++ ATOT official NEF thread part IV ++

Page 7449 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
zjnRqGK.jpg

That's basically what the moutguard is lol. Or it may as well be because that's what it feels like when I have it on. Still does not actually stop the clenching though, the muscles are still forcing for 8 hours straight.

Really hope there's something my doctor can do to make it stop... have appointment coming up in a few weeks. This has gotten exponentially worse in the past week or so.

bigboxes

Lifer
Apr 6, 2002
That's basically what the moutguard is lol. Or it may as well be because that's what it feels like when I have it on. Still does not actually stop the clenching though, the muscles are still forcing for 8 hours straight.

Really hope there's something my doctor can do to make it stop... have appointment coming up in a few weeks. This has gotten exponentially worse in the past week or so.

Haven't you had anxiety issues recently? That's what I'd guess it is. You had to change to a regular day schedule. You said it cleared up. Back to ever changing day/night scheduling.Back to anxiety.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Haven't you had anxiety issues recently? That's what I'd guess it is. You had to change to a regular day schedule. You said it cleared up. Back to ever changing day/night scheduling.Back to anxiety.

That was a couple years back, had depression. Feeling fine now, but I think the clenching actually started back then and just never went away. I found out about a year ago as I thought it was my wisdom teeth bothering me but when they checked them they said I clench at night. I really did not want to be stuck with a mouth guard so I kept procrastinating but eventually gave in realizing this is not going away. But now it only started to get worse in past few weeks to the point that I really need to find actual treatment now. Hoping botox and muscle relaxants can maybe help. Problem is those things are only temporary. But if I can at least let the jaw heal maybe it won't be as bad after.

bigboxes

Lifer
Apr 6, 2002
Well, I ordered a 5950X for only $200 over retail. Getting new everything. Well, except for the video card. No one would blame me for waiting on that. Have a 1080Ti. I think I'll be just fine for quite a while.

Here's a rundown on the parts:
  • AMD Ryzen 9 5950X CPU
  • Fractal Design Define 7 Gunmetal/Gray (inlcudes 2 x 140mm fans and 1 x 120mm fan)
  • Seasonic PRIME TX-850 PSU
  • Asus WS X570-Ace motherboard
  • G.Skill TridentZ RGB Series DDR4 3200 CL14 (14-14-14-34) at 1.35V (8GB x 4)
  • Noctua NH-D15 chromax.Black, Dual-Tower CPU Cooler (140mm, Black)
  • Samsung 980 Pro 2TB
I wanted expandability and a well made case. I believe that @sdifox mentioned Fractal Design. Lian-Li is going all tempered glass. I don't want windows. It will sit under my desk. Interesting is that it comes with two 140mm intake fans. Anyone have any experience with Fractal Design case fans? I hate RGB on the memory, but couldn't find another model in stock that was on the QVL and had those tight timings. So, I went with the bling ram. Will never see it, but will turn it off if I'm able. I'm going to have to wait a week or two for the case and a couple of months for the power supply. I don't need those to make sure everything works though. Those power supplies can be tough to come by, but I got it at a price I'm comfortable with. Going to be fun putting it altogether!
pQZ6QaY.png

Edit: looks like the Noctua cooler will take a week. The CPU delivery is estimated for next Monday, as well.

Last edited:

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
I am using my case from my old Opteron 165. I don't know anything about new cases lol.

Ultra Dragon I think that was its name.

IMG_20191222_181855.jpg

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Done my last night shift, decided to just stay up. Easier to transition to day mode. Going longer without sleep might also give my jaw a longer break.

Need to do a Walmart return for something I accidentally ordered twice and while I'm there I'll go browse the pharmacy like a kid in a candy store, see what goodies I find. I wonder if Aleve might help.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Those dragon cases are classics. They don't make quality like that anymore.

I find most cases now have terrible cooling, there is this odd fad of not having proper front ventilation. I saw a review on this hilarious case that had like 10+ fans, yet it still had bad cooling due to zero thought of airflow in the design.

bigboxes

Lifer
Apr 6, 2002
Got the ram, M.2 SSD and mobo today. Giggity.

Here's is the ram with the modules flipped. Gray on one side. Black on the other.
nJrEMpEh.jpg

Here's a case badge for your pro dragon @sdifox
p72E4wrh.jpg

Samsung 980 Pro SSD. Notice the PCIe 4.0!
pQZ6QaY.png

fUt8llih.jpg

Asus WS X570-Ace. It's plain with no bling.
oYZG7zEh.jpg

Cover for active heatsink for X570 chipset
ljR5wHjh.jpg

Heatsink for M.2 SSD
x6Zz8GNh.jpg

The sound chipset doesn't look as robust as my old workstation board. Hopefully, it sounds as good.
zdTmCLMh.jpg

It's interesting going back to AMD and their PGA sockets. Been on the dark side since 2009.
buvFgH8h.jpg

Mondo heatsink and copper heatpipe for all those power stages
p0AFdUXh.jpg

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Nice. I have yet to do a build with a M.2 drive, I don't even think any of my motherboards support it. I'm kinda eager to do a build just because it's been a while but reality is I don't really have the need or money so still riding on what I got now. A gaming machine would probably be my next build, be nice to get into the higher end AAA games. My current machine with my 1070 TI is more than good enough for the games I play now though.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
And yeah I basically got up in middle of the night lol. Been up since like 2am. Stayed up after my last night shift so ended up going to bed in the day. Still, this is one of the fastest way to revert back. By tomorrow I will be back to normal.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Jaw feeling a bit better today. I sleep the hardest in the morning hours and that's probably where the clenching is at it's worse, maybe the trick is to just get up before then lol.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Oh man this coffee is so good. For some reason my home made coffee has been tasting bad and I can't figure out why, but this one turned out good. I almost wonder if it was the thermos I use to put the coffee in from the carafe. I gave it a really good cleaning today. I also used distilled water to make the coffee with. I can't see why the water would be an issue though as I have a good filter system, but tomorrow I will try with the regular water again to see if it changes anything.

Been meaning to look into buying or making a water distiller or ionizer so I can use it for the humidifier, maybe even hot water if the flow rate is high enough, and then of course UPS batteries, and coffee. Funny enough someone was selling one on FB, I should have bought it.

bigboxes

Lifer
Apr 6, 2002
Nice. I have yet to do a build with a M.2 drive, I don't even think any of my motherboards support it. I'm kinda eager to do a build just because it's been a while but reality is I don't really have the need or money so still riding on what I got now. A gaming machine would probably be my next build, be nice to get into the higher end AAA games. My current machine with my 1070 TI is more than good enough for the games I play now though.

How old ARE your motherboards? My motherboard from 2014 (the one that just died) had an M.2 slot. Just never used it. My 1151 mobo (the one in the server) has one. Been using 2.5" SATA drives up until this point.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Probably from around that era actually... maybe they do have support for it and I just never noticed. I never even knew they were a thing until a few years ago tbh.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Ok I was wrong. Jaw in a LOT of pain. Had to bail out half way through eating a bagel. Going to have to stick to a liquid diet I think. Mostly soup. Just took more Advil. Can't wait to see my doctor I really hope there's treatment for this. Can't go on like this forever. Need to make this ridiculous night time clenching stop. This is ruining my life.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Back from ER, waiting on pharmacy for meds to be ready.

Going to be seeing a chiropractor and physiotherapist as well so I should probably make appointment for those. Hopefully that helps, since the drugs are just temporary relief. Getting old sucks.