware file system. There's Gluster but that is ridiculously complicated to setup.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
VM server. :p

But yeah not paying like 10 grand for a cpu lol. Probably stick with 8 cores and go Xeon route. Even the 8 core Epycs are crazy expensive. I'd probably be building 3 VM servers anyway to create a proper HA cluster.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
VM server. :p

But yeah not paying like 10 grand for a cpu lol. Probably stick with 8 cores and go Xeon route. Even the 8 core Epycs are crazy expensive. I'd probably be building 3 VM servers anyway to create a proper HA cluster.

Eh? 24 core 2U Epyc servers from dell is like C$8400 with 256gb ram brand new.

HA is stupid for home lab.

Last edited:

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
the ECC in DDR5 spec is not end to end ECC, so servers will still need proper ECC ram.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Eh? 24 core 2U Epyc servers from dell is like C$8400 with 256gb ram brand new.

HA is stupid for home lab.

Dell must be getting them at better prices then. I was looking at just the CPUs alone. They seem to be in the upper 1k to 10k range.

I want HA mostly so I can shift VMs around servers and also have more redundancy. My storage is still going to be the single point of failure though. I do want to look into clustered storage at some point. Maybe even do away with having dedicated storage and have it on the servers, but shared. Gluster or something. Complex to setup though. Lot of stuff to look into. I just find I have lot of performance issues with my current setup so I do want to start rethinking it and making it better.

With free ESXi I don't really have any easy means of adding VM server capacity either since I don't get any of the features like vmotion, HA etc so that's mainly why I would move to Proxmox. Last I tried it, it was finicky though, but it might be better now.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Finally took down my Christmas garlands. I'll do the lights tomorrow probably. It was just a quick thing while it was nice out as I got home from work.

Soon enough, I'll be putting them back up though.

FuTIftD.jpg

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Whelp I just spent $372.88. Told myself I'd avoid big purchases until I get the credit line paid off but I really needed a new computer chair. This gaming chair is just not cutting it, it's too wide and deep so I can never really sit properly in it and it seems to have formed a "memory" so even when I try to sit more properly it does not work out. Since I'll be on more day shifts now I'll be spending more time working from home so I want a more ergonomic chair.

Went with a mesh chair, so hopefully that ends up being ok, never tried one of those before, but I feel it will keep it's shape better, and it will probably be easy enough to clean if my cat pukes on it so I won't have to toss it like some of my previous chairs. Even the leather chairs are pretty much a write off since the liquid part of the puke just gets into the seams and into the inner cushion. Being mesh my cat might not even want to be on it as it will probably not be comfortable for her.

bigboxes

Lifer
Apr 6, 2002
Well, I fixed my USB issues by updating the bios. I was able to map my server's drives to my main rig after a lot of effort last night. Installed Open Shell to restore the Win7 Start Menu. Also, put Geddy back on the desktop!

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Well, I fixed my USB issues by updating the bios. I was able to map my server's drives to my main rig after a lot of effort last night. Installed Open Shell to restore the Win7 Start Menu. Also, put Geddy back on the desktop!

Eh? Why would mapping drives be a lot of effort?

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Got my new chair today. Much better than the gaming chair I had. Not as bulky and I can actually sit properly in it. The gamer chair was probably made for a stereotypical 200lb gamer lol. My cat is not too impressed though, not enough room for her to sleep behind or beside me anymore. :p

bigboxes

Lifer
Apr 6, 2002
Eh? Why would mapping drives be a lot of effort?

It's about sharing files from a Win 7 computer (server) to a Win 10. Windows 10 doesn't enable SMB1 by default. I didn't know that. Did research and came up with a lot of stuff to try. I ended up enabling SMB1, but I still wasn't able to see the other computers. Eventually, I did a full reset on my router. I had to redo all my security settings. Then power cycle my cable modem.Then after awhile I saw the server in network locations. Then it was easy mapping drives.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Win7 FTW. I feel I will be stuck upgrading my game machine to win 10 at some point though. Guess it won't be that bad since I literally use that machine only for games, so as long as I fix the start menu with Classic Shell and have the game launchers on the desktop, it's not like I'll be doing much with the OS itself. I will want to block all the MS IP addresses at my firewall though to prevent the spying stuff and also disable the forced updates.

Reactions: bigboxes

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Been trying to find off grid land and there's like nothing on the market so far this year and even part of last year. Market is completely dry.

But there is this one small plot that is lake front, looks like a decent area. It's around 3 acres but only 160 feet wide and like 800 feet long, then there's 500 feet of crown land before you get to the lake. Starting to wonder if I should just put an offer on that property as I think the days of getting a 40+ acre plot might be over, that ship has sailed. Might be the best compromise. Get a half decent amount of land, AND lake front. 160 feet appears to be roughly the width of 3 typical size house yards, so it's still half decently wide where as long as I build within the middle I can still maintain privacy, should the lots on either side get developed.

It's 2 hours from here though so it's kinda far, it's not something I'd go spend only a day at but I would want to spend at least the week to make the drive worthwhile. It's doable though, if I was to eventually live there I can still come visit my family and I can either get a hotel for that night or stay at their house.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
At the very beginning stages it would literally be a spot to pitch a tent and camp at while I slowly clear an area to build. I would not be in a financial position to build anything big for a while anyway. My goal is to just secure land and have a camping spot of my own.

bigboxes

Lifer
Apr 6, 2002
Been trying to find off grid land and there's like nothing on the market so far this year and even part of last year. Market is completely dry.

But there is this one small plot that is lake front, looks like a decent area. It's around 3 acres but only 160 feet wide and like 800 feet long, then there's 500 feet of crown land before you get to the lake. Starting to wonder if I should just put an offer on that property as I think the days of getting a 40+ acre plot might be over, that ship has sailed. Might be the best compromise. Get a half decent amount of land, AND lake front. 160 feet appears to be roughly the width of 3 typical size house yards, so it's still half decently wide where as long as I build within the middle I can still maintain privacy, should the lots on either side get developed.

It's 2 hours from here though so it's kinda far, it's not something I'd go spend only a day at but I would want to spend at least the week to make the drive worthwhile. It's doable though, if I was to eventually live there I can still come visit my family and I can either get a hotel for that night or stay at their house.

At the very beginning stages it would literally be a spot to pitch a tent and camp at while I slowly clear an area to build. I would not be in a financial position to build anything big for a while anyway. My goal is to just secure land and have a camping spot of my own.

Sounds like you're just settling. I would wait to find what you want. You act like the money is burning a hole in your wallet. Sounds like you need someone else to find you a property and to do the purchase for you. That way you could concentrate on what is important. Land is always for sale. Wait to find what you really are looking for. Being stuck with a lot that has weird dimensions or is not the acreage you wanted seems to be a rushed decision. What is your hurry?

Last edited: