++ ATOT official NEF thread part IV ++

Page 7276 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
9247g64lzmz41.jpg

Ready for takeoff!

bigboxes

Lifer
Apr 6, 2002
I want to replace my struts, but I don't have a 22mm socket or wrench. I've got a s21mm and a 23mm. I bought the larger set and for some reason it comes without a 22mm.

bigboxes

Lifer
Apr 6, 2002
I did purchase some new toyota struts. I've replaced my struts before using quick struts (complete strut assembly). The ride sucked. That was on an older (than current vehicle) Camry. So, this time I bought the struts directly from Toyota and will be reusing the spring and all the hardware.

I've had these strut spring compressors for a long time and have never used them. Time to put them to use.

I also got a new strut mount for the right side. That is the side where I'm getting a clunking sound. I figure these need to be replaced anyways at this point. I may replace the ball joints and sway bar links. I think If I replace the control arms they come with the ball joint. At least one of them.

It's kind of cool to get experience doing new repairs. It would be a lot easier with a lift and pneumatic tools.

bigboxes

Lifer
Apr 6, 2002
Went to Sears today for the first time in years. Purchased a 22mm deep well socket and a 22mm combination wrench. Doesn't matter how many tools you have. There's always something else you need. It's still a lot cheaper than paying someone else when I can do it myself.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Went to Sears today for the first time in years. Purchased a 22mm deep well socket and a 22mm combination wrench. Doesn't matter how many tools you have. There's always something else you need. It's still a lot cheaper than paying someone else when I can do it myself.

Last several times I went to Sears I couldnt find anything i needed. Half of those visits had me wandering around look for an associate.

bigboxes

Lifer
Apr 6, 2002
Last several times I went to Sears I couldnt find anything i needed. Half of those visits had me wandering around look for an associate.

I believe it was 2013 since the last time I had stepped into that store. It took me forever to find a sales associate. When I did, they were incompetent.

In the year 2020, their store is half empty. But they did have what I was looking for. It's the only reason I stepped foot in the store. Or the mall for that matter.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I oddly kinda miss Sears. It was a fixture at the mall, one of the biggest stores, and I went there often enough, though mostly in my childhood with my mom. Also remember circling what I wanted for Christmas in the catalogue. That is like something part of most people's childhood I imagine. But times change.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Actually I think 21mm is exactly what I needed to take off my hitch. That came in a while back but it was just too cold to go do it. Next time I'm off I'll be able to go do that. Hopefully I'll be able to get it off, it's rusted pretty badly. The whole truck is rusted really, it's bad. It looked good on the lot... lol.

zzuupp

Lifer
Jul 6, 2008
The Sears down here closed a year ago. It had be circling the drain for at least a year before that.

bigboxes

Lifer
Apr 6, 2002
It stormed at 3 in the morning, so I decided not to do the car repair. I wasn't sure if it would rain again in the afternoon. I should've done the work, but hindsight. It's supposed to have thunderstorms here for the next couple of weeks. Boo.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
This hand sanitizer they have at Home Depot has an oddly nostalgic smell but I can't figure where I've smelled that before. I didn't think of noticing the brand, I just used it and went on my way, but I can still get a whiff of it now.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
So turns out, I suck at drywalling. Every time I go to do a sheet something does not line up right so I'm shaving the edge a bit and it's overall a pretty botched job. Lots of plastering will be involved.... lol. That's why I'm doing the crawlspace first, for practice, which I apparently need.

Also I always assumed those little tabs on electrical boxes were so there is enough of the box that sticks out for drywall. Nope need to stick it out more than that. . All my boxes are too deep. I'll have to figure something out for that when it comes time to put the plates on.